I received our oven today and ran through the initial setup. I have a few observations that stood out as minor annoyances:
- The light flickers when the oven is heating. This is clearly an electronics problem with the oven since it’s an incandescent bulb.
- The timer as used on the device doesn’t seem to turn off the device at the end of time. That is counter to how we have all been trained with some devices like Microwaves and our Breville ovens. Maybe this works differently with the app. I don’t know yet. Haven’t gotten there.
- Smells awful. I’m sure this will go away, but its seriously like a Styrofoam factory smell.
- There was water in the unit when I took it out of the box. I assume this is from testing, but its weird.
- There is no obvious ON indicator other than maybe the inside light. The OFF for the steam setting is confusing since looking across the room you see OFF, but nothing on the handle to give you a huge indication the oven is on. If the bulb burns out I’m not sure what is telling you its on.
- There is a temp target indicator and what the current temp is when the oven is ON, but when the oven is not heating there is nothing telling you the internal temp.
- The manual is too vague on what types of cleaning supplies you can use.
- The manual isn’t upfront about recommending distilled water for the tank or what specific descaler product to use. All of my other steam based products are overly specific on the products to use to ensure there is no damage…like my superautomatic espresso machine. I’ll probably just use our RO water and descale monthly. I don’t feel like buying jugs of distilled water.
- I think it looks nice and I feel its well built. If they offer a different housing in the future I’d upgrade. Not super in love with basic black paint. I like the new Breville colors and of course stainless and black stainless etc. The basic black is fine, but now I know I’d pay more for a finer look for something that is anchoring my counter.
I know this seems like a bunch of negative stuff, but I’m still pleased with it. I’m an early adopter type and hope the feedback translates into change.