Unimpressed with fish

So far I’m thinking SV is not great for fish. Do you disagree?

yes, i do

What fish have you tried? Thickness… Temperatures… Times… Finishes.

I disagree too.

Great, can someone recommend a great recipe?

I disagree as well. In my opinion, it’s great for fish. When I sous vide them, I don’t sear. Just grab 'em right out of the bag. Do you have any particular fish in mind that you’re looking for? I love salmon - here’s a few.

This: www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-104-f

I was really happy with the salmon I did. I brined first. The texture and body of the fish was good. The taste was excellent.

1 Like

I’m a fan of SV fish. Like @AlyssaWOAH, I don’t sear either. My go-to is about 53 degrees C for salmon, time varies with thickness.

1 Like

I disagree too. We’ve had some of the best salmon with our Anova; also tried steelhead trout with great success

1 Like

ditto. fresh fish is great. I have also tried the vacuum packed frozen 2 packs at the grocer and it’s also great with the added bonus of being vacuum sealed. seems to be available in all kinds of species. Dump and Go! The only exception I’ve found is Ahi, because it should be seared only. (and fresh)

I’m not a fish eater, so I really can’t comment good or bad. But I notice that @Vision hasn’t said anything about what type of fish has been tried, how it was prepared or anything for us to see what his/her opinion is based upon.

Currently the post is simply “fish = bad”

This opinion could be based upon a single attempt with a piece of basa that had been in the freezer for three years. Or it could be based upon 20 cooking attempts with various kinds of fish both fresh and frozen.

A little more information would be great to see if there are any errors in your cook, etc.

I tried cod twice, once was the anova miso recipe the second was at 135 for 45 minutes. Both times the fish fell apart. Both weren’t impressive. The best part is all the liquid that ends up in the bag, it’s a fantastic soup, but I wasn’t trying to make soup.

Like I said, I’m not a fish fan. But I do know that there aren’t a great deal of similarities between different breeds of fish. I’ll let the others take it from here.

It’s a mighty leap to jump from just that to any sweeping conclusions about SV and fish in general. Although many people really like what SV does for hamburgers, I’m mot that thrilled with it myself…but I certainly wouldn’t say that SV isn’t a good technique to use for red meat in general, or even just beef.

One of the more popular applications of SV is salmon. Give that a try and see if your opinion changes.

1 Like

Aren’t you taking a mighty leap to conclude I didn’t research this topic before posting the thread?

You were asked what experience with fish your opinion was based on. You replied that you tried cod twice, and cited absolutely nothing else. There was no leap required on my part. I simply took you at your word.

I have done salmon, halibut, swordfish, marlin, mahi-mahi, all with great success. Put in bag with lemon slices, fresh thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Delicious. My wife even likes it and she is not a fish eater.

1 Like

I agree about hamburger the doneness was to my liking but even with a good sear I prefer it on the grill or pan. As far as fish goes I have done salmon twice, the first time it was too under for my taste so I upped the temp and went a little longer and quick seared it and it was real good.

1 Like

“I have done salmon, halibut, swordfish, marlin, mahi-mahi, all with great success. Put in bag with lemon slices, fresh thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Delicious. My wife even likes it and she is not a fish eater.”

What temp and time are you using? It’s not falling apart?