precision oven leaks water

My tank was cracked upon arrival. How long would this take to fix?

Yeah, I always save the shipping boxes and materials for a couple of days to make sure everything works first.

I was able to troubleshoot and repair my leaking oven in less than an hour.

The hose leading from the tank to the steam system had become partially disconnected during assembly. Once I removed a few screws and separated the water tray base from the oven it was a simple matter to push the hose back on AND twist the plastic tie wrap slightly so that it wouldn’t be separated again during reassembly.

It would help if Anova published instructions on how to disassemble the oven to carry out this simple fix.

2 Likes

Any chance you could provide some details on how exactly you performed this fix? I’m having the same issue as you. Where are the screws to separate the water tray?

I took the back off first, those screws are obvious. Then I removed several screws from the bottom that hold the water tank base down. Pay extra attention here because I had screws left over that I don’t have any idea where the came out of. Then using a screwdriver you kind of pop the base out of where it fits in to the oven.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks for all of these. Makes it obvious how the steam vent is set up. Looks like there is a pressure bypass and a controlled vent.

Odd that there isn’t even a slight flare on that water pipe end where there is a zip tie. Also interesting its a zip tie unlike the other metal hose clamps.

Glad you got it sorted out and it was an easy fix.

Yes, there is no flare at all, but I guess the only pressure is a foot or so of gravity. A bad thing about the tie wrap is that if it’s not turned precisely correctly then it will be pushed off the connection when the tank bottom pieces are installed. I think for all the good it does, a better design would have just been a longer hose with greater overlap.

It sounds like perhaps they’re not getting assembled properly at the factory.
Looking at the photos posted, it seems to me there are too many plastic parts where it should be mostly metal. A machine like this and at its price should last for at least twenty years, but plastics break down and become brittle.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your troubleshooting expertise, Randy.

Anova had to economize somewhere as comparable counter top steam-assisted ovens sell for about $4k without the SV benefit.

Customer service, for me is impossible to reach. I tried chat on the website, I posted on their FP page, Private messaged them on FP and Insta. Did you ever hear back from them? We have the same 2 major issues most people are posting about 1) leaking of water, even when we have not used the oven for days and 2) the probe does not work. We have tried the Anova recipes for chicken, pork and fish and the probe never comes to temp. So we have over cooked (food was not edible) the meats. For the chicken, we cooked for over 4 hours and the probe never came to temp!

Thank you for posting. We have the same leaking issues. Our new oven leaked when we have not used it for days. It was pouring out water. I can’t reach customer service- the customer service seems non existent. I will ask my husband to look at these pics to try to fix ours.
Thanks again for the post. Crossing my fingers.

My husband took a level to the movable cabinet where we have the oven. Turns out it was not level. He leveled the base cabinet and we have far less water leaking. Good luck to all in fixing this issue.

Customer service was fine while they were troubleshooting the leak, I found them quite responsive. My oven was supposed to be replaced, and the replacement was “being prepared” 10 days ago. May be they closed for the holidays…

I guess I had the same problem - the water was slowly leaking without even turning the oven on. I wish I tried to remove the tank base a little harder, it was not very obvious how to do it and I did not want to break anything and risk loosing the warranty/money back, so I stopped. I might have had a working oven all these days instead of just waiting for replacement.

I don’t have any issues with the plastic used in this area of the oven. There is virtually no wear and tear that could occur. And except for the one poor connection the rest should last a good long time. I use my Anova oven everyday and since repairing that connection haven’t had any other issues.

Anova would do everyone a big favor if they posted step by step instructions on how to make this repair. I wish that I had thought of that while I was fixing mine. But popping the water tray base out was almost a surprise as I struggled to figure out what was holding it in.

2 Likes

I’m going to comment on two of the items in this thread - the “leaking” and the “probe not working”. On the first, after more than two months loving the oven and being grateful that it seemed to work perfectly, I’m now experiencing some strange “water leaking” issues. But it’s not leaking outside the unit, it is a case of water seeping, and sometimes rushing, into the bottom of the oven where it pools in the bottom heating element space in a puddle up to 6 or 7 inches in diameter. It is entering the oven by coming through the small crack where the back of the oven joins the floor. It is not overflowing from the wet bulb sensor - it’s coming from behind the back of the oven wall. It has occurred with various steam settings, 20%, 50% or 100%. It doesn’t always happen when steam is on, just sometimes. The water just sits in the bottom and bubbles away. And other times when I have steam set for, say 50%, there doesn’t appear to any moisture at all, so I can’t tell if steam is even working. I’ve been in contact with support, sent them photos and videos of the water coming in, and we’re still trying to figure out what’s wrong. Given the excellent details from rpmclean in this thread, and the expertise that jump always contributes, I’m wondering if anyone can explain how the steam is supposed to enter the oven cavity to provide the various levels of humidity we are looking for? I’ve asked Support the same question because it’s hard to tell if my APO is delivering steam correctly when I don’t know how it is supposed to get it into the oven. So far the support person has only said they’ve never before seen water coming into the oven the way it’s coming into mine, but I still don’t know how (or from where) the steam is supposed to originate. Does anyone else have large amounts of water pooling in the bottom and boiling there? Is that where the steam is meant to come from? There doesn’t seem to be much technical detail available - and sadly, I probably wouldn’t comprehend it all anyway. I am getting worried that I may have to send this oven back and try again, which would be terribly disappointing as I use it every day and have to come to depend on it! When it’s working, it’s fantastic! Now, as for the probe, for what it’s worth, my experience with the chicken recipe was also that the probe just would not reach the desired temp, even after longer than it should have taken. And I had the same experience with some other meat items using the probe. So I’ve just been setting the probe to about 5 degrees F higher than I wanted and then watch and take it out when the desired temp is reached. Kind of like the “express sous vide method.” That seems to work fine. On the other hand, when I use the probe for bread, it hits my setting of 210F at the time I would expect with no problem. This is a very quirky machine! Thank you to all who contribute to this forum - it’s very helpful!

1 Like

Thanks SMJ for providing your experience. But, to be clear, this forum is just a place for oven users to exchange information - it’s not an “official” Anova communication site. So I can only suggest that you contact Anova Support directly to discuss your specific issue with your oven. I am also doing that, and Support has said they may have to replace my unit, but I’m still going through some testing action before that is confirmed. That’s partly why I’m trying to see what others are experiencing! With my oven, I thought at first that water was overflowing from the bulb, and perhaps initially it was, but I’ve now been able to observe and photograph water definitely seeping in from the bottom of the oven where the back joins the floor and, most recently, water (briefly) spurting into the oven through the row of holes in the back on the right. That really doesn’t seem “normal”. I’ll still be interested to hear what others are experiencing. I’m hoping now that the holiday period is ending that Support and Anova’s quality control processes will improve. I’ve had fairly good response from Support - it’s just not conclusive yet. And if I do have to return the oven, I also have no idea what kind of timeline I’d be looking at for a replacement or how confident I should be that a new one will be problem free.

Just received my replacement. It took support only a few days to send it (I guess ymmv) after I dropped off my original oven. However, FedEx was not doing a good job, they delayed the delivery for almost 1 week, the cardboard box was slightly damaged in a few places, and they left the box on its side despite the clearly visible “fragile” and “this side up” markings. May be Anova can work out a deal with Amazon for delivery?.. :slight_smile: jk.
The oven has a couple of minor dents, not sure if fedex caused them.
BUT the oven works, no leaks! I’ll take it!

So helpful! Checked the connections (except for those under the tank) and so far, all seems ok. Am hoping i just didn’t push the tank forward enough, causing the leak. If there’s still a leak after this cook, then will go to this next step and check the connections underneath the tank. Fingers crossed!