Shank ham

Want to cook shank part of ham.

ok…and?

1 Like

Bone in, around 10lb. What temp&how long?
Thanks

NB, as you know weight matters little for heat penetration in SV cooking.
It’s the thickness that’s important. Right?

To start, just what do you have? Are you using a cooked ham and want to only reheat it or a cured and smoked uncooked ham, or the shank cut of a fresh ham? They are all called hams. You might even have one of those spiral-cut culinary travesties. There’s a substantial difference between those meats and how to manage them and wouldn’t you know my crystal ball is in the shop for repairs. As you expand you cooking skills you will discover how important details are for success.

If you have a fully cooked ham why not skip the SV and just slather it with some kind of sticky glaze and warm it through in your oven before service?

For SV, have you got a bag that’s big enough? Don’t forget to pad the bone with a few thicknesses of plastic wrap because as the meat cooks it will shrink a bit and the sharp edge of the ham bone may pierce the bag.

Most commercially cured hams are “pumped” full of flavoured brine so you are going to have a lot of liquid in the SV bag at the end if that’s what you have, water’s very cheap. If you are fortunate enough to have a country style dry-cured ham that’s an entirely different product.

The tapered shape of the ham adds to your challenge too. So without many important details available i suggest cooking a smoked, cured, and uncooked ham about 135F for 6 to 8 hours. That temperature will keep the meat very moist and tender. If you go much higher there will be more moisture loss as the muscles tense and express their fluids. However, if you prefer a less flabby outcome try 145F to draw out more liquids for the same cooking time.

Please share your results.

1 Like

Just on that different things called the same name note. While Americans put anything to do with a hind leg of pork under the title of ham, the English have different labels for each stage. I really wish they’d get adopted elsewhere, because it’d make these types of post a lot clearer.

A leg of pork is just that. The hind leg of raw pork, unprocessed.

A leg of ham has been cured and cooked, either smoked or not.

A leg of gammon has been cured but is uncooked though it may be smoked. Unsmoked it’s usually sold as pickled pork in Australia. Can’t say I’ve ever managed to find cured and smoked but uncooked anywhere.

We appologise for the interruption and return you to our regular programme.

1 Like

Amber, thanks for your reply I think. I have not a clue what you just said. I found the answer to my post about a Shank Part of ham. Put the cooked ham still in wrapping in 140 degree bath for 3 hours and you will have a totally warmed ham all the way to the bone. Surprised other replies didn’t know what the shank part of the ham was.
Thanks, and have a good day.

Ember - amen to that! If it’s any consolation, you should try living here. Ignoring the different alphabet aspect, not only is pretty much every cut - when it exists at all here - called something different but what we might think of as even half-way decent butchers are practically non-existent, so you have to get used to picking fragments of band-sawn bone out of most cuts and bone/gristle/skin/unidentifiables out of minced meat.

The (very) few good butchers charge prices that are clearly designed to promote veganism, especially in a country where the average monthly wage is US$500 and an average pension is US$150.

Alas, true butchers are becoming harder to find here (Australia) too, as most people shop for their meat in the supermarkets and although they supposedly have butcher’s on staff most of the meat comes pre-hacked and pre-packed.

Hi Ember Could nt agree with you more. true butchers are becoming as scarce as rocking horse dung here in Aus… We are mostly to blame as we bypass the local butcher and head to the Supermarkets to by their pre packed meats which you might see them restocking the shelves out of cartons…

I try to support my local butcher as much as possible. And try hard to convince others to do so. But people see price not service. :frowning: