Prime Rib Sous Vide

Hello all, first post here for me. A question for you seasoned veterans of cooking…
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to cook a 12 pound Prime Rib with the Sous Vide Cooker.
If it was possible, I would think 24 hours @ 130 and then finished in the oven at 500 for additional 20 once herb rubbed.
Any help/advice/comments would be appreciated…Cooking for Christmas dinner and wanted to try something a little different with the meat this year.
Thanks again!
Merry Christmas!!

Bill

12lb is like a 5-bone, right?

If it’s not dry aged, I’d step the temp up in stages. Start at 103F for 3 hours or so, then 120F for another 3 hours (give or take) then go to 130F for the rest of the cook. This gives the enzymes a chance to go to go to town before the actual cooking begins. I don’t know if it really needs 24 hours, as it’s kind of a tender cut to begin with. I’d go a bit less personally. Maybe 3 + 3 + 12.

Maybe 12-15 hours total if it’s already dry aged.

The oven finish sounds fine. Make sure to pat the meat dry before applyting the rub and searing/crusting. Or a screaming hot grill, or even a blowtorch and a searzall, although the searzall on that large a piece of meat is kind of a commitment.

Use bone tip guards or you might risk a bag puncture during the cook.

Because of the size, it would probably be a good idea to pick up a cooler to cook in, the insulation will help with keeping temps even. Down at the end of this thread there are some photos of how to set it up

1 Like

Thanks ACS! I have a cooler and lid cut to fit.
It won’t be dry aged and I like the idea of the increase in cook temps. I plan on adding a few pads of butter, Thyme and Rosemary to the bag before sealing. That should add some nice flavoring! The herb crust will also consist of the two spices mashed with oil and rubbed.
Thanks again for advice, appreciate it!!!
I wasn’t sure that a 12 pound was too much for the Sous Vide to handle as a whole. I now know better! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rosemary tends to be very pungent in the SV bags, don’t go bonkers with it. I typically use about a 2" to 3" piece on a 3# roast and it’s plenty noticeable.

Chopped garlic and onion might be something to consider for the bags also.

I have friends who have done 10# pork shoulders, I would think the 12# should be fine. I’ve done 22-25# of tri-tip at once, but it was 8 individually bagged roasts, each 3# give or take.

How did it come out? And what process did you end up going with - we’d love to hear! :blush: