Corrosion on 220v unit

Here are some pics from my unit: Cloudup

I did a poor job taking pictures, but you can still see some pretty clear rust/corrosion.

I’ve got about 100 hours on my Anova One and I’m starting to see some rust and minor pitting similar to mdubc. I’ve been using filtered tap water which seems to have slowed, but not stopped, the corrosion problem. Customer service doesn’t seem to be able to address this issue properly since their response was to clean it with Lime-A-Way or vinegar. Apologies for the lousy cell phone pics

That pearlescent shine on parts of it would be what I would expect from “the probe picking up minerals in the water” but you do have a pretty severe blob of corrosion there. I wonder how this will affect the lifespan of the product, if it managed to eat it’s entire way through, whether or not the rest of the parts would fail before the probe drops to bits.

@aarthur‌ Could you please return your unit so we can take a look? Returns – Anova Culinary

Happy to do that @"Stephen Svajian"‌ , but I haven’t received my production unit yet (“status=unfulfilled” as of yesterday) and I use the unit a couple of times a week so don’t want to be without it, especially over Xmas. I’m a 220v with backer id in the 6000’s, so maybe mid-late January?

hmm, i took a closer look at my unit last night and it is also showing signs of rust
basically the same water sensor starting to brown at the same place as the pictures above

220v in Australia - have used filtered water from day 1
Its concerning for sure but i’m also worried about the paid of having to return it to the US and waiting for a replacement unit…

I received a 110V unit today and ran the unit for about 1.5 hrs today. After I was done, I dried off the unit and noticed that I am seeing signs of rust on the same probe that others are seeing. This concerns me because I haven’t even gotten a chance to run the unit for that long and already this seems to be an issue.

@kchaing‌ Please submit a return request here: Returns – Anova Culinary

Ouchie, received mine just yesterday and ran a 3 hour test. Then I saw this thread and checked the level probes. Yup, very tiny specks of corrosion are already present.

This is not good. It’s strange that this seems to have been known since the beginning of November, yet has not been solved in the following production run. I can’t even imagine this problem not being present in the Anova precision cooker and Anova One, unless cheaper suppliers were used and QA was sacrificed for speedy delivery.

I haven’t done it yet, but it doesn’t look too difficult to open and replace the probes. Maybe Anova can just send corrosion proof replacement probes with an instruction leaflet for the technically savvy instead of having to manage the return of a zillion number of cookers?

I have just received a 220V Anova precision Cooker and I will watch the corrosion issue.
I have used an Anova One for several months. Very happy with it!
Checked the corrosion on the Anova One and it also have a dark discoloration from rust, but not any deep corrosion as we have seen on the pictures above. The 2 other sensors does not have any discoloration. (picture of Anova One attached)
The 5V conductivity water level measurement is a likely reason for the corrosion.

The corrosion will probably not cause any function failure for many years for any of the models, but anything that worries the customers should be considered as a problem that should be solved.
Still, I think Anova should consider to move up to a higher quality of stainless steel, SS 301 or may be an acid resistant type.

Many years ago I worked in a car factory as an engineer. We got a problem with customers complaining about rust on the manifold (exhaust exit made of steel, gets very hot) for our new luxury model. The solution I proposed was to paint the manifold with a rust colored paint. It worked, no more complaints!

I’ve just received my 220v model, and have used it twice, so no corrosion yet.

However, I was wondering about that horrible hose clamp on the heating element. What is the bit that is clamped to the element?

Is the clamp there for electrical continuity, or to mechanically support the other “probe”.

If it’s just a mechanical support, I was thinking of replacing it with a silicon rubber made to measure double sleeve.

What do y’all think?

Mine has a few teeny rusty spots on the probe, but that hose clamp does look out of place. Mine is bending two of the probes together. What’s the point of it?

I used my 220V unit for the first time for 45 mins and have already noticed discoloration and tiny rust spots as discussed above.

I have noticed the same problem with my unit. I have a white 110v unit used only 3 times.
i.imgur.com/K3eSv9w.jpg

I was quite surprised when I first opened the dev unit and saw the hose clamp. Thought it might have been removed from the design by the time it got to production, but no. I’m intrigued by its function. I don’t think it’s to electrically bond the probe to the heater element, as the both pass through a stainless washer at the top of the unit that would be much easier to electrically bond them with. So maybe the PID has been implemented with a very close thermal coupling to the heater so that it can work out the temp differential between the heating element and the water (the other temp probe is just above the impeller) so more accurately hit the target temp and avoid overshoot. I don’t like the way it bends the probe like that though - would be putting unnecessary mechanical stress somewhere.

It really lets the whole aesthetic aspect down. I can appreciate that the dev units were rushed, but there are surely better ways of achieving whatever function it serves in the production units.

If Anova would let us in on the secret, I would work out a better way of doing it on mine, for sure.

I just got my 110v precision cooker about a week ago. I just used it for the 3rd time and dediced to check for rust on the probe, and yep, a small but noticeable amount of rust. How much should I worry about this?

I noticed it on a test and the first run. But have been drying off/rubbing down the probe straight after use and it seems to have pretty much gone away

I just received 2x 220v cookers. Black & White.

Both unused, straight out of the box. The black one has the same brown rust residue on the probe. White one doesn’t (yet?).

Same issue here with a new black 110V production unit run continuously for about 48 hours. The discoloration (rust color) on the probe transferred to a paper towel when rubbing/drying the unit. Please advise if there are any solutions in the works–thanks!