Timer Function on the Anova Precision Cooker

When I first started cooking sous vide I didn’t see why they didn’t provide the ability to shut off the APC when cook time had completed. Then after a lot of reading - and learning the ramifications (Thank you Doctor Baldwin!) - I came to the conclusion they they had made the right decision.

Bottom line is that it would be foolish for Anova to allow the unit to automatically shut off when the cook time has completed, opening themselves up to litigation by people who won’t take responsibility for their own actions. But since options are available for anyone who desires this functionality to implement it themselves (as I described in my previous post) those of us who desire “shutoff” at end of cook time can do so and take on the onus of responsibility for ourselves. :slight_smile:

Lawyers over foodies, that’s all it is. No special vulnerabilities that don’t affect ‘idiots’ (per Mirozen) using crockpots, induction cookers, etc, at low temps, all of which permit decent digital control. Indefensible, self-limiting timidity.

I guess we’ll just have to disagree about this subject, but since every other sous vide cooker on the market has implemented the same behavior I wouldn’t call the decision self-limiting. Keep in mind that this is not a feature that the vast majority of users want, primarily because the ability to leave something running “over long” in the sous vide bath without negative impact is one of the core strengths of sous vide.
If you need any more info about using a home automation outlet to implement the auto shutoff just let me know. When I first bought my APC I considered implementing this, then changed my mind after coming to the conclusion that I didn’t need it.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. That’s why I wished for the OPTION to have the timer shut it off- make it hard to select, use lots of warnings, I don’t care…The ‘danger’ issue with careless users is NOT specific to sous-vide. In fact, many protocols I’ve seen here won’t kill even salmonella, one of the easiest pathogens to neutralize, even if the unit runs forever- they’re on the surface of all solid meat/fish, and are only killed by the sear. You cannot idiot-proof consumer products, no matter how hard you try. What you CAN do is warn, and satisfy customers with features. Whatever is done elsewhere, I guarantee the majority of new users assume the timer will shut it off. Also, while on the subject of inexplicable programming limitations, why on earth does the timer not BEEP ON THE APP??? I know there once were complaints about annoying beeps from the unit (new ones have a single, nice chime), but we all have dozens of apps that we use to beep, chime, notify- get our attention when the phone is in our pocket. THAT could be a big help here, too- a chime on the phone when temp is reached, and again when the timer is done. After all, the whole idea of bt/wifi is freedom to move away from, out of earshot of, the unit. C’mon- it’s a nice processor (and a GREAT heater/circulator, btw), why not a little more user-friendliness?

You are incorrect with your assumption of salmonella only being able to be killed at searing. Also, salmonella is not a surface dwelling bacteria.

I would suggest you read Baldwin as it would seem you have not yet done so.

Baldwin Sous Vide Bible

I created a whole account just to weigh in and say the timer function is terrible and the app is basically useless because if you move out of range everything resets. Do better Anova.

Hello from US/WA, Aug 2021.

TL/DR: Timer is still not stopping the just-bought APC. This bug is years old, and obviously not a priority for the team to address.

Fellow reader from the future,
Since your complaints have zero effect, why not have some fun instead:
Register and leave a comment with country / state where you are having an issue with annova timer!

Hi Pavel. This is not a bug, this is the designed function of the APC. The Precision Cooker should never shut off on their own due to best food safety practices…