Newb Awaiting Arrival of Anova

New unit should arrive UPS late tomorrow. Anxious!

What might be a good meat to do on my first sous vide that would be ready in 24 hours for Friday night dinner?

Thanks for any tips forthcoming…

Jeff

Steaaaaakkkkk. 

Steak.
My first cook was a NY strip from a local butcher.
Generously seasoned with salt and pepper, tossed it into the ziploc freezer bag, squished out the air through water immersion method then I let it cook @ 132F for 1h30min (roughly). Removed it from the bag, patted it down thoroughly so it was dry, then I seared it on a red-hot cast iron skillet w/ a bit of oil for about 10 seconds each side. I ate it and felt like a king.

Oh and there was a side of potatoes and mushrooms, of course :slight_smile:

See my comment about our Memorial Weekend.

If you have 24 hours before eating, get a chuck roast and have the butcher cut it into 2" thick “steaks”. Twenty-four hours at 135F, then sear as Bill describes and serve. Otherwise, I’d do the strip like Bill says – thicker the better. 

Pork Tenderloin is also a great first choice. Easy and so much better than any other method. I do mine at 136°F for 2 hours. Salt, pepper and a pat of butter in the bag. Sear in a hot pan and serve.

If there’s one piece of advice I can offer anyone starting out with sous vide, it’s to consider investing in a vacuum sealer. You can get by without one but they make life so much easier.