Unable to Connect to WiFi and STRONG Plastic Smell

I purchased an Anova Precision Cooker (WiFi version) a few weeks ago. When the unit arrived, I couldn’t get it to connect to my WiFi network. I spent the better part of 3 hours with customer support trying to resolve the issue, but still couldn’t get a WiFi connection.
They shipped out a replacement unit in a timely manner, but when I received it today, I immediately noticed a VERY strong plastic/electronics smell coming from the unit as soon as I opened the box. I definitely didn’t notice this with the original unit. It’s so strong that it’s practically filling up my entire apartment. There’s no way I can keep using it if this odor doesn’t go away.
I tried connecting it to WiFi and I still can’t get it to work.

Is this strong smell something that might dissipate in time after running it for awhile? I’ve tried running it thinking maybe that might help, but so far it still has the strong plastic/electronics odor.

Also, I’m using an Airport Express router, so perhaps the Anova isn’t compatible with it? I’ve tried connecting using the 2.4 ghz network, but still no luck.

Have we heard enough of these yet to conclude that Anova has a serious manufacturing, warehousing or shipping problem that it needs to own up to?

Please contact Anova Support. They’ll be able to help you.

I had an opposite experience.

I purchased a Wifi unit from Amazon 3 weeks ago and the unit I got from Amazon was so bad in plastic/burnt electronics smell that was unusable even after I left it out in the yard for a full day that I had to return to Anova. They sent me a replacement a week later and that one has NO hint of any plastic smell or any other odor.

You’ve really gotta hit up support so they can help you out with some of the issues going on with your cooker. Like @FL_LA said, they can help swap out your cooker if it’s smelling and/or acting weird.

I’ve had the same issue for weeks and all I’m getting are canned responses from support and not getting any help at all. It’s ridiculous that it needs to be this difficult to connect to wifi and why should I have spent extra money on a function that just simply doesn’t work where support cannot help :confused:

I am having the same problem with the smell. I got this for Christmas and have used it 10 or 15 times. I thought the smell would fade but it’s just as a strong 6 months later. I have a pretty big house and the smell fills every room, its awful. I am nearing the end of a 24 hr cook and have a headache from the smell so I’m here trying to find out what I can do about it. Glad to see I’m not alone but bummed that it seems to be a defect and I have to rely on the good graces of their customer service department. I just emailed customer service, I hope they offer to replace it …

@Harbisgirl, Based on what I’ve read on this forum Anova support has been pretty responsive to the people who have experienced this problem. Here’s hoping that things go as well for you!

Yes, we will replace that for you. A strong, unbearable smell is definitely not usual!

Yep, Anova replied within an hour offering to replace it. Talk about customer service, I’m so impressed!

1 Like