Bourbon Glazed Salmon w/ Sweet Potato Relish, Crispy Sage, Blue Grits

One of the more recent dishes I have done, some bourbon glazed salmon! Recipe is bit intensive, but the sous vide portion (salmon) is dead simple, and the star of the dish. You can cook the fish at whichever temp you like, but 120F is my fave for salmon that doesn’t quite flake and is SUPER tender.

Bourbon Glazed Salmon, Sweet Potato Relish, Crispy Sage, Blue Grits

6 oz skinless salmon filet
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup coarse blue grits
1/2 sweet potato
1 small tomato
1 shallot
Red Wine Vinegar
Fresh Sage
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Canola Oil

Blue Grits

These grits will need soaked overnight prior to continuing with the rest of the recipe. Simply cover grits with 1.5 cups of water and leave at room temp. The next morning, cook them directly in the water they soaked in after removing any husks/shells that have floated to the top.

Bring grits and the soaking water to a simmer and stir constantly for 6-8 minutes until slightly thickened. Cover and simmer as low as possible. Every 10 minutes, add hot water as necessary to keep grits from getting too tight. When grits are soft, roughly 50-60 minutes, whisk in a knob of butter and season with salt and pepper.

Bourbon Glaze:

Combine bourbon and brown sugar and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in butter until emulsified and cook over low heat until slightly reduced.

Salmon:

Prior to cooking salmon sous vide, liberally apply kosher salt and put in fridge for up to 1 hour. Rinse fish, apply bourbon glaze, and cook at 120F for 30 minutes. There is no sear/finish necessary. Salmon will be cooked through, but incredibly tender.

Sweet Potato Relish

Add diced shallot and tomato to pan and cook until both have softened. While the shallot and tomato are cooking, add diced sweet potato to a pot of boiling of water and cook until just soft, 2-3 minutes. Add drained sweet potato to shallot/tomato mixture and add cumin, smoked
paprika, and onion powder. Deglaze with a splash of red wine vinegar and saute until all liquid is gone and mixture is fragrant.

Crispy Sage

Flash fry whole sage leaves in canola oil until just crispy

Look forward to sharing and seeing some more recipes from y’all.

2 Likes

Looks like another winner.

I need to get back to taking pictures of the food I cook.

2 Likes

I am going to try making this this weekend!

1 Like

@john.jcb Yes! No shame in my food picture game haha

I just tried our new Anova for the first time tonight and did the salmon as in the recipe. I cooked it at 130 for 45 minutes and it was great. It was very tender and basically fell apart. The glaze added a great flavour. My wife doesn’t like the fishy smell of fresh fish but there was no fishy smell at all. Highly recommend this recipe.

1 Like