I should have tried salmon sooner

Although I have been using the APC for some time now, I had never got round to using it to cook salmon. That was a mistake because it turned out great.

As a first step I put a half fillet in a bag with nothing else at all. I cooked it for 2 hours at 120F/49C. Some albumin formed but it rinsed off easily. I didn’t do any finishing step.

As you can see it was moist and evenly cooked. I worried a bit about the low temperature, but since the cook time was less than 4 hours I went ahead.

1 Like

Try Halibut. It is a difficult fish to get perfect using normal methods but very easy with the Anova. Fish cooked this way has always turned out great for me.

1 Like

Love cooked sous vide salmon. I do need to cook it up more often.

What thickness of fish are you typically using John? And are you searing to finish ?

1 Like

I typically do not sear halibut steaks. I present them as I would a piece of poached fish. I find halibut so sensitive to overcooking that I do not want to dry it out with a sear. Halibut has become quite expensive so why take the chance on overcooking. Normally I try and get pieces over an inch in thickness. Since I do not sear it is not as critical as it would be on a very thin piece.

1 Like