Turn off at end of timer

So the vast majority want their food overcooked or burned?

No, we know the difference between an ordinary oven (does not get cold when you turn it off), air fryer ( gets cold relatively quickly when you turn it off), microwaves and induction stoves ( gets cold immediately when you turn it off) so we understand that you have to remove the food from an hot oven once it’s done or it will be burnt or overcooked.

Why not make it optional, with notify being the default and turn off being an option?

p

Till Anova fixed that bug here is my tested workaround:

Simply add one stage like: 40°C, 0%, bottom, fan low, 5 Minutes - or similar (times does not really matter since it doesn’t switch off anyway). Tested and works!

All good! Right? Well, not exactly, but the coming part is outside of what Anova can do:

This may not apply to you, but when I (I bake a lot) do i.e. baguettes, I certainly do not want to maintain heat after baking (^I fixed that with the step above^), I want the heat go down instantly - setting temp to 40°C will not do that - switching the oven off will not do that either! (heat loss after 40°/off is very slow, like 10°C/Min or so - I didn’t measure it).

Solution: You need to open the door. No other way with this (or actually with most) ovens

Considerations for future designs:

• A rapid cool down mode (blowing hot air out can be an issue)
  • A door gap open mode (That’s what I typically do)

Anyway, I can live with that set-low-stage workaround.

1 Like

If you look at one of my earlier posts you’ll see that i suggested the last stage of Toast 101 as the closest thing to turning it off, 25 C bottom element, no steam, sv mode off, fan off and lights off. But, as you pointed out, the oven stays hot.
And you’re obviously good at baking!

My concern is how that is applicable if not using app

p

It’s not, without the app you can’t do staged cooking, but it’s the closest thing to turning the oven off with the timer.

This whole topic is frustrating.

Anova keep saying “most people don’t want it to turn off” but:

• I know a lot of people with the APO (I have 2 myself) and exactly none of them have been asked

• We want it as an option. Meaning even if these mystery people that were asked (that no one knows about - perhaps in the Anova office…) it won’t affect them. Option

2 Likes

The responses from Anova seem “uppity”.

There is an active thread on your forum, that wont go away, because people do want this feature.

Lets argue for a moment - and say that some dont want the feature. Ok, sure. However - enabling it as an optional feature we can add to recipes - how exactly will this hurt ‘those people’?

My Breville does this. My built in oven from the 70s does this.

Just take a deep breath - stop literally shaking - and just add the damn feature.

Walk over to the team and say “hey guys here is what we need done asap” and add the feature. Tell us you’ve done this.

Remember Apple fighting owners about their crappy MacBook keyboards? Or old Steve having the gumption to say “you’re holding it wrong”. Thats Anova - right now.

Stop it.

I want to give you a quote that I just made that you can print out as a banner (you do have a dotmatrix printer with a box of paper under it… right?)

Being steadfast in wrongness creates resentment.

Listen to your customers - respond professionally - assure that legitimate, reasonable requests will be addressed in a timely fashion.

2 Likes

Really good analogies.

Agree 100%

100% agreement from me as well.

An option does NOT affect those who refuse to use the shutoff mode. Meantime, the rest of us must suffer for this philosophical view.

Thanks

1 Like

I, and I believe pretty much everybody, agrees with you. Make the oven switch off!

However, this will not solve the/my problem. Even when the oven is off, it cools down quite slowly (this ain’t Anova’s fault), when I do baguettes or salmon with the sensor stuck in it for switch off - off ain’t good enough - you must be there and open the door.

So, yes, please with sugar on top, get that feature. It won’t really help with most of the stuff I do though. But see it from that way - in case I forgot about the oven, have an accident or whatever - the food is gone anyway - but I don’t want the oven to run till the cows come home!

1 Like

Appreciate everyone’s feedback! Will definitely pass this along.

Having choices can be useful in the kitchen. This cook appreciates his combi oven doing both, keep on running at end of set time, or shut off, - depending. Leaving food in an unattended operating oven isn’t an attribute of a conscious cook.

When baking it’s often for multiple consecutive batches and my oven keeps on keeping on at the end of each batch. When using the probe my default is oven-off and signal when target temperature is attained. Done to just the exact degree.

One exception, and there are plenty of others, is when baking cheesecakes a slow cool down in the oven results in the best outcome, no cracked tops from rapid cooling.

1 Like

i 120% agree with all the comments above. No auto off is big risk, cooling down slowly is frustrated. Why can’t have a function key even in the app, set as cool down mode so the oven will get set off after cool down to room temperature. Need the fan still on to increase the ventilation inside the oven so it can cool down quickly. Is a very simple request!

1 Like

I would like to add the I was on the verge of buying this today after wanting it for months. I of course lookee up reviews and user feedback and being required to use the app for something as basic as the oven turning off at the end of the timer is a total deal breaker.

I want the ability to use all the features of this oven with an app but I also need all the features to be available without it. Especially a feature as simple as this that exists on every other oven.

This can all be done in the app! You will just need to set the program to do so. Unfortunately there is no fast way to cool the oven. This is just a limit of thermodynamics. A hot oven is going to stay hot for a good while unless the door is opened. There is just nowhere for the heat to go quickly.

Appreciate the feedback! This is unlike any other oven, for lots of reasons! Combi steam ovens do not turn off at the end of cooking.

Thanks for feedback, however, need the user set their own program, which actually everyone needs that, is not ideal.

now i put a progam called “cool down” to 25 degree C for 20 mins, and with door open, the oven can cool down per the program. but again i need to press the stop button to stop the program which is annoying (cos I forgot to do so and it ran for another 30 mins or so)…

My previous combi steam did turn off when the time was up and I believe all combi steam ovens do.

Maybe your combi steam oven had a defect?

Honestly, I can’t understand the fuzz Anova is making around that error. It’s easy to fix. And if a user want to run the oven till the cows come home it’s easy to program too.

3 Likes