Noise of the Pro vs. the Cooker

I upgraded to the APC (not 3.0 so I am assuming 2.0?) and the whine of the motor is really annoying compared to my original blue and white Anova circulator. Thinking about returning the Cooker and upgrading again to the Pro or 3.0 model. How does the Pro or 3.0 sound? Same whiny motor? Or is it whisper quiet?

1 Like

No idea myself, however sound frequencies & vibration may play a part, always worth isolating as much as possible, is the unit sitting on a hard surface or on an insulation & sound deadening pad? …that in itself may make a difference.

I enjoy the quiet gurgle of my older anova unit, there is a bit about motor whine on these boards, but no idea of how bad contextually, (under what conditions etc) so may be best to ask CS to find out the difference in decibels & hertz between each model specifically.

The unit is mounted to a Cambro water bath like normal. The sound is produced by the motor vibrating the air. So no amount of base sound isolation under the bath tank is going to make a difference. My original unit was much quieter.

Anything is possible because everything has a resonant frequency therefore there are ways of bringing it up or quietening it down, surfaces play a part in this, hard contact surfaces play a part not matter how small.

Even if it is not the main problem, (which you haven’t given an idea of sound level by comparison) it can be a factor contributing to the overall result, & worth playing around with, if you don’t get the answers needed from anova.

I’m more interested in the reason it is apparently so different, cent shaving in production across a production run? …not many companies would want to make it louder than it was already.

However, its test rig may not have been in a cambrio tub.

Yu will need to email them with a very clear cut set of questions to get it scrutinised properly, I don’t think Anova CS have any close relationship with the product designers which is with whom I would be getting info from.

Dude, the Cooker I just purchased sounds exactly like the video posted on the official Anova YouTube channel. The noise has little to do with the contact surfaces.

The decibel level of the sound is not the issue. The issue is the annoying nature of the whine. This is a bad experience for the user and family.

What I am asking, is have users of the other latest models also noticed this sound. If all the models are the same now, then there is no sense in me trying to replace the Cooker with the Pro.

I know how to contact customer support. That is not what I am asking for help about.

1 Like

My ANOVA PC is virtually silent. When I do occasionally notice a noise then I clean the impeller.

Remove the bottom ‘button’ with a careful twist, noting its orientation as the ears are assymetrical. See that there isn’t trash accumulated on the impeller or remove the trash gently, and replace the button.

Update: As i do now own the pro…

Using the same pot as ever (over 3 anova models) the pitch / tonality changes noticeably u nder points of contact from the bottom touching the base of the pot, ALSO, whether or not a hard / soft lid is fitted (silicone being my pref)
ALSO, if there is eventhe vaguest touch point contact of the outside area ofthe clamp, resonance is transferred often unwittingly.

Noise / resonance is subjective much like music preferences so irritation to some is a walk in the park to others, I used to utilise white noise to move viisitors to my audio workshop on from tours of the firm for instance, pitch, tone frequency, waveforms,.

Whilst boxing in my pro with foil faced pir insulation I played with the slightest contact resonance amplification which I will dampen when finally positioned & likely eliminate driving sound back to a less harsh note muffled by the silicone lid cover & a top layer of sheet foam which may or may not be in direct contact with the lid in case it acts as an amplifier.

The sound it makes in my s/steel pot is background & more associated with the movement of water through the pot, this note also changes depending on the degree of fill, however most people will not realise these elements & likely simply focus on bitching.

Speaker set up in a demo room is not the same as at home, surfaces hard, soft, room size etc, it is the same with a pot of water with a motor, open space, cupboards abpve etc etc…
(but np-one is going to pull a kitchen apart to resolve it, sound transferrence can be similar in some instances from a wall hanging tv on a cheap extending arm / flat to wall, materials in contact, voids hollow or full & frequency transfer all the way through to the anchoring point (hopefully a solid brick wall)

Tweaks are easy to perform for the perception of noise with a pot & an sv wand by comparison.

From my end, the stronger more durable motor choice / gearing & its stated movement volume (litres per minute) will obviously make some difference between models, how you deal with it is another matter, just like buying footwear for differing conditions & use, the wrong set up is going to be abrasive & uncomfortable, or that proverbial walk in the park.

I have a pro and to me it’s fairly quiet. I don’t have one of the other models but, someone on you tube did a comparison. From what I saw the 3.0 was more whiny and the nano was even worse.