What are you dreaming of cooking when yr anova arrives

I am not a backer, I preordered from the website, so I’m stuck at the back of the line. I’m impatient and excited like everyone else, but I’m trying to distract myself., so In the meantime, I’m getting very excited dreaming about what I’m going to cook. I’ve got in mind OSso buco, homemade cheeses and lamb.

I’m also thinking about easy week night family meals. I’d like to be able to make a bunch of stuff ahead of time and drop a frozen bag on my way out the door to go to work so dinner is ready when I get home, with maybe just a quick sear. I’ve been wondering about extended cook times and if texture will suffer.

What’s everybody else dreaming about while they are waiting?

Personally I’ve started changing my dreams from a lavish new years dinner to looking for great summer recipes :wink:

Seriously it’ll probably be red meat of some sort.

I’m thinking something with autumn fruits. Autumn 2015

It’s arriving tomorrow (sorry guys and girls) and my first experiment will be Coffee Butter Steak and Spinach

I might actually start out with seeing how precise it truly is with a poached egg first.

Sous Vide is new to me so will be doing a lot of experimenting.Hoping to find good recipes and things to try on this forum once the dust settles.

Since you’re looking for convenience it’s better to do a lot of batch cooking ahead of time (ie 5-10 pouches of whatever protein / usually I have to set aside an entire day on the weekend for this). After cooking do the ice bath thing and throw them all in the freezer. Then when you get home from work pull out a frozen packet and warm it back up to target temp while you make your sides which take time to cook anyways (ie rice/veggies/whatever). Voila dinner is done. My freezer probably has 10-15 precooked packets of various meats/fish ready to be reheated.

How long does a frozen product take to come back up to temp. I know it would vary due to type and thickness but as a rule. What do you do then open the bag and test temp. I was going to use vacuum sealer.

How long does a frozen product take to come back up to temp. I know it would vary due to type and thickness but as a rule. What do you do then open the bag and test temp. I was going to use vacuum sealer.

It usually takes about 30 or so minutes. Those 30 minutes are just enough time for me to do prep on my side items such as washing, cutting/dicing and well as the cooking and sauteing, etc. To be honest I dont measure the internal temp once the frozen item is back up to target temp. Almost 100% of the time the internals are very hot based on feeling. Upon reheating a previously sou vided item I dont think you have to be as concerned about pathogens as the first initial cook. Although if I reheated the previously cooked item in the dangerous temp range (ie below 130F) and held it there for prolonged periods (ie 1 or 2+ hours) then you might be in trouble (but this goes for all previously cooked items and leftovers sous vide or not). I may be wrong on this assumption but these are what I’ve gathered from various sources.

Also if you do the strategy I implement for the batch cooking ahead of time then immediately freezing you have to use a vacuum sealer. Using the air displacement ziplock bag technique is only good for food you intend to immediately eat after a sous vide cook.

Thanks for the tips

I’d recommend chilling batch-cooked items intended for freezing in an iced water bath rather than cooling at room temperature. Works better if you chuck some salt in with the ice as the temperature of the water will go lower.

30 minutes from (cooked) frozen to hot enough for the plate? Wow, that’s faster than I would have guessed. Although, in my head I’m picturing a thick pork loin roast - only because that’s what’s on the menu for tonight :slight_smile: and maybe you are cooking something more slender.

I like the plan of having something soak while I prepare sides in a relaxed way. And on the truly crazy soccer practice plus chorus concert plus whatever other silliness nights, nuking a pack of frozen veggies w some salt and butter is really a non issue.

I’ve been reading some about using it for homemade cheeses. Think I’m going to give that a try. I read in the manual that the official word is that the anova can only be used in a water bath. My guess is that has to do with food grade materials and liability and keeping some dumb ass from sticking it directly in a pot of stew. Haven’t gotten mine yet and hence haven’t been able to peek under the hood, so to speak, but I’m not immediately coming up w any reasons I couldn’t use it to heat milk directly.

Last thought here… If reheat from frozen is in the neighborhood of 30 minutes… I’m thinking about seeing if hubby could come up with a way for me to run it off a car battery or something. This might solve some sail boat menus… Hmmmm…

Love hearing what everyone is planning on cooking.

I’d assume it’s because all the gunky stuff like proteins and sugars in the milk would block the circulating system. I wouldn’t use it for cheese, unless you’re bagging the milk first.

If it’s this kind of thing ( http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/squeaky-cheese-curds ) in a sousvide supreme, then it only works because the bath has no circulator to worry about.

Mine arrived right after Thanksgiving. With several days of leftovers, I made eggs (boiled is not the right word).

I want to make a Haggis, but I’ve yet to find a sous vide recipe.

Suggestions anyone?

Mine arrived today! My plans for this evening include burgers and potatoes. The next meal will be flank steak and brussels sprouts. Everything was prepped last night, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my precision cookers!

Ooh, I’m excited you you. Let us know how it turns out. I’m particularly interested in if you use fresh garlic how that is as I have heard conflicting things about it. I’m guessing it has a lot to do with if you like the taste of raw garlic or prefer it more mellowed by high heat.

I went with pork tenderloin tonight, which I normally hate because I can’t make it without overcooking. It was PERFECT! 4 hours at 137 and it thrilled everyone.

@Dan‌ what did you do seasoning wise and pre-sear or post sear or both?