What was the first thing you cooked?

Thanks Ember…doing a 2 1/2 lb ribeye tommorow. Was just gonna sear it after 3 hr at 130f. Thanks for the advice!

I normally do not use the torch for the entire steak. What I do is sear the edges while it is searing in a hot pan. I find this easier than holding the meat with tongs to do the edges. I like this one because it uses the same fuel canister as my one burner portable device.

I did a pork loin wrapped in bacon from Costco… It was great… My 2nd thing was the raspberry swirl cream brulee… Oh my gosh, I have created a monster habit ! I then made a tangerine cream brulee. I had a bag of tangerines left over from Christmas and peeled, chopped and cooked them with just a little sugar until they thickened… I used the same recipe as the raspberry… It was Yummmy We didn’t torch them. We just ate them out of the jars as is.

2 Likes

You have me craving cream brulee! :heart_eyes:

Creme Brulee is just too easy using sous vide! It’s so easy to make it’s dangerous! :slight_smile:

And it freezes well!! :slight_smile: So you could easily justify making big batches. Heh. I try to give most of them away every time I make it. :slight_smile:

So, what do you brulee addicts do with the eggwhites?

I’d tell you but i dont want to go to prison. lol.

1 Like

I take the egg whites, add an additional egg (with yolk) and make a “mostly egg white” omelette - a little heavy on the cheese to add some richness.
My wife usually doesn’t care for “egg white” omelettes, but she seems to enjoy these. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I make lemon meringue pie.

1 Like

Without yolks in the lemon curd?

@Ember for the lightly browned meringue on top.

Yeah. But you usually use the whites from the eggs whose yolks go into the curd. Oh, never mind.
I’ve now got images of meringue piled so high it won’t fit in the oven door.

1 Like

Hm…sorry, but I’m not understanding why you need to cool the steak before searing. Wouldn’t that defeat the goal of serving a nice warm steak, because torching it is not going to warm it sufficiently if it has been cooled? We torch ours right after pulling it from the bag, using a Bernzomatic TS8000. I admit, it doesn’t give us a crust like I’d prefer, because I’m afraid of overcooking, but it darkens it considerably. And even then, the steak does not remain sufficiently warm for my taste. Yes, I use warmed plates.

The idea is to make it a “quick shock”, chilling only the outer surface but leaving the interior warm. As Ember states, it provides a small buffer zone for when you sear so that you can get the a decent maillard reaction without the fear of overcooking.

1 Like

Not the first thing I cooked but the first I got to take a photo of…chicken breast wrapped in bacon with mushroom sauce.
HEAVEN.

2 Likes

My first try was an experiment. Wanted to know if I could sous vide Kirkland Alaskan wild sockeye salmon in their original individual packaging. Worked very well - opened and topped with a butter/dill/lemon sauce. Love, love, love my new Anova Precision Cooker

1 Like

Nice!!! Do you remember what time and temperature you went for the salmon?

Yes, 115F for 40 min. But might try 35min next time.

1 Like

I got my Anova about 36 hours ago. First thing I cooked? A 2in thick, 28 day dry aged NY Strip seasoned with Hickory Smoked salt, Red/White/Black/Green ground pepper and some fresh thyme. Cooked for 3 hours @ 125F and seared with a heat gun. It was very very good, though I’ve had sous vide steaks before, and some crazy long dry aged steaks, and more than my share of Wagyu, so while it was better than 95% of all steaks I’ve eaten in my life, it probably won’t get a frame in the retrospective that is supposed to flash before my eyes at the final moments, just sayin’. Though I was not, by any means disappointed in the result, and I do think this first cook was every bit as good as I could have expected this protein itself to produce. I mean this is kind of the ubiquitous first cook and by all counts a predictable success.

While my first cook was something pretty much everyone with a circulator has done countless times, my 2nd cook, which I just ate a few hours ago, I’ve not seen anyone do, so lots of questions whether it would work at all. Butter Poached Salmon. I made a Beurre Monte on the stove top, which is liquefied butter not to be confused with melted butter, it’s generally what you use as the poaching medium for butter poached lobster. The idea of this is to start with a small amount of water brought to a boil and then reduce heat and add butter, wisking constantly, at low heat to keep the butter from separating like a simply melted butter does. What you end up with is butter that does not separate into solids and oils.

Anyway, I started with lemon juice instead of water, which I’ve never seen done, but hey it’s mostly water so, why not? Worked just fine, half a lb. of cultured French butter, seasoned it with saffron, turmeric and dill, this was going to be my poaching medium for a salmon steak, mid body cut, about 2in thick, and just shy of 1lb in weight. Poached it for 45min @ 120F. While it was cooking I used the little bit left of the Beurre Monte in the pot I made it in to make some dill Basmati rice to go with it, trying to keep this simple, well -ish.

It was pretty awesome, and yes I do mean that literally as in awe inspiring. It was, to my taste, perfectly, and by that I mean; just into the flakey stage, cooked. It cut simply by the weight of the fork, the skin reacted equally to a table knife, and yet it was not mush, at all. I don’t know how to describe it other than effortlessly flaky and logic defyingly moist. It might seem to some, to be too early or not done enough to be comforting and familiar, but this is sous vide, that isn’t the goal here, not for me at least. If all I’ve achieved is something that is like something else than I didn’t need a circulator to do that. It was cooked evenly throughout and had made the transition from raw fish flesh to a cooked product and I only make the comments above because a casual, non-foodie diner, may find what I made too unfamiliar to accept. I will say this method brought so much flavor back to the farm raised Atlantic salmon, though I am now very eager to try this on Wild Sockeye, which is a whole other level in taste but also a very tough fish to not get dry and tough.

Tomorrow; a nice thick Veal Loin Chop, with maybe Octopus this weekend, something I’ve eaten that was prepared amazingly twice and a rubbery disaster more times than I can count.