I cooked a chicken breast and a steak at the same time for 1 ½ hours at 150f my chicken is slightly

Pink is it ok to eat?

Why on earth would you do that?  (did some blog suggest it’s ok to eat med-rare chicken?)

Seriously though, I wouldn’t gamble with poultry.  Especially in the US.  Very prone to salmonella.  Me, I never eat pink poultry.

Oddly enough, one place the 150 degree recommendation appears is from a recipe ascribed to Kenji Lopez-Alt that appears on the home site recipe page.

@Gswieso said:
Oddly enough, one place the 150 degree recommendation appears is from a recipe ascribed to Kenji Lopez-Alt that appears on the home site recipe page.

Ok, that made me want to read up a bit more (me, I would likely only sous-vide chicken if I had a large group over - it’s just so much simpler to do breasts in my toaster oven) :slight_smile:

The folks over at Serious Eats have a great guide here:  How to Cook Sous Vide Chicken Breast | The Food Lab

@Meemeetx - that your meat was still pink suggests you didn’t cook it long enough.  Was the chicken frozen when you threw it in the bath?  

The author on Serious Eats actually suggests their favourite temp for chicken is 140F.  You simply need to ensure you’re cooking it long enough, so all of the bacteria are killed (and the meat is cooked to your desired doneness).  You really don’t want to be eating pink poultry - that suggests it isn’t cooked enough.

I do chicken breasts all the time. I cook several and either eat them as a main course or slice fro topping on my salad for Lunch. I cook them at 145° F for about 1.5 hours. The texture is different than overcooked chicken that has been baked or fried but it is not pink at all. I should note that all of mine have been boneless.

If you are uncomfortable with the pink just sauté it till the pink goes away (1 minute?). It will be delicious.