Turn off at end of timer

You’ve got it in one. That’s what I had in mind option.

This option would have “saved my bacon” #punintended

“Most (all ?) conventional ovens don’t turn off either, air fryers do but they cool down relatively fast.” … This isn’t correct, if you use the timer function on a conventional oven it will turn off automatically at the end of the timer cycle.

1 Like

We can assure you we have thought about and considered this feature request often and with serious discussion. At this time it is not part of the roadmap.

This is something you need to add in. It’s really a non-negotiable feature.

My convection microwave stops at the end of cooking in both microwave and convention modes, my built in oven does as well. Every oven I’ve owned did.

Put it this way - it’s a fire hazard if you don’t. Would you rather someone gets sick from food poisoning (which you can add a disclaimer and a checkbox to enable the feature within the app to remove your liability) or would you rather someone’s house burn down?

If you would prefer the risk of someone’s house burning down, thats fine, just say so.

Why else do you think EVER OTHER oven stops cooking when the timer stops? It’s nothing about food safety or cooking quality. It’s liability.

This is my solution to the problem anyway … Add a hold step to the recipe. But obviously relies upon using the app rather than the oven controls directly.

1 Like

I think they have the “I’m the developer and I know better” mentality. Very frustrating level of arrogance.

Maybe you’re right, every oven with a timer stops but I still believe a large part, maybe the majority of ovens, behaves like the APO, I have never seen a domestic oven with a timer, except microwaves, airfryers and the like of course. For them it makes sense, quick high heat cooking and they cool down quickly once you turn them off, an ordinary oven doesn’t. So for me this is the expected behaviour of an oven. It is also consistent with the way the stick operates.
And, all the different options discussed, turn off f, keep warm or whatever you want the oven to do after the timer ends is easily done by adding a final stage. It requires using the app but you can actually save the different options and just edit the cooking stage. Look at Toast 101, that last stage is equal to turning the oven off, still, if you left your toast in the APO after that, it would quickly turn into charcoal so high heat cooking requires your attention and presence unlike sous vide mode where most people cooking for several hours, some even cook for days, probably don’t stay at the oven for the entire time, I even go to bed.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen an oven made in the last decade that didn’t stop when the timer stops.

It’s expected behaviour in the modern world. Let alone in an advanced oven like the APO.

Well, every other oven except every other proper, slide-in oven. No conventional oven I have ever owned shut off when the timer went off.

Welcome home to me, none of our conventional ovens have a timer. But maybe our next will be more updated? Or appdated.

Which conventional ovens do you have?

p

All of mine have.

Maybe it’s not common in your country… But any oven sold in Australia in the last decade has this function, and most in the last two decades.

I would say 20 years. Just looked at the oven in my house. It’s ancient and if you use the timer it turns off at the end.

The last oven I had that didn’t was ages ago, and the “timer” on that oven was more akin to a reminder timer - i.e. a bell went off at the end. This was a very basic oven.

And the suggestions that you can simulate “off” by dropping the temperature are not correct. as the fan still runs and as anyone who is aware of the difference between fan forced and convection is a aware, there will still be more cooking happening.

The point is probably moot as the developers have considered our request and deemed it not worthy of their time to implement even as an option.

Look at the final stage of Toast 101. 25 C, bottom heat, SV mode off, lights off and of course fan off. That is the closest thing to turning it off but it will stay hot for some time, it is an insulated oven. So yes, the cooking will continue but not because of the fan but because of the temperature, the way to stop cooking is to take the food out of the oven. Which is the reason a timer that turns off the oven isn’t really a way of stopping cooking your food.
The developers are not, in my opinion, arrogant. There is obviously at least two different points of view here and I personally think they made the right decision. And, again, all the different ways asked for of ending your cooking when the timer ends can easily be implemented as a final stage of your cook.

3 Likes

I’m not even thinking about food quality, but about safety.

We all get distracted at times, it doesn’t take much for something fatty or carb heavy on a high temperature setting with the top element on for a fire to break out if forgotten for an extra 5-10 minutes.

At least if the elements switched off after the timer Bings, fire isn’t a concern at all.

I’m honestly surprised the legal team at Anova hasnt picked up on the liability issues with this.

I guess it comes one to a simple question - if you want to cook something for an hour, why would you want it to cook for longer, unless of course you checked it and it needed extra cooking time?

I seldom use the app as the APO is just as easy to use without it.

p

i understand the limitations, but i think that being able to turn off the oven at the end of a timer is still both useful and desirable.

and there should be an option in the app to configure the behavior (turn off or not) when NOT using the app. i.e. if you’re just doing a simple cook without the app (using hardware interface only), you should be able to have the timer turn off the oven by default.

it sounds like you’re prioritizing food safety and/or lack of app overcomplexity over what many of us clearly want. you’re also potentially prioritizing against fire safety, lol.

please reconsider adding additional timer options.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s anything really to do with food safety.

It’s just the developers think they know better than everyone else. And hence nothing will change.

The oven is a great product but there are a lot of frustrating “features” (e.g. the temp changing on the handle going into hyper drive).

the temp changing on the handle going into hyper drive

huh?

As others have pointed out, you can create another stage that will drop the temp to room temperature. Turning off the fan can also be set in that stage. Simply set the steam to 0% and use any other heating element other than the rear one then set the fan to off.