Southern Fried Chicken ( KFC Chicken )

This is a discussion, and a few tips. Tweak the recipe to suit your tastes.

KFC Chicken, 11 secret herbs & spices, ‘Comfort Food and/or Fast Food’. Developed in the 1940’s and first sold at a ‘Gas Station Diner’ or was it ‘Roadside Restaurant’ in Corbin, Kentucky. I am guessing Colonel Sanders did NOT have access to Michelin Star chefs and fine dining ingredients. There has been many attempts, over the years, to duplicate the recipe. Here is what most of these recipes include or have in common : Salt, Garlic Salt, Celery Salt, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Thyme, Basil, Oregano, Paprika, Dried Mustard, Ground Ginger, Onion Salt, Chilli Powder and/or Cayenne Pepper. All ingredients were readily available, in the 1940’s. ( You can create your own ratios, or check out mine at the bottom. )

Lets face it. It is the Pressure Fryer that is the key to the great taste. Tender, soft, juicy chicken and crispy coating outside, which is not too oily. … But now we have SOUS VIDE, and a chance to compete at home.

Try marinating the chicken in ‘Buttermilk’ over night. You can make your own Buttermilk, with 1 cup full cream milk and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar ( or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice ). It is the Vinegar that breaks down the texture of the meat, and makes it softer.

The usual : Flour, Egg and very fine Bread Crumb coating or batter, is my favourite.

Some recipes do this coating step, 2 or 3 times, to get a thicker batter around the chicken. The idea is to keep the chicken moist and tender inside.

Some recipes suggest putting the coated meat back in the fridge for a few hours. It lets the coating bind to the chicken.

Some recipes use a egg & milk wash, then just a coating of the herbs & spices flour.

I am going to try taking the wet cooked Sous Vide chicken. Dry a little, then give a coating of the herbs & spices flour.

I like Chicken Thighs, and preferably bone in, with skin. I find the meat has a stronger flavour. The bone also adds flavour and acts as a handle for ‘finger licking good eating’. ( I find the meat on ‘Drum Sticks’ too tough, compared to other parts of the chicken, and it is all bone / knuckle or joint each end. )

Sous Vide Method.

• Sprinkle a bit of salt on the chicken, and then seal in plastic bag.
  • Cook on 74oC or 165oF for 2 to 4 hours. The longer the time, the softer the meat.
  • Dry chicken with a paper towel.
  • Flour ( with your choice of herbs & spice ), egg and bread crumbs. ( One coating )
  • No waiting, cook immediately, while the chicken is still hot out of the Sous Vide bath.
  • Deep fry or Pan fry with a good helping of oil, ( 5 mm or quarter inch deep ). Cook for a minute or two, until your choice of Golden Brown.
  • I like high burning point oils, when putting the crust on my Sous Vide meats. e.g. ‘Rice Bran’, or sometimes ‘Olive Oil - Extra Virgin and Light’. ( Both cheap and value for money. )

I like these ratios : ( tbsp = tablespoon )
2 cups Plain Flour. 2/3 tbsp Salt. 2 tbsp Garlic Salt. 1 tbsp Celery Salt. 3 tbsp White Pepper. 1 tbsp Black Pepper. 1/2 tbsp Thyme. 1/2 tbsp Basil. 1/3 tbsp Oregano. 4 tbsp Paprika. 1 tbsp Dried Mustard. 1 tbsp Ground Ginger.

2 Likes

I will be trying this. I like wings and breast so we will see how it turns out.

I wonder how this would work in an Air Fryer. I have used mine for fried potatoes, fried pork chops, fried chicken wings, and fried fish, so far. The fish didn’t brown as much as I’d like but the others were outstanding!

G’Day Dru.
I have never tried or used an ‘Air Fryer’. Might make it the next toy ( oops, I mean tool ), that I add to the kitchen.
BTW. I have re-written and updated this article. New article has the extra word ‘style’ in the title. I am hoping this thread will be deleted.

One final and important note. ‘Man with the Most Toys Wins’. LOL !