Tell Us What You Think About Our Android Beta Release

THE NEXT WAVE ON SOUS VIDE IS CHOCOLATE TEMPERING !! You could add a simple set up that does it (changing the temperature settings automatically… In this link all it is needed… You will get thousands of new customers as the only option are USD 2,000 machines.

Today, I received an email inviting me to download the Android Beta Anova App. I tried to download the app on my HTC phone. Unfortunately, Google Play didn’t allow me to download. It says that my device isn’t compatible with the version of the app. I appreciate anyone with any information as to how I can do this. BTW, my Android version is 4.0.4. Thanks!

@kicheah168 Can you please tell us the model number of your HTC phone?

Today, I received an email inviting me to download the Android Beta Anova App. I tried to download the app on my HTC phone. Unfortunately, Google Play didn't allow me to download. It says that my device isn't compatible with the version of the app. I appreciate anyone with any information as to how I can do this. BTW, my Android version is 4.0.4. Thanks!

My guess is you probably can’t use your APC with your phone. The APC requires Bluetooth 4.0 and I’d be surprised if a device that only supports android 4.0.4 has BT 4.0. If it makes you feel any better I can’t control my APC with my iPad 2 either since it doesn’t support BT 4.0.

Okay… after a day of actually using it (or while using it better yet) instead of just playing with it yesterday, I’d have to say that the controls ARE in fact on the home page and their position underneath the recipes IS pretty nice…I quite like to have pretty pictures of food taking up most of my screen so I withdraw my suggestion to separate the two… It’s nice as is and it functions absolutely fine. One thing though… It would be nice if the bottom controls would show the current setting when in use i.e. bath at x C or F and time left on timer… I know that this shows on the display in the APC but when I’m away from the cooking site it would be really handy to know where my food is at… (will it sound alarm at the end of cooking time??? we’ll see…) Then one more thing on the recipe page… I’m assuming that the recipes will come up in random, changing order once we’re out of beta? Right now it’s the same two… I’d like to be inspired… right now it becomes (already) a bit same old same old…

Today, I received an email inviting me to download the Android Beta Anova App. I tried to download the app on my HTC phone. Unfortunately, Google Play didn't allow me to download. It says that my device isn't compatible with the version of the app. I appreciate anyone with any information as to how I can do this. BTW, my Android version is 4.0.4. Thanks!

@klcheah168 Unfortunately the Precision Cooker only supports Android 4.3 and greater WITH Bluetooth 4.0 LE - Its a hardware limitation within the Bluetooth chip used in the PC. If you post the name of your HTC device, I can double check to see the compatibility for you :slight_smile:

I’d like to reiterate what some have mentioned about the temperature selection screen:

The currently implemented SCROLLING IS AWFUL! I do not want to sit there for a whole minute at start, scrolling from ~40 to get to 150oF or whatever my target temp is. Start it somewhere reasonable, or use keypad input please!

Now, the availability of some sample recipes I do think will be useful, particularly for those just starting off and experimenting.

waylo said:
I'd like to reiterate what some have mentioned about the temperature selection screen:

The currently implemented SCROLLING IS AWFUL! I do not want to sit there for a whole minute at start, scrolling from ~40 to get to 150oF or whatever my target temp is. Start it somewhere reasonable, or use keypad input please!

This. Please allow direct temperature entry via a keypad. That’s the first thing I noticed after pairing.

@heychubs Thank you!! It looks like it isn’t too complicated to get it onto AM but it probably wouldn’t be until sometime next week if we do. I’ll keep you posted either way!

Magus said:
waylo said:
I'd like to reiterate what some have mentioned about the temperature selection screen:

This. Please allow direct temperature entry via a keypad. That’s the first thing I noticed after pairing.

While I will +1 a keypad entry, an alternate if the designers want to stick with scrolling would be to have the app read the cooker’s currently set temperature (which is memorized between cooks) and start the scroll wheel there. I cook a lot of protein and the vast bulk of my cooks occur between 50C-62C so starting the scrolling somewhere in that range would minimize the hassle of scrolling to a new setting most of the time.

jordan said:
@heychubs Thank you!! It looks like it isn't too complicated to get it onto AM but it probably wouldn't be until sometime next week if we do. I'll keep you posted either way!

Thanks Jordan! Looking forward to using it!

Just ran into a bug, interested if everyone else has it:

With Anova up and running, heating, I then pair my bluetooth.

If I then hit the timer button on the app, the Anova app crashes.

So maybe the Anova can’t be heating when the app tries to send commands?  Have not tried troubleshooting more.

@Simon_C said:
kicheah168 Can you please tell us the model number of your HTC phone?

Many thanks! My HTC phone is rather old.  It is HTC Incredible S.  I guess it is time for a new phone. :slight_smile:

@Bill said:

klcheah168 Unfortunately the Precision Cooker only supports Android 4.3 and greater WITH Bluetooth 4.0 LE - Its a hardware limitation within the Bluetooth chip used in the PC. If you post the name of your HTC device, I can double check to see the compatibility for you :slight_smile:

Bill, thank you for your time.  My HTC Incredible S phone is really an old model.  I am not expecting much from it. I should be in the market for a new phone. :slight_smile:

@waylo are you still experiencing this issue?

@heychubs So it’s a possibility, I just need to get more information on the number of users who aren’t on the Google Play store but are on Amazon Marketplace. Will continue to keep you updated!

Some stuff that i miss.

Possibility to change to metric measurment. We don´t use cups and ounces where I live. We use milliliters and grams
Possibility to add my own recepies
Possibility to sort in dirrefent food-types like vegetables, fish, chicken so it would be easyer to find a recepie…
A table for “normal” temperaturs and times for different things. Something like this (https://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sousvideshop.se%2Ftider–temperaturer%2F&edit-text=) and yes it´s a translate from a swedish site so the language isn´t the best.

And sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand.

We came across a lay-out issue this week… The start/pause button is right above the home button which in most (if not all) cases is situated in the middle/bottom… This turned out to be an issue for large fingers inadvertently touching the pause button when hitting ‘home’… I happened to be in ear shot of the APC because again… the app doesn’t give any audible clues… and I truely don’t understand why it doesn’t display time left on the timer either… What’s the point of having remote access when I can’t remotely check how much time there’s left for the cook nor will it let me know when there is an issue that stops the cook… i.e. pause button hit, water level too low or anything that basically stops the cook…

1 Like

@Pippi Good insight, thanks! Will pass this along to our team.

You should be able to see the time left in your cook on the top right of the screen, it will also show on your device. Once the preheating is finished and you’ve OK’d the cook start, it will begin to count down.

@Purre Thank you for your feedback! You make a lot of great points, and we’ve heard many requests for similar features. We’ve noted them and will keep you updated.

Also, thank you so much for sharing that site, it was very helpful and I liked how they listed the weight/size for everything because not all time / temp guides do. We understand the need for this in the app and currently, we do have a list located here: What is Sous Vide? | Everything You Need To Know – Anova Culinary