Cooler Cooker

This is fantastic. I’d never have thought of it, and yet it seems obvious in retrospect. Nice work.

Worth mentioning that the machine will run more efficiently in a truly insulated enclosure.

Thank you!

Cooper, should I assume you used a 2 3/8" hole saw to get this hole in the cooler lid?

Thanks

–Sean

Yes, Put down masking tape or duct tape on both sides of the lid before cutting the hole. Keeps the plastic from burring badly. When your done you will have to line the hole with duct tape or some other method because the styrofoam in the lid will keep beading out.
I would measure the Anova and the outside of the holesaw teeth to ensure the unit will fit but not fall through. I am not sure if there may be any differences, but the old adage measure twice, cut once (or bore once) still holds true.
Enjoy!

Just a reminder - 2 3/8" is the circumference of the APC. For styrofoam or other materials that have some give, you’ll likely be fine, but for hard plastics and polycarbonate, you likely want to use a 2 1/2" hole saw, then edge with something softer to create a seal (but still have enough give to be able to get the APC in and out easily).

2 Likes

Thanks, Fischer
Anova’s guide on here also recommends a 2 3/8", but tbh I was thinking something slightly larger to accommodate a a thin sleeve might be better

Like this user has made use of grommets

I’m gonna do a bunch of pilot holes on scrap plywood first and get a working system before I drill the cooler.

I am still not 100% set on what I will do. But I really appreciate the advice.

–Sean