Tools for Accurate Temp Measurement

This discussion was created from comments split from: Epic Failure and merged with “Realizing the need for an accurate thermometer” discussion.

Original post (re: “Realizing the need…”) created by @saluki:

Since some of the times and temperatures in sous vide recipes vary widely I’m finding more and more reason for an accurate thermometer…That, and seeing that after following directions on some chicken that it still did have a slightly pink tinge… And yes, I’d love a hundred dollar Thermopen but, that is not in my budget… Wondering if anyone here has any experience with Lavatools Thermowand? I’m also considering Thermoworks Thermopop…

This thread concerns me, I’ve had no temperature control problems but, just in case…

I plan to use my ThermoWorks ChefAlarm. I’ll start by setting the High alarm a degree or two below the set-point, this will let me know that it’s time to get busy. Then I’ll move the High alarm a degree or two above the set-point, this now gives me warning of overheating. Then I’ll set the Low alarm a degree or two below the set-point, this takes care of under-heating and gives warning if the APC shuts down after a short power outage.

Shoot, I’ll probably set the timer while I’m at it. I usually use the microwave timer but it’s not very loud. And, if the power even blinks, well, you know.

As long as I’m within hearing range, and the ChefAlarm’s quite loud, I should be safe. It only takes a little time, and seems well worth it to avoid a “well boiled” steak.

Tom

1 Like

@TomD The ChefAlarm looks like a great tool to use, especially for long cooks. It seems like it does a lot more than a Thermapen and for a lot better of a price.

Should you have any issues at all with the temp going rogue, please let me know. Your device should be okay but in the off chance that it is buggy, we’ll be happy to issue a replacement.

@jordan I think there’s room for both. The Thermapen is unexcelled for fast, accurate, portable, measurements but there’s no way to use it for remote reading. The ChefAlarm is a little unhandy to hold, you have the cord to mess with (the sous vied’s probe wire is a lot more flexible), and it’s not as fast as the Thermapen. But, if cost was an issue, I’d go with the ChefAlarm.

I also have one of the original ThermoWorks oven thermometers (now discontinued), and a nearly identical Pyrex version. These are available under several names, usually around $20, and I’d be sure to keep one around. My baked potatoes WILL come out at 210 degrees while the APC delivers a perfectly cooked steak.

I’ve had no problem with the APC’s thermal control and I don’t really expect any. The old Cold War motto seems appropriate, Trust, but Verify.

Tom

This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=anovacommunity-20&linkId=70b53b86b9a13f984258612add1b6067 is regarded as one of the best among cheap thermometers.

I have 2 Thermapens and have used Thermopops. I do not feel handicapped at all when I only have a Thermopop. 3 seconds faster is nice when you are temping steaks over a blazing hot fire, but aside from that the rotating display and backlight of the Thermopop is quite nice. I’ve compared the accuracy, that they were both dead on. I actually thinking about picking up a Thermopop the next time they run an open box sale.

@Saluki Any digital thermometer from the brand CDN will do absolutely fine. They’re cheap and easy in use.
I do a lot of pastry, think of making macarons or boiling sugar with different outcomes.
No need to buy a fancy grade thermometer for kitchen usage. Good luck and happy cooking.

I’ve read reviews on the Sweethome regarding all three thermometers and have ruled out the Lavatools thermowand… although it seems accurate the probe seems too short for uses especially near splattering oil or a blazing hot oven or the grill… So its between the CDN and the Thermopop…
Thanks @vtemkin and @Matthijs —I had no idea CDN is such a reliable brand…
@DMW —Thanks for mentioning about open box sales from the company… I put my name on the mailing list for notification…that Thermoworks ChefAlarm would be awfully tempting in an open box sale…

@TomD How often do you measure the water temp with other tools when cooking? Do you do it every single time you cook with your Anova?

Funny you mention hot oil, I used my Thermapen last week to check oil temps when deep frying eggrolls.

@saluki Also, @TomD mentioned a ChefAlarm as a good alternative - check out this thread for more details: http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/523/measurement-tools#latest

@Jordan This is new. I (naturally) checked the APC’s temperature against my Thermapen when I first got it, then maybe a time or two since. The two always agreed so I just relied on The APC.

But the Epic Failure thread got me to thinking about a possible breakdown or power glitch. I already had the ChefAlarm and realized it was the perfect tool for the job. Now I use it every time I fire up the APC.

This is the first use I’ve found for the Low Alarm, I used to just leave it at 32 degrees and ignored it. Note that it will alarm if you take the probe out of the water and it drops to room temperature, it’s just a little startling the first time.

I use a Maverick ET-733. I have it primarily for smoking pork and beef. It has 2 probes one can be used for the food and the other for the smoker or both for different foods at the same time. None of the ones mentioned, including mine, are really suitable for checking the temperature of the water. The Anova is accurate to 0.01°C the Thermopen is 0.04°C. If you just want to make sure it is close any of the ones mentioned will work but to be certain a unit is dead on you need a very expensive piece of calibrated gear. I don’t think there is anything in our kitchens that even comes close to the Avona’s temperature control capabilities.

Since some of the times and temperatures in sous vide recipes vary widely I’m finding more and more reason for an accurate thermometer…That, and seeing that after following directions on some chicken that it still did have a slightly pink tinge… And yes, I’d love a hundred dollar Thermopen but, that is not in my budget… Wondering if anyone here has any experience with Lavatools Thermowand? I’m also considering Thermoworks Thermopop…

I like that the Anova is accurate to 0.1c, it gives nerd cred and bragging rights, but in practice I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recipe that needs accuracy of even 0.5c. I’d be happy to be proved wrong though!

Perhaps there’s a business opportunity here, much akin to a piano tuner, where you could pay someone with a precisely calibrated thermometer to come to your kitchen and set up your Anova :slight_smile:

I hit too many zeros in the Thermopen it is ±0.4°C

I just received a ThermoWorks RT600C and really like it. I chose it because it has a better native accuracy specification than other models such at the ThermoPop. The fact that the RT600C is water resistant was another selling feature for me.

After doing an insulated cup/distilled water/ice test to prove basic accuracy I did some studies with my new APC.

For several up/down cycles I tested the APC against the RD600C - covering and insulating the vessel (12 qt stainless stock pot wrapped in a folded towel and covered with stretched saran wrap) and allowing things to stabilize for 5 minutes at each of 3 temperatures and found the APC and the RT600C to track within .5 degrees of each other after equilibrium was reached.. 

As a side experiment I also monitored temps before they reached equilibrium and saw up to 2 degrees differential. In addition I tried simply removing the cover from the vessel and this too messed with the correlation.

Bottom line after repeating this experiment over a few cycles is that the APC is amazingly accurate and consistent and I no longer feel the need to micromonitor it during cooking.

Yes, I'm an engineer...