Enhance flavor of my ribeye

Cooked first steak today and was totally blown away how great it turned out Just like they said it would. But the ribeye didn’t have the flavor I’d hoped for .I salted and peppered, and put a garlic clove in before cooking. Seared with butter and it looked awesome. Any ideas on how to add some flavor?
Thanks
Norman

Sometimes it is just the steak. Myself I find it better to season pre browning

Buy better quality meat.

There seems to be this common misconception that sous vide will magically turn crap quality meat into some kind of  magically delicious meal.  Garbage in = Garbage out.  No amount of sous vide can turn an $8 select ribeye into wagyu.

This was not a “piece of crap” as you said. This was a "prime cut ". In case you didn’t know prime is kind of hard to get, but I managed. Your calling my meat a piece of crap was totally wrong. Don’t respond to any of my questions again because of your ignorance.

Don’t know where you live, but I’ve never had a problem finding prime grade meat. 

BTW - I didn’t call your  meat crap.  I was speaking generally, sorry you took it wrong.  If you look around here and other forums and the interwebz in general, there are a lot of people who seem to think that sous vide will make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.  

I do buy cheap meat when I can although prime and even faux wagyu are available. Some of the best pork I have bought was exceptionally reasonably priced.  But there are no real standards for flavourful meat. You are what you eat and so are cows. Some steaks are better than others and often you can tell by looking at them.

I have also splurged on prime and will probably splurge on a waygu type and others. There is usually a difference in tenderness and flavour but not always in favour of the more expensive cut. Anyway quality is important as is budget for me. IMO sous vide does make a crap steak better:) A red wine reduction after searing is an added bonus. And sautéed onions and mushrooms give it that authentic gourmet or steak house feeling. I sear with ghee or coconut oil as they don't burn as much but I have also used butter and canola etc. And I season when I sear as sous vide garlic is not that great at steak temp. Just my opinion and you will quickly figure out your own prefernces.

1 Like

> @Helen said:

I do buy cheap meat when I can although prime and even faux wagyu are available. Some of the best pork I have bought was exceptionally reasonably priced.  But there are no real standards for flavourful meat. You are what you eat and so are cows. Some steaks are better than others and often you can tell by looking at them.

Pork is an interesting one, unlike beef, there is no grading standard for it.  One of the biggest problems with pork being flavorful, or rather the lack thereof, is overbreeding. The average commercial “pink oinker” is approaching  the level of supermarket tomatoes when it comes to flavor.  Their breeding is for size above all else to maximize profits, flavor is secondary.  As you said, diet does help to some extent although some farmers will breed in heritage animals periodically to help the flavor out.   The first time I bought from a local independent pig farmer selling “heritage pork” was the time the difference in flavor with the older less-commercial breeds really sunk home.  I’m not going to pretend to know all of what breeds he raises, I recall duroc and berkshire, but there were about 3-4 others too.  Pricing wasn’t unreasonable.  About double what the average supermarket charges.  Flavor, off the chart better.  My 2-cents…

1 Like

I spray my steak with some Mesquite Grilling Spray from Two Trees Products www.twotreesproducts.com, sprinkle it with steak seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning,  or a coffee steak rub and then vacuum seal it.  After cooking in the APC I pat it dry with paper towels, spray again so it won’t stick to my grill and drop it on a screaming hot grill (I have a gas grill) at a diagonal and turn 90 degrees after 30 seconds.  Turn steak over and repeat.  2 minutes total grill time.  The most flavorful steak I’ve ever had.  Tastes like it was cooked on the prairie over a mesquite fire.  Add a good bottle of red wine and I’ve got heaven on earth.