Turn off at end of timer

Only if you’re using the app.

You shouldn’t have to use the app for functionality that should be built in.

The first question people often ask is “can I use it as an air-fryer”. Right now I say “no”. It doesn’t turn off at the end so if you’re not careful you’ll end up with ruined food. This reasoning has cost anova at least 5 sales from people I’ve spoken to who have been surprised and disappointed and decided to pass on it. FWIW 3 of these are “app challenged” and will never use the app.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback!

I am a newbie that just got the APO. I had posted the same question regarding the timer and I am amazed to find out that the timer expiration does not STOP the cooking.

An intelligent oven that lacks the most basic function. In a multiple user home, not everyone is going to depend on the App for most basic baking functions.

The lack of a crumb tray is another. Time to consider returning this while it is in the trial period. Anyone have experience on returning this oven? Just the shipment cost would be expensive.

Wish I could have checked out this oven locally.

1 Like

The app is not required to use the oven! You can use the full controls on the front of the oven, and the oven not turning off is a conscious decision. This is not a standard oven!

Actually, that is not totally correct. There are functions only available in the App. Without the App, it is assume you are already an expert with the oven. Kind of Catch-22.

For example, I complained that basic functions such as Broil are not on the oven. In the App, there is a Broil function that simply programs the oven for that mode. Sure, now that you know what settings you use Broil, you can do that manually on the oven.

APO User Manual really should point these things out for a newbie. Saying that this is NOT a standard oven is a total cop out. Saying so does not make your oven any more useable. Better support would.

BTW, can one create their own program settings and ADD to the modes selections on the App? I like to see some support similar to Macros so that we can share amongst users.

Appreciate the feedback! These 4 pages are great reading for learning the basic functions of the APO: What is a Combi Oven? – Anova Culinary

Recipe copying/editing is coming very soon! We totally agree that this functionality would be great, and are excited to share more soon.

Actually, we don’t have full control from the oven, what’s missing is control of the fan. As it is now you can only run the oven with the fan at full speed unless you use the app.

1 Like

You also can’t set steam at 5% for example. Or change the element as required (e.g. top and rear).

And yes it’s a cop out. On one hand they have their media (FB etc) saying it will replace your air fryer, but then on the other hand it doesn’t do basic air fryer (or indeed almost every normal oven) functionality (i.e. the ability to turn off at the end).

Unfortunately feels very much like “developer arrogance”.

Hey Tony! You can set the steam in 5% increments on the touch controls itself, and also select top + rear elements from there as well. Both of these were updated in past firmware releases.

Good catch on the fan! You are correct

Just checked - I’m on firmware 1.2.7 and definitely cannot set 5% steam. It goes to 10% from zero. Then up by 5% increments.

And yes realised you’re right about the selection of elements. Forgot that had changed.

Still need to use the app to select fan and TBH most times to select temperature due to the out of control temp selector on the door. Goes for 0.1 increments, to 1 degree to 10 degrees. Trying to get to 75 it goes super slow then next thing it’s at 100. So then have to go back down by 0.1 degree, then it goes into hyperdrive and I’m at 60. Why we need 0.1 degree accuracy when not in sous vide mode is anyone’s guess… Another developer thing where they “know better than the users! Do it my way or don’t do it at all!” (Like the no turn off at end…)

In defence I have to say that it does basic air frying, i. e. blowing a lot of very hot air on my chicken wings and fries, and it does it really well. Turning off with the timer is something you want but it cannot be the essence of air frying.
Also, I believe it’s unfair to call it developer arrogance, some of us don’t like the oven to turn off, some do. If one wants it to turn off with a timer, then multistage cooking is available. I believe some of the demand for this timer control is based on the assumption that once you turn it off it will be cool. But it’s not a mw or toaster, it’s an oven and it cools down slowly so one must be around and remove the food once it’s done anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, this is still strange to me.
Firstly, who need .1 degree resolution? The temperature swing is much larger.
Secondly, why not have that in the app and let the handle have whole degrees, or maybe .5, like on the stick.

We have done LOTS of talking to our customers, and the vast majority expect the timer to notify, and not turn off the APO!

That’s what I thought.

Interesting reply. Can you share the survey? Curious about the type of users. Bakers probably agree, but a Combi oven should serve all.

As a developer in the semiconductor manufacturing business, I have learned the giving users the OPTION is always better.

As a programmable oven, why not give users the option to choose turn off upon timer end. Seems easier than debating who is right.

1 Like

I’d be interested too. Very different opinions here on the forums and on the FB group but hey what do I know…

And to be clear. We’re not saying it must turn off, just an option in the app.

1 Like

No not at all. I think anyone with the intelligence of a 2 year old would realise that turning off a well insulated oven doesn’t make it instantly drop 200 degrees.

If you read the entire thread that I started way back in August it’s pretty clear what we’re asking for and why. I’m not rehashing those reasons again here, or sharing the pics again. Suggest reading the whole thread.

It’s a well-sealed, non-flammable, high melting point (metal/glass) box. That’s going to greatly limit the amount of oxygen available to feed any fire. And the oven doesn’t reach the auto-ignition points of common cooking oils, which are above 400°C (though I’m not sure if the elements might, but probably only when the oven is heating, not when its fully heated).

That said… you can get a lot of very noxious smoke without actually having a fire. And all that smoke can do damage itself.

But absent doing something crazy, it’s probably pretty hard to burn your house down with an APO.

Excuse me, but my toaster switches off when the time is up. My Siemens induction hood switches off when the time is up.

If you really think this is an issue, just print is disclaimer somewhere. But soon please. We are talking a very basic rudimentary function here that every oven has.

In the meantime, what is the lowest NO STEAM setting? I do bread and obviously can’t fave steam.

Probably bottom heat, but how low can it go?