Tell Us What You Think About Our Android Beta Release

@heychubs - http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/667/do-you-get-your-apps-on-google-play-or-amazon-marketplace#latest

(The bubble won’t show that your choice has been selected but click submit and it will still go through)

@waylo thanks for that heads up. We’ve added it to the tracker :slight_smile:

@jordan Do you know of any particular reason why I can’t install the android beta app on my Google Nexus 10 tablet? It has Bluetooth 4.0 and is Android 5.1. Is Android Lollipop not supported for some reason despite the fact that it is the most current version of Android? I can install the all on my 3 year old Galaxy S3 but can’t get it to work at all so I wanted to try it on my more modern tablet. I also have an iPad 2 but of course that doesn’t support Bluetooth 4.0

The app looks good so far!  I like how the recipes are laid out and they seem to be quite detailed.  

+1 for the suggestion to add a screen with the basics time/temp table for standard food items.
+1 for the idea to be able to add my own foods/temp/time information to that table.  Today I keep a list of my favorite combinations in Evernote, so it would be nice if they were there in the app and easily selectable.

One question, after I’ve marked a recipe as a favorite, how do I get back to a list of those favs?  

While you’re adding all the other awesomeness, can you give me a button on the recipes that just orders all the ingredients and delivers them to me?  :)
1 Like

@elangomatt - While we haven’t built the app for Android tablets, I dont see any reason why it shouldn’t work on yours. Drop us an email to support@anovaculinary.com and we can try to help troubleshoot it for you.

I have two Precision Cookers. Can the app control or toggle between two units? I have also purchased the Anova Immersion Circulator Cooker. It is so much easier to set the temp and time on it. The Precision Cooker isn’t user friendly. From reading all the comments it sounds like the final app could solve these issues. Any idea when it will be finished?  (Thanks for the Great Products)

The home screen is confusing to me, the recipes are great but i think it should be in a section separate to the main screen, also when i go to set the temperature is seems to stop my circulator until i select a temperature, and sometimes will pause indefinitely until i close the app and start manually on the circulator itself, I find myself using the ANOVA Remote app from the android store instead of the official one, as it feels a lot easier to use.

@kdelk - At this time it can only control one connected PC at any given time. We do want to have the app to a point where it can control two devices, however I dont have a timeline on that. How is the PC not user friendly ? 

All that being said - more updates to both the iOS and Android apps are coming. You should see a pile of bug fixes and new features added in the next release :slight_smile:

Great app.  I noticed the search function only searches for words within the recipe titles. It would be great if you could search for the specific authors of the recipes too, so if there is a person whose recipes I really like, I can pull up all of theirs one screen.  For instance, I frequent the website Serious Eats, so It would be awesome if I could search for all the recipes Kenji Lopez has posted without scrolling through ever single recipe.

I have to echo what many others have said.  There needs to be a main stripped down screen that lets you just set the Temp and Time of the cooker.  The recipes are nice to have of course, but I should not have to scroll through them to find one that calls for the temps I want in order to run the cooker.  Also maybe a generic food list to choose temps from as well such as “Beef - Medium Rare” or “Egg - Poached”.  That would be far more useful to me than the recipes.  The other MUCH needed improvement, tablet support.  There is simply no reason to develop an android app that is meant just for phone use.  I have a 7" samsung tablet I use in the kitchen for recipes and for monitoring my iGrill bluetooth thermometer.  I went to add the Anova app and saw there dreaded “not compatible for phones only”.  Back in the days of Honeycomb I could see this being an issue as it was a seperate version of android specifically for Tablet use, but now versions are for all formats.  

1 Like

@jordan Any updates on getting it on the Amazon marketplace? Would love to see it there soon! Also, the Serious Eats app there would be amazing.  Love Kenji’s blog!

I recently used my Anova Precision Cooker to cook a pork shoulder for ~23 hours and decided to give the app a whirl.  Here are a few comments:

1. For the recipe section, a filter would be super helpful to allow users to pare down by course, cuisine, ingredient, etc. 
  2. When paired with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) via Bluetooth, I had several instances where attempts to tweak either time or temp resulted in the cooker stopping.  I then had to restart cooking (reset temp and time).  This could definitely be a problem if one isn’t nearby to hear the cooker stop running.  Luckily I was in the next room and could hear the cooker beep.  Had I not been, this could have been a huge waste of money if the meat had sat for multiple hours.  Which leads me to #3
  3. Are there plans to allow for Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth functionality?  I’m not sure I get the utility of using the Bluetooth as I found it to drop too often if I, my guess, was out of range.  I was in my home the entire time so if I can’t use the Bluetooth functionality here, what’s the point?.  What is the expected range for the Bluetooth pairing?  
  4. I tested the water temp using my Thermapen and found a ~5 degree (Fahrenheit) delta between that and the cooker.  Anyone else noticing temp issues?
  5. All that said, the pork turned out great and I’ve been extremely happy with the product but want to better understand the app functionality.
Hi Everyone, 

This is Christina from the mobile app team at Anova Culinary.

We're performing customer interviews on Monday (6/5) so that we can better understand customer needs, challenges, and how we can improve the Anova mobile app experience.

If you're able to spend a few minutes sharing your experience with us over the phone, please email me at christina@anovaculinary.com your availability as soon as possible.

Thank you!
Christina

I can get anova paired with my samsung g4 and tablet, it won’t pair with my g5 just asks for a password. I can’t get the app to connect. on any of them I think I’ve tried every thing. how do you do it

Recently received my Anova Precision Cooker and So far its working well for me. I think the Android APP is focusing to much on recipies.

While I wouldn’t mind to keep them, I would like to see a dedicated page-window just showing the timer where you could adjust, start and stop
the APC2 from there in full view without seeing anything else.

Best

Roberto

Thanks to the recent deals I have become a proud owner of two Anovas; the APC and the AOne. Both are great devices and greatly simplify my SV from my original use of a crock pot and PID controller. At this point I prefer the straight forward programming of the AOne. While I realize that the Android App is still in development, it will need much better functionality. Now the use of Bluetooth seems more like a solution looking for a problem. There is no problem - the simple programming of the AOne was fine.

But to the App. I would use it on two devices, my Samsung G4 and my Samsung Tab Pro 8.1. The screen on the Tab does not fill with the three features, while the phone does. I would like to use the Tab with the APC as the larger screen would be an asset. The Tab screen only fills half way with the rest being white down to the BT logo. Sounds like just a device tweak in the App.

The focus on the menus and celebrities is fine for your marketing, but I prefer an App that would actually help me in my experimentation. First of all, a basic temperature and time guide would be helpful - but it will need a field that allows the temps and times that I have tried. I do my research online and in books for temps and times and try different settings to see what I like best. Some functionality that will help me keep track of what I have done, and my notes, would be supremely helpful. Also, I need the ability to include recipes that I have found and then modified - or include recipes I have developed. I know that this would mean the App would have to be able to store more on the device, but I think it is a worthwhile additional function.

Again, great products. Best of luck on App development to enhance the APC experience.

@heychubs I posted a voting discussion to get some responses so we can get it set up. I need a few more responses that are all for Marketplace!!

I have the app on my Motorola Turbo.  Bluetooth interface was very easy. I cook basic simple stuff. The recipes are nice, but I probably won’t use them. Agreeing with Pippi, having access to the size/shape/doneness information on the application would certainly help. The control of the PC from the mobile phone is very convenient. I have the Anova One and two Precision Cookers. I am able to loan out a PC so folks can try sous vide cooking. I try to give a demo with chicken breasts and hamburgers. So far so good. Having a vacuum sealer really make a difference. I think many folks won’t try sous vide cooking due to the absence of a sealer and possibly a cooking container. I have used a tall pot and an 18 quart Coleman cooler. I am looking forward to the next generation of sous vide units that are wifi enabled and have really good refrigeration/cooling capabilities (Peltier device?) below 40°F. That would be very nice. Having the capability to hold a food below 40°F and then start “dinner” from work or the golf course would be great. An alert to my phone when the power goes out would be good to have as well.

Great to know theres an app, even for us andriod users (-;&nbsp; <br>What I really would like to have is a calculator to work out what time I should start cooking those 36/48/72 hours recipes so they are done when Im up and about rather then in the wee hours of the night.

I’m using Android on HTC One S smartphone. When I try to download the app from GoogleApp store, I get the info “Your device isn’t compatible with this app version”. Do you have any tips & tricks?