New Anova App Horrible

Telling me that I don’t need the functions that I paid for so my complaints are irrelevant is insulting. The Anova does not work as advertised in too many cases. That is an unfortunate fact and folks need to vent.

I doubt many of you would buy a new car with cruise control and not complain loudly if it hadn’t worked for the year since you bought the car. If all GM did was tell you they were updating the software to solve the problem I doubt you would stop complaining. Would you like to be told “you can drive the car without cruise control so stop complaining”…

1 Like

There’s just a little difference between the price of a car and the price of an Anova.

But I don’t believe that anyone is telling you not to complain, merely offering ways to use the device while waiting for resolution on the app issue, and suggesting that the complaints be directed somewhere that they might have an impact.

2 Likes

LOL! Michi, stop teasing! :slight_smile:

Things are starting to edge towards “Poe’s Law” here!

How can I set the ice bath notification without app?

PS
You can use app also for bbq/smoker… :wink:

Cosimo, I guess there’s a function on the face of the APC but I can’t figure out how to get it.

I have complained to Anova, spent time on the phone, and eventually got WIFI working. I complain here in the community because Anova monitors the forum. It’s on their website. They monitor comments on the William Sonoma site. I know because they contacted me when I posted an unfavorable review. I feel that management has their customer service people believing that customer satisfaction is important but will not expend the resources to get quality programmers. Given the state of their releases I would also guess that Anova does not have a software quality assurance team.

2 Likes

The ice bath function is only available through the app, but it has currently been withdrawn to be ‘reworked’ again.

Yes. Because writing code that monitors time and temperature, and starts the cooker when either the time is up, or the temperature gets too high (whichever comes first) is something that you can do after the first two hours of taking a basic programming course.

Meaning that it this is definitely a challenge. I feel with their programmers, the poor things…

This app is terrible! Can’t connect in Bluetooth or WiFi without combination of plugging and unplugging device and rebooting phone. “Set” time no longer starts when temperature is reached (begins when entered), yesterday timer ticked off one minute and then stopped working (tried twice with same result), and asks for password to Bluetooth pair, but won’t accept any of the suggested passwords (0000 or 1234). Was never able to get WiFi to work, even with old software, but this new app has only made things dramatically worse. Too bad because Sous Vide cooking is great!

2 Likes

Are there any mods here to show the app devs this thread? It would be nice if they saw our feedback

While the suggestion that an app is not needed was a bit of whimsical Australian mischief from user michihenning we’re still using an Anova One - so what’s app?

Actually even the timer is not absolutely necessary - here we mostly just set the temperature and press start - count time down or count time up up on a ThermoWorks Timestack.

No real representative from Anova currently. The best thing would be for everyone with an app problem to write feedback on the app download, then they might take notice.

Not whimsical at all. I haven’t used the app for about a year and a half. I gave up on it after multiple updates didn’t fix the numerous problems.

There is no need for an app. For recipes, Google leaves the app for dead. For setting the temperature, the scroll wheel gets me there quicker than the app. For the timer, it’s easier to just set an alarm on my phone. I’ll hear that alarm even when I’m outside, it doesn’t require a working bluetooth or internet connection, and I can set it in a fraction of the time it takes to set the timer with the app.

The app adds essentially nothing except complexity and lots of extra failure modes. Just say “no”, and your life with the Anova will be much happier.

1 Like

More or less the same point I made - the Anova 0ne is a pre-app device - and the ThermoWorks Timestack is a 4 in one kitchen timer with very loud alarms.

On re-reading still feel there is an element of whimsy - and that’s not a bad thing.

Well, whimsical or not, below is a link to a post I made almost two years ago. Ever since, I haven’t had a problem with the app, because I stopped using the app back then. The only thing the app achieves is to make things slower, more error prone, and more complicated. Since I stopped using the app, I haven’t had a problem with my cooker either because, without the app, it actually works quite well.

She was replying to the previous poster who was threatening to throw away his anova & buy a Joule

After months if complaining about the new horrible App, and messages from support that their developers were working on it ,here is the latest official response I received from anova support …“Sorry, the old app is no longer available. We can always update the app if users have issues with it.” :angry:

That’s funny. They have updated the app. (I haven’t tried connecting to wifi with it on the new version) - current iOS version I have on my iPhone now is 3.1.2 - when everyone was complaining about how broken the app was of late, it was version 3.0.

So, there’s some knowledge gaps in Support then.

Mine is 3.1.2 but it still has the appearance of something designed by a 4 year old on an Echo sketch

Auto-carrot to the “rescue” again, I take it. It’s “Etch-a-sketch” :slight_smile:

Hey, watch that!
I seem to remember they always worked perfectly if somewhat crudely.