Timing, texture and safety--how long is too long?

Hi! I just got an Anova and am looking forward to using it for the first time. I would appreciate your feedback regarding timing.

For example, the instructions for a pork tenderloin cooked medium say to get the water bath to 140 and then keep the tenderloin in the bath for 1 hour. Can it stay in there for 9 hours (while we’re at work) or does it need to come out right at the end of an hour?

I understand that the pork won’t be overcooked, but will it go from tender to mushy? Is it still safe to eat?

Thanks,
Kate

1 Like

It’ll be safe to eat. The texture might be a little too soft/mushy. (I haven’t cooked pork for that long, other than pulled pork.)

Why not just try it? The worst that can happen is that you have a perfectly edible piece of pork that you just happen not to like that much because of the texture. If so, reduce the time for the next one.

1 Like

Hi, What were your results with the 9 hour process? I did overcook pork once, texture still ok and meat volume shrank, around 10-20% smaller.

Hi, I decided not to try it after doing some more reading. I cooked it for 2 hours and it was fine but nothing to write home about. Thanks for checking!