Can I use the Anova to Maintain Water Temperatures Lower than Ambient?

I am trying to find a cheap solution (under $100) to maintain water at a relativly constant temperature (in the range of 40F to 80F) for a heat transfer class experiment. It is my understanding that the Anova Sous Vide is meant for heating food; however, I have noticed that the device allows for a set temperature as low as 32F. Would this device work at maintaining the temperautre if I submered it in ice water in an insulated container? For example the water would initially be at 32F (ice water) and the Anova would heat up the water until say 45F? Any alternatives or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve set frozen food (in a bag) in an ice bath and used the device to circulate the water, to help speed thawing. As long as there was a supply of something colder than the bath temperature, the anova will maintain an elevated temperature. Now in your case, what prevents the bath temperature from climbing after the ice melts? The anova only has a heater coil, it does not have a cooling capability. Even if you set everything in an insulated container, you will not be able to control the temperature without supplying something cold. So a couple of possible solutions for you would be to get a cooler with a thermo-electric cooling system or to have your set-up inside a mini-fridge.

This is not the tool for that job. The Anova is a heater, not a cooler, if you set the temp to a temperature that’s lower than the water temperature the heat will simply not turn on but the water will not become cooler no matter how low the sous vide is set. You may notice that the temp is lower than the air temp but that’s because you have something cold in it. Eventually it will warm up to the temp of standing water in the same environment. The only use I could see for setting a temp at a super low (just above freezing) temp is if you were in the tundra the the sous vide was outside trying to keep a small amount of water from freezing but not warm if that helps.