Sous Vide Egg Bites @ Starbucks Recipe?

A question I have seen in forums about this technique… what jars do you use, and where do you get them? I have now done several batches, with great success (for me!), and am very happy with the ones that I ordered online from Walmart. I hope that I am not violating rules of the site by posting this link: Robot or human?

They are Ball “jelly jars”. Probably available at other retailers too…

No need to get the more expensive and harder to find ones with spring clips.

When I use these, and with “finger tightening”, the jars emit a few bubbles when submersed. However, I have not yet had an instance where water intrudes. Or, a jar cracking… (After all, they are canning jars!).

Chef Nicole, I just saw your article about how to do this with our home sv equipment. Inspiring, and thanks for sharing! I have done several batches and they are a big hit.

Roland

2 Likes

Taggin’ @ChefNicole so she can see your comment @RPerkins83 :wink:

Hi Roland!

It’s great to hear from you! I am so glad that you are having success with the egg bites - and I am about to post some great new recipe combinations in honor of Easter & Spring in general!

You hit the nail on the head with your jar choice; we use Ball or Mason jars with the two-part lids in our experiments, but have also found that simpler metal lids work, as do the spring clip ones. Ball and/or Mason are very easy to find in the United States, and the latter two more popular in other countries. The only option tested that I have found does NOT work are jars with plastic lids. Even with “fingertip tightening”, the heat of the bath causes them to expand and POOF! All of the ingredients will be circulating in the bath, as well. :wink:

Send us pictures of your successes! I know what a huge fan of sous vide cooking you are, and I know our community would love to see what you have come up with.

In the meantime, sending you & Adeline big hugs. :heart:

1 Like

I use the small mason jars as well and they come out nice. I thought that the cream cheese was a little much though so when I do them again I am going to try and either cut the cream cheese out and add more egg and more regular cheese or reduce the cream cheese.

Rod

1 Like

I keep them in the fridge in the jars.

1 Like

Yummie!Delicious dish.Keep sharing these great dishes.yahoo support

Here is an action show of my sv’d eggs:

They are great little breakfast meals.

m-

1 Like

Love it! Sous vide egg bites are so convenient!

Hi, all:

I found Nicole’s recipe for the egg bites with bacon & gruyere and had pretty good results. It was my first time making them, so a couple of lessons learned about making the custard a bit better (the cheese settled to the bottom of the blender before I poured out, etc.).

Good consistency, good flavor. Will make them again. Only thing is how to make them a tad more moist. These came out almost dry. Maybe a lower temp?

1 Like

New to this type of cooking. Can put a sealed mason jar into the water? Thank you

Looks great, how long and what temp? Thanks

1 Like

These bites were cooked @ 172 degrees.

1 Like

As long as you don’t tighten the lid more than finger tight to let the hot air escape.

1 Like

3 eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. keep them in the instant pot.
and i purchased the molds here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07969TJLS

Oh my god! It see very good and delicious.

most beautifull.

I just used Egglettes for this. Worked like a champ. Popped right out.

The only problem is that they only came and in a set of four, and I need more to cook these ahead.

I made a dozen in 4 oz jars using a dozen eggs, 4 oz cream cheese, 2oz swiss cheese and a cup of Parmesan, a handful of spinach and crisped a pound of bacon in the over for 20 mins at 350. Turned out amazing, so velvety and delicious! Everyone at brunch agreed they were the best eggs we ever had.

1 Like

Sounds good