Oven restarting thread, updates&fixes

Imagine…
If you are on vacation and the oven isn’t unplugged and it happens all night long… Great reminder to unplug it if you are not using to avoid auto firmware update.

That’s great Tony1. But Anova’s responses even here … totally absent. I like my APO but. Hello, APO Comms … you gotta respond/update.

All set…plugged it back in after 10am EST, and did the update through the app…:+1:t3:. Thanks Bill.

3 Likes

See thread here for additional info: Oven restarting thread, updates&fixes

Ummm…

This is that thread …

:wink:

Fixed :slight_smile:

Appreciate the kind effort Alex - While I’m not part of the firmware team, I will definitely make sure they read this feedback.

Bill

1 Like

I’d like to see a full root cause and post mortem analysis of this borked firmware update.

It happened to mine after I had gone to bed. Husband said my oven was singing. He didn’t do anything to it other than open the door to check that it was not heating.

Next morning when I got up it was quiet and the handle was normal (dark except left and right hand buttons). My app was suggesting a firmware update so I did, it went to 1.1.23. No weird heating or steaming occurred, the oven was dry. Looks and acts normal now.

I waited until 7am local time as originally stated in this thread. Plugged the oven back in. And it’s working now.

I see now the 7am option has been deleted from this thread.

Should I just continue using the oven now that it’s working? Or is there a reason to downgrade the firmware or so a full restart?

If your app is showing you an option to update the firmware (or downgrade in this case), I would recommend you do it.

Separately, I’m working on a wider update for later today once all the pieces are in place, but for the interim a full reset fixes the reset issue (as did waiting til 7am, but was causing more confusion than helping).

Thanks Bill. Exactly what I did last night (Vancouver time). Without the full reset, the OTA upload would not complete since the oven would reboot mid process. Only after the full reset did the oven become stable enough to allow a firmware update (after re pairing my phone).

Wait, so Anova’s workaround is to rollback to the previous firmware update (1.1.23)? If so, even more reason to allow users to manually opt into auto updates. I don’t own any other device that can’t control that behaviour btw.

1.1.31 should be commented on your firmware release page as broken. Or commented in 1.1.31+.

Thanks.

As my owners manual does not indicate which is the “play” button, would somone be kind enough to inform this old fart what to do

Hi Hodag
its the start button on the far righthand side of the door handle the right hand facing triangle with the line in front of it

I did a factory reset which set the firmware at 0.4.10. Now the oven won’t update to the latest FW. Gets to 3% then stops and goes back to a normal display. What a mess Anova made by failing to do very basic quality assurance of their firmware.

Having same issue as poster above me. Oven was in a reboot loop, we unplugged it and plugged it back in. Tried to update the firmware, would get to about 15% and then just stops. So did the factory reset, now we are on version 1.0.1 and it won’t update. Gets to about 30% and the oven just goes back to the default display on the front and app still shows it not updated.

Hello! The start/stop button on the right of the handle with the PLAY arrow.

So sorry you’re having trouble. Please reach out to support@anovaculinary.com and we can assist. We have not seen widespread issues with this so confident we can solve it for ya.

Hi All
Just had a request from Anovaculinary for feedback to rate the support I recieved for this issue
this is what I sent back to them

Hi there, with regards to rating the support I received. Although I am satisfied that the issue is resolved, I am however, still concerned that this upgrade happened without my involvement or input and that this could happen again with another remote automatic software update. What software can you include to detect re-boot failures in the future? Will you improve your beta testing of future software updates? Will you link previous stable software versions that can be reverted to by the customer if the upgrade is buggy?
I Love my APO but some assurances and explanations would be nice to relieve our concerns.

Im sure there are many more in the community with the same concerns

1 Like