Sous Vide Egg Bites @ Starbucks Recipe?

I’m making my first batch of egg bites right now. I am going to refrigerate them and have them as a quick breakfast each morning this week. What is the quickest way to reheat them without destroying the texture? I have a convection/microwave combination that I could try. Please share your experiences. thanks -will

Here’s my first try! Digging in now…creamy texture, great flavor!

2 Likes

Hi - my first posting.

I had a couple of reservations about @ChefNicole’s recipe - firstly I had a bad experience with a broken glass in water a while ago, so I did not want to risk shattered glass in my sous vide vessel, and secondly I wanted to cook it at 85ºC, so that I could do mushrooms at the same time for breakfast.

(Sidebar - halved mushrooms and garlic cloves halved lengthways and herbs and spices, 85ºC, cooking time 1 hour. Just before time is up, whip up a little sauce - butter, flour, milk - add the liquid from the mushroom bag and some vegetable gravy granules to rethicken it if necessary - spoon over mushrooms and garlic pieces on toast.)

I found the right container in my local supermarket (Tesco).

Four little tubs like this, cube shaped with a slight chamfer so the finished product would slide out easily, volume 125ml (four and a bit fluid ounces.)

After a few experiments it turns out that a 50% egg, 50% dairy mix cooks perfectly at 85ºC for 40 minutes. (Dairy was about 50/50 strong cheddar and half-fat milk.) Crack one medium egg per portion into a measuring jug and add grated cheese and milk to bring each portion size up to 125ml along with whatever herbs and spices float your boat. I used pepper, Dunn’s River All Purpose Seasoning and oregano. Blend with a stick blender and pour into 125ml foodsaver pots after oiling the insides. Put pots in a weighted plastic bag (I used weights from our kitchen scales) and immerse in the sous vide at 85ºC for 40 minutes.

The result was a cube that slumped onto the toast like a middle-aged man and wobbled like jelly, but did not split. It was ultra-light and smooth and just melted in the mouth with a good, strong cheese taste. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

All I have to do now is choose a name. I can’t decide between Eggs Cubed and Cheesy Custard Lumps!

1 Like

About your broken glass:

Did you use canning jars? If so, it was likely you tightened the lids too much. This is mentioned on the Chefsteps site in their recipes that the lids should be barely tight - finger-tight they call it. It will let excess air escape that expands with heat and won’t let water in. I have only had one case where water got in and that was because the jar tumbled upside down, and I have never had a jar break on me.

Make sure when you submerge it, some small bubbles come out. This will indicate you tightened the lids properly.

Also, your plastic tub - I would check its properties. The only food safe plastic is polypropylene, which is number 5 on the recycling label. If your lid is flexible like that one, it has to be silicone; if it is plastic, it is not polypropylene (PP is not flexible or soft). Soft plastics will leech potentially dangerous chemicals in your food over time.

The broken glass incident was not sous vide related. A drinking glass broke in my washing up bowl and I slid my hand down the jagged edge. The feeling of glass scraping against bone was enough to make me reluctant to put glass in water ever again.

I checked the plastic tubs, they are food, dishwasher and microwave safe and have the polypropylene recycling logo.

Thank you for your concern.

Great success! So good. I doubled the recipe. Ate 2 of them right away. Any suggestions on how to store them? Right in to the fridge in the jars?

4 Likes

Couple of photos of Eggs Cubed/Cheesy Custard Lumps. (see above)

This time with Stilton, Dijon mustard, sriracha sauce and pepper.

4 Likes

I vote for “eggs cubed” but only if you serve them in 3’s.

Logic! I like it. :slight_smile:

Not sure if I could manage three though. For their lightness they are surprisingly filling.

I made my first batch in mason jars, then put in an ice bath to put in the fridge to have for the week. However, each morning they are hard to get out of the jars as they stick to the sides… Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening? I want to store in the mason jars until ready to eat. Thank you!

My Egg bites! Cooked this morning.

I weighed the jars with lids and then weighed the jars I had cooked egg bites in. Average amount of egg bites in 5 jars ranged from 3.08oz to 3.32oz . I ate the sixth before I thought to weigh it. I wouldn’t say serving because everyone’s servings are different. I tightened the lids to where they just stopped turning. Air bubbles began to rise immediately. We’ll see if any water got in. Speaking of water, the jars will hold 4 oz and still have a little room at the top. The one I ate had no water in it. Almost endless variety here. Yes, that is sausage! The brand is a local one called Nettles. The sausage was even cooked sous vide a couple of days ago. Very easy. Now to test it on the wife.

I read that Starbucks uses a releasing agent since the cheesy home made egg bites really stick to the sides.

Edited to add: no water noted in the jars and the wife liked hers.

Edited to add again: Anyone come up with a “releasing agent”, to help get the egg bites out of the jars? I will use a little butter and maybe a little less cheese the next batch.

3 Likes

My jars just arrived. Yay!

2 Likes

My first batch has been demolished. Just basic home made smoky bacon and mature cheddar with a splash of cream and milk.

Trying something a little more adventurous this time. I was planning steak for dinner and nothing goes better with steak than onion jam (onions caramelized into moosh and finished with a little balsamic for the last few minutes). Seeing as I was making some anyway a little extra was no big deal. So today’s egg bite experiment has a layer of gooey onion jam in the bottom. To the eggs i added some light sour cream, nutmeg and a little bit of local ewes milk cheese. They’re cooking now.

4 Likes

Run a knife around the inside of the jar before you invert it.

1 Like

I made these last week, added a few of my variations. They not only came out great, looked great, but also tasted great! Thanks for sharing!!!

5 Likes

Ok, went out and bought the precision cooker just to make these! Used all of your excellent ideas, put two eggs in a ziplock baggie with some cheese, red onion, and sausage crumbles, into the pot at 170 f for 1 hour. Cooked them on counter and put in fridge. What a great flavor and so easy taking out of the bag! They just slip out. Heat em’ in the nuker for 1 minute +- and voila! Delicious and cheap! Tried them with chopped ham, added a little cottage cheese as per the ingredients from Starbucks and cheddar and just as good as the spinach and feta ones we made next!

4 Likes

Made some egg bites for my son and he LOVED them. My breakfast game is forever improved.

2 Likes

Baby swiss? What is it?

Here’s my take.

3 Likes

Cooler for the water bath; great idea!