Goose sous vide

Anyone tried goose in the Anova?
What temp and how long?
Any recipes out there? Trying to get goose on the menu in the Netherlands…

I haven’t myself (and, now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve had goose since my grandparents lived on the family farm) :frowning: Should definitely look to change that!!

Whenever you can’t easily find experiences cooking something on here, Google is your friend. :slight_smile: Two quick hits I found that look promising:

Now, the first of those, I wouldn’t recommend following precisely in their footsteps, as I have a feeling most people won’t be comfortable eating rare goose. That red meat looks entirely unappetizing for me…maybe that’s a stigma that we need to get over, with having the capacity to pasteurize meats at lower temperatures, but I’ll let others lead the way with that. :slight_smile: I like my dark meat, but not bleeding.

Thanks for the pointers. I had found the first one on Google. I think I will give this one a try.
Just finding very few recipes for goose sous vide on the net made me wonder.
In Holland a lot of goose are shot or culled but not consumed. Something that happens in a lot of European countries as I have come to understand.

I haven’t tried it myself, either. Actually, never even had goose. But - maybe these two topics in the community can help a little bit:

1 Like

Hi:
I have never sous vide a goose.
When I do my Christmas goose, I prick the skin all over with a darning needle (don’t go down to the meat). After that, I pour boiling water over it. I repeat again halfway through when I turn the goose over. Maybe if you were to prick the goose front and back and then pour the boiling water over both before putting in the sous vide it might work. Maybe if you saw the bag getting grease in it, you could change it?
I hope this helps a little.

1 Like

Having cooked quite a bit of duck (but, admittedly, not goose) my advice would be to treat the breasts and legs separately. When roasted whole, the presentation is beautiful but you’re not optimizing the cooking time for either the breasts or legs.

The breasts (at least duck breasts) are perfect for sous vide, cook to an even medium rare in the water then finish the skin and render the fat in a hot skillet at the end. If you Google Kenji Lopez’s sous vide duck breast recipe, he’ll provide temps and times.

The legs/thighs I would confit - super easy and fantastic. You can do without fat via sous vide or at a low temp in the over (the legs will braise in their own fat as they cook). Look up easy duck confit for recipe ideas/specifics. If you happen to have a large quantity of duck fat handy, by all means, go the traditional method. These can be made in advance and then finished in the oven at high temp or in a skillet to crisp the skin while you finish the breasts.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I have a goose breast and some legs. Not the whole bird. Furthermore they have no skin. The goose we get are not plucked but the meat has been cut out of them.
I have made a batch this week with the slowcooker.
Came out nice but I really want to try it sous vide.
Next week I will try a breast at 135 degrees for 4 hours.
I will post the results as soon as I have them.

Happy cooking to ya all!