can we talk bread?

:grinning: true! Could also makes dough and split it in half. Keep one half in the fridge and bake it the next day.

It will use 2 times the electricity and be more work.
I’m looking to buy a bigger Dutch oven. The challenger bread pan is looking very promising but also quite expensive. Half the price of the APO…

The lodge l8dd3 seems to be good as well.

Till then baking will be just in the APO…

Good points, those new to baking breads should learn about baker’s percentages and how to easily scale recipes up or down. Most often I bake for 2 so smaller loaves are called for, however, sometimes I am in the mood and make bread for my daughter and her family as well. If @Goshin has the APO with steam is there really a need for a dutch oven? Properly formed loaves hold their shape pretty well on just a stone.

Keeping dough in the refrigerator improves the taste of the bread. I find this along with the convenience of having fresh bread on short notice more than makes up for the small amount of electricity used. I think sometimes we can focus too much on things like electricity usage and not look at the big picture.

I’m back w a simple stupid question. I’m trying to familiarize myself to this new way of baking, since that is primarily the reason for the purchase. I decided to try the bagels. Both bakes a total failure. My question … when oven is up to temp, I open the door to put something in, after closing, the temp will drop dramatically. I would have the bagels on a timer. Times when they are in, the oven hasn’t even gotten back up to temp I set it at. When back up to temp and timer starts. I can’t count that as length of time needed to steam, as they looked darker and crust was set! I’m using this as an example as to how to manage my oven temp as far as temp drop fits into the equation for anything when oven not back up to temp for set period of time expected to use. I’m prob sound like I’m going around in circles trying to explain my issue! Help!

When I say bake, I’m referring to breads, rolls, etc, not foods in general

Up till now the steam function of the oven does not outway the need for a Dutch oven for me.
The crust and the crumb develop beter in the Dutch oven.

Maybe I’ll get it figured out one day and the need for anything other than the APO will be over…:grinning::nerd_face:

Hi again Suz, you are so brave! Bagels can be quite the challenge.

Your problem might be with the recipe. I am not familiar with steaming bagels instead of boiling them in honeyed water in the traditional Eastern European method.

Most ovens in home use have disappointing recovery times. When baking i preheat considerably above the actual baking temperature to compensate for that initial heat loss during loading. Then i reset to the recipe baking temperature. Ovens have different recovery times and that means you will have to do some temperature experimentation. It would be a great benefit to the Anova Precision Oven Nation if you would share the result of your experimentation.

You might obtain substantially improved oven performance with a baking steel as it will reduce your oven’s heat loss from the open door. I always leave my steel in the oven. It’s usually parked out of the way at the lowest rack position. Couldn’t bake without it.

Not that it ever happens to you but the steel at the bottom makes cleaning up boil overs and spills easier. How thick a sheet do you have?

Hi John, over flows are part of our lives. Most items like casseroles and pies go into the oven set over a parchment covered sheet pan.

I have a recycled piece of 3/8" boiler plate that i got the guys at a local machine shop to cut and de-burr for me. It’s beast to move though. My oven has extending cantilevered racks that save my back, an important benefit for this well seasoned cook. A 1/4" one would likely be nearly as good.

I think it might be a good idea to over shoot temp during preheating for proofing, steaming and baking, and resetting actual temp after whatever item goes into oven. The problem there is that the oven takes so long while preheating to get to temp, especially when I want something around upper 390F never mind how much I want to overshoot. It sounds like a wonderful idea to leave a steel in, which keeps oven temp from dropping dramatically. Since I had to budget the cost of the oven, my bank account needs to have a rest before I buy anything else!

Hey Suz, baking stones cost a lot less than those fancy steel plates currently being sold. You want to get the most mass for your money.
Put the baking steel in this year’s letter to Santa.

Baking stones can be kept stacked on the bottom oven rack. Oh, and don’t ever wash them no matter how grubby they become. If they absorb any water they’ll break when heated. Use parchment.

Watch for baking stones to be sale priced in your local gourmet boutiques, like Walmart, and TJ Max. If you can stretch to two, get two if you bake more than one pizza at a time.

Be careful your oven doesn’t become too hot when proofing dough.

Many ovens require long preheats. That’s why the best recipe writers make the first step setting the oven preheat temperature.

In the cooler months my home is kept quite cool as we prefer it especially at night for sleeping. During these months I have found that the oven light alone warms the oven perfectly. If I want to go slower I prop the door open with a wooden spoon to lower the temperature a few degrees. @suzstg If you buy a stone(s) for pizza also invest a few $ in a peel. It will make your life a lot easier. Also works great for breads baked on the stone.

Hi Chatnoir! I actually purchased a 1/2" steel since we last emailed. Have not had a chance to even get it into the oven, as other things have had to be made a higher priority over the past couple of weeks. When things settle, I am going to get back to experimenting w bread. Up in VT and going to a co-op where I can get some great local fresh ground flour. berries to grind in my Vitamix, along with Maple syrup from down the road!

It’s good to be so busy in these awful times. You sound pleased in anticipation of your upcoming baking successes.

Keep well.

I made very tasty bread according to this recipe: Easy Crusty French Bread (VIDEO) - Life As A Strawberry
EASY CRUSTY FRENCH BREAD (VIDEO)
The instructions might seem to be a little lengthy, but they’re all basically just notes on technique – so don’t be intimidated by the number of steps!

If in the UK use Bread Flour (Strong Flour) we do not have All Purpose Flour.
Hydration of 83% is very high.
I have not read the Method as yet, however, I have seen that the recipe can be used without scales, I would strongly recommend them.

Most recipes for yeast-based doughs like bread, cornbread mini muffins, or bagels require a warm, humid environment for the dough to rise, which helps activate the yeast and create a light, airy texture. The warm, humid environment can be provided by letting the dough rise in a warm, moist area like a proofing box or a warm oven with a bowl of hot water. Using the oven to proof can result in a crispier crust because of the heat, but it’s also possible to achieve a crispy crust through other means such as baking in a preheated cast iron skillet or using a baking stone.

It’s interesting to note the variation in proofing methods across recipes. Using the oven for proofing, like in kake recipes , could indeed contribute to achieving that desired crispy and crunchy crust. Perhaps it’s a technique worth experimenting with in other recipes as well! If anyone has any recipes to share that result in those delightful textures, I’m all ears. Let’s elevate our baking game together!