Turn off at end of timer

I’m sure there is an easy way to do this but can’t for the life of me work it out.

My old air fryer used to turn off when the timer finished. I’ve been caught a few times with very burnt food as it keep chugging along full steam after the timer period expired.

My only work around is to set another oven task at 25c. This works but I’m sure there is a more normal method.

2 Likes

I believe the only way to get this to happen is to program your cook through the app.

I almost always use the app. How do you do it from within the app that was the point of my post I can’t work out how to do it.

I just realized I have mislead you – apologies!

I have to cheat: I set an extra stage at 32 degrees with the lights off. You just have to remember to actually turn the oven off when you collect the food.

Hey Tony!

The APO is not designed to turn off after a certain time. The timer is for notification purposes. @JoeInOttawa is correct that you can set the oven to the lowest temp and that will effectively stop the oven from heating, but the oven itself will still retain a lot of heat which will lead to overcooking

Can we request this as a feature request/option?

It’s something that literally every air fryer does.

Consider it requested! We’ve heard this feedback, but it’s tricky because food safety issues are in play if the user doesn’t retrieve the food before food safety precautions set in. The APO is not an air fryer, and there are many more complexities to consider. Thanks, Tony!

2 Likes

I get you but there’s other reasons I use it. E.g. yesterday I put it on at 60 for 10 minutes with the door cracked just to dry it out after using it to sous vide. And came back 2 hours later to find it still running…

I’m sure the app developers can work something out. Option of “keep warm” or “turn off” at end. The app is amazing and look forward to future improvements.

1 Like

Some form of this needs to be a feature. I too came back to over done food. I can imagine if I had left the house thinking it would turn off, only to come back to a house on fire. If it comes down to it, I’d choose food spoilage over a house fire.

Considering we can make the judgment call on whether or not to eat potentially spoiled food, if we left the house under the impression a smart oven would be smart enough to turn off after cooking, but not doing so, resulting in a $300 000 house fire then who is most likely to be held accountable?

I thought of the following which may also address liability concerns:

Forced timer else cooking doesn’t start. (Prevents person from walking away and forgetting )

Single stage and end of last stage:

one minute warning

Timer elapsed:
Top element off, bottom element off, rear element and fan off.

Target temp: 140°F (holding temp)
Humidity:100% (until temp is reduced enough where burning, smoldering, fire, is unlikely to happen)

Bottom element on. Target temp: 140°f Humidity 0%

initialize counter to display the time the food has been holding

send phone notifications and commence oven beeping at predetermined intervals.

At the two hour mark oven turns off with error code and a final notification that suggests the food should be discarded.

Just add an additional step with a cool down to your holding temp.

1 Like

The easiest option to hold food is to set the APO to sous vide mode, 140F/60-100% humidity! You have full control over the APO as well, and can even set a stage to turn the oven to the lowest temperature which simulates “off”.

I believe this “feature” request somehow assumes that when one turn the oven off it cools down rapidly. Well, it doesn’t. It’s an oven and if you turn it off after a high temp cook and believe your food can survive inside the oven for an extended time you’re likely to be disappointed. All the other features are easily achieved by adding additional stages, fast cooling is not an option due to the insulated nature of an oven. Most (all ?) conventional ovens don’t turn off either, air fryers do but they cool down relatively fast.
What I would like is an option to control the fan from the handle.

2 Likes

Sort of.

Every oven I’ve ever owned has a timer function that turns off at the end.

But your point is valid. The situation I’m more considering is you are crisping the top of (say) some chicken and have a 5 minute timer and the top grill on. If it turns off at the end of 5 minutes you are right it will continue to cook, but the benefit is it won’t be burned to a crisp if I miss it by 5 minutes. I have had this exact experience. Received a phone call at the wrong time. Came back 10 minutes later assuming the oven would be off only to find “blackened chicken” - and not in the Louisiana style unfortunately.

Your points are all valid but nevertheless this should be an option.

1 Like

I too had to step away and came back to chicken cutlets turned jerky.

considering the heat retention when the element is turned off, having the cook end 5 minutes early after a warning chime or notification that has to be acknowledged, and then a counter displaying elapsed time may be of benefit.

As a reiteration I mentioned this earlier in a lengthy response to Anovas concern over food spoilage (even though food spoilage isn’t their liability, but the consumers).

The addition of a cool-down phase entered manually, assumes we are foreseeing that we won’t be around to babysit the oven and pre-planning to forget its still cooking?

It’s frustrating. It’s the typical developer “my way or the highway” ethos. I’ve seen similar opinions in other products that I’ve eventually dumped.

Hopefully Anova continue to listen to their customers - I’m not confident though as there are a lot of other requests that they’ve ignored.

I love the product, but they need to stop reading the press on how good they are.

1 Like

This is definitely not a feature I want unless it is an option that can be set as the final step in a stage. I have never had a real oven that turned off with a timer. Toaster ovens, yes. Real ovens, no. It would definitely be a bad idea in SVM, because the food would so quickly fall into the danger zone. The same for baking. I made banana bread in my APO last night. It took 5 minutes longer than planned, so the oven would have turned off 5 minutes early if it was going by the timer.

I find that strange. Every oven I’ve ever had has a basic timer that turns off at the end of the timer. That is if you use the timer. If you just turn it on the timer has no affect.

But I do agree - it should be an option.

And I think you’re way over estimating the “danger zone”. How long are you intending to leave it in the oven after its turned off? If you’re coming back 2 hours later I think the point is moot. It would either be in “the danger zone” or charcoal…

3 Likes

I’m not going to leave it in the oven at all. I’m going to take it out as soon as the timer is done or, if it is sous vide mode, whenever I’m ready to take it out. If it is SVM I absolutely do not want it to shut off when the timer finishes. The only time I might want that to happen is for a high temp cook with a roast that could stay in the oven while it cools down. Even then, I’d prefer to set another stage for that period.

Maybe I’m just not thinking this through enough. You may have a valid point. What are the benefits you think having this feature would provide?

Glad you’re considering other points of view - pity the developers are not so flexible.

Firstly I think it should be an option. If you are using sous vide mode I would say the default should be to continue. Obviously an overshoot of 30 mins when sous viding a steak at 53 matters next to nothing.

OTOH last night I cooked streaky bacon - using the bacon 101 recipe. At the time I was also cooking thinly slicked pork loin on the cranking hot char grill out the back.

Bacon finished. Didn’t hear the 5 chimes and my phone rarely gives me a proper alert (another story - tried everything to get it to ring inc 2 add-in apps)

End result:
Google Photos

And yes I know there is residual temperature and if it turned off it still would have possibly been burnt. But not to this extent. In my experience it will drop quickly from 190c to 140c or so and again from experience with the bacon - a lot less burning.

Lucky the bacon was for a caesar salad and was still okay to eat although not ideal.

@jonra The request is more about having a failsafe as an option since people don’t plan for forgetfulness when using conventional baking dehydrating, maybe even proofing. In SVM and broil mode this wouldn’t be ideal for obvious reasons (one doesn’t require supervision while the other does).

As an example, if someone were to bake something at 350°f and set a timer for 40 minutes, the failsafe would send an alert at 34 minutes giving the person the opportunity to acknowledge the alert to continue or stop cooking (akin to pressing the stop/start on the handle). If the person doesn’t acknowledge the alert in 60 seconds, then it shuts off, or switches to a hold mode.

I briefly timed the oven after one of my cooks, as if this feature was built in, by getting the oven up to temperature and then switching to SVM at 85°F 0% steam. The oven seemed to drop 50°F in 2.5 minutes which may save the cook given the 5 minute buffer. Adding 100% humidity for a period of time as the temp is dropping may even help prevent burning, but since I was hungry, I cut the test short. :upside_down_face:

I may do a proper more complete test in the future to see what the results are.

1 Like