Seafood Recommendation

Ever since a childhood trauma (don’t ask) I’ve had a dislike of seafood. Battered white fish fillet with chips is about as far as I usually go. Obviously seafood has various health benefits, and I understand that cooking fish sous-vide can give spectacular results, so I’m keen to give it a go. As you can probably appreciate, I’m a complete novice when it comes to fish, and a bit squeamish when it comes to things like crab, squid, mussels and the like, so I would be most interested in seeing simple beginner-level recommendations for fish fillets, preferably not from over-fished stocks such as tuna. So what should I try?

To start out with I would suggest that you try and get fresh seafood if at all possible. If you cannot get fresh then try frozen. Stay away from fish marked previously frozen as you have no idea how long it has been since it was thawed. I also will not eat farm raised salt water fish for a variety of reasons including their food. I would start with the mildest white fish you can get and work up to the bolder flavors. Also rock lobster is very good with a little drawn butter.

I live near the Indian Ocean (Perth, Western Australia) and there’s a large fresh fish supplier just down the road from where I work. The white fish sounds ideal, do you have a link to a recipe you think will be suitable?

@Simon_C What I would suggest is to look on the internet for a halibut or cod recipe that appeals to you. Both are milder white fish and would be similar to what you can get. I normally have my fish pretty plain maybe with just a little fresh dill and sea salt. You also can get fresh flounder which is a very delicate mild fish and one of my favorites. You are lucky to have such a variety of fish unfortunately I am not familiar with most of them. I see you have varieties of snapper as well. I would suggest them as the second step on your journey into seafood.

I know it is a bit basic BUT salmon is great for sous-vide´ing since you can “poach” it in a more controlled way and in a much more flavorfull liquid solution! At a very nice site called “ChefSteps” they have a simple yet delishiouslooking recipe for “poached” salmon

ChefSteps • Salmon 104˚F • Salmon Mi Cuit - YouTube.

This recipe is very basic and very neutral but it really makes the salmon shine IMO.
Ps. if you dont want to have links in the posts then PM me and ill remove it :wink:

@Simon_C Have you ventured into the sea yet? I am interested in the fish you chose and how it turned out. I live near Chicago but I come from a small island near Seattle, Washington and I know a lot of people that have an aversion to fish. This comes I belive from eating it when it was hard to get good fresh fish here in the Midwest. We pay for shipping but overnight delivery insures that fresh fish is pretty good. Nothing like catching a nice fish and cooking it over a beach fire though.

I’ve cooked salmon several times using something similar to ChefSteps’ poaching method. For a 1.5" thick piece of salmon, I salt and pepper it, then pop it into a ziploc and cook it at 122F for at least 40 minutes, and serve it with a lemon burre blanc.

Salmon 122℉ tender and flaky (tender: 104℉, well: 140℉), 00:40 - 1:00 for 1.5” fillets

Cod, Snapper, etc, 138℉ for 1:30 for 1” thick.

Scallops 140℉ for 00:40 Using ¾ cup water, some cider vinegar, and some salt bath in the bag. Dry the scallops, then sear in smoking high-temp vegetable oil…