heavy cream question

Hello! I have a tricky question for you all.
In lots of dessert I see that the heavy cream is required but unfortunately here in Italy is pretty impossible to find the heavy cream (at least in the shop/store/online).
The best choice we have is the “panna da montare” that is the equivalent of the US light whipping cream with around 30/32% in fat.

Any suggestion about anything that can be used instead of heavy cream or a way to “add” more fat to a light cream?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, whipping cream is pretty much heavy cream and makes a good substitute for any recipes that call for it (the whipping cream I normally get is only 33%). Think they only have “heavy cream” in the UK, but I could be wrong. :slight_smile: Never seen it here in Canada.

Edit: Scratch that - just found this on google:

All cream contains at least 18 percent milk fat: “whipping cream” is made up of 30 percent, while cartons labeled “heavy cream” or “heavy whipping cream” must contain 36 percent or more.

I really doubt that extra 3-4% will really make any difference in your recipes. :slight_smile:

In the UK they have double cream with 48% butterfat. In the US heavy cream is 36 to38%butterfat. In Italy ask for Panna da montare.

In Australia the whipping cream has small amount of gelatin or similar added to stabilise the finished product.

Wow, I thought they had heavy cream everywhere ? We use a TON of it with our Keto diets.
I’d say to just use the heaviest stuff you can get.

John, if I could buy double (or triple :grinning:) cream, I wouldn’t buy anything else !

All this talk about heavy cream just made me think about my morning coffee :slightly_smiling_face: …after my SV’d pork belly and eggs, of course.

You can get double cream at Whole Foods.

Nice :slight_smile: I’ve never been in a Whole Foods, but we do actually have one here in Sacramento. Pretty close too. Might have to check it out :slight_smile:

You would love our creams here in the UK Chris as we have the following types available almost everywhere : Single cream is a richer version of milk, with around 18% fat content. You can use it for pouring or adding to coffee. Single cream will not whip and will curdle if boiled, so it can’t be a substitute in recipes that call for whipping or double cream.

Whipping cream has around a 36% fat content, which allows air to be trapped when whipped, roughly doubling the volume. Once whipped, it can be used to top desserts or fill cakes and pastries.

Double cream is the thickest with around a 48% fat content. It makes an ideal pouring cream, such as when serving with fruit, or it can be whipped and piped for decorating desserts. It can also be used to add richness and creaminess to savoury dishes. Extra thick double cream is made by heating then rapidly cooling double cream - this creates a thicker cream.

Then especially for you Chris we have the famous west country Clotted cream which has the highest fat percentage of all creams at 55%. It’s made by baking double cream until a delicious crust forms on the surface. This silky, butter-coloured cream is a speciality of Devon and Cornwall where it is served with scones, butter and jam :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not to mention the low fat creams and the range of Elmlea which is longer lasting :slight_smile:

Low-fat cream is an oxymoron.

1 Like

I agree Ember and I was going to add that I doubt that Chris would like those at all, especially as he is doing Keto so he wants fewer carbs and higher fat content.

Before the Internet baking using authentic recipes and ingredients from the UK was a real challenge. Sugars are different, heavy cream, sultanas, etc. It was also hard to get French butter which I like in my puff pastry. Now we have International grocery stores and the internet; everything is available.

It’s frequently only the names that are different, not the substances themselves. Sugars and flours it’s just naming.

Yes, French butter has a different flavour, due to the diet of the cows. I’ve found a Tasmanian butter with a similar flavour profile.

I think the brown sugars are different as well.

Muscavado is brown sugar. Dark muscavado is dark brown. One thing the Brits do have is golden caster sugar which is a fine raw sugar. One of our local producers is now making it.

i’M STARVING after reading these posts lol. I’m of to lidl for some extra thick double cream

Muscavado is close to brown sugar but it is made differently and has a subtle difference in taste.

Muscovado doesn’t get spun in a centrifuge like brown sugar This leaves more plant material in the sugar, resulting in a very strong molasses taste and a sticky consistency. Sugars labeled simply “light brown” or “dark brown” are made by adding molasses back into refined (white) sugar.

For most things they are interchangeable. For the few things I make from British recipes I use it.

1 Like

I have today come home with tub of Double cream and a tub of Extra Thick Double cream Cream cheese cheddar cheese and manchego cheese for Traeger smoked mac and cheese tomorrow. No low fat Sat here

When my Dad was growing up they used to make butter at home, and I was always curious how homemade might differ in taste from “store bought”. My great grandparents had a dairy farm so butter, milk, and some home made cheese were staples. I’d never considered that butter in France might have a significant difference in flavor! Something I’ll have to try.

Not really that much of a surprise if you think about it. The milk is flavoured by what the cow eats. Plus there’s the use of different breeds of dairy cow.

One of the independent processing dairies here (one of the very few that’s not owned by an international conglomerate) releases Jersey milk. The difference between it and the regular (mixed) varieties. I use it for my yoghurt or when I’m making ice cream.

I went through a stage of making my own butter because I had access to milk and cream direct from the dairy farm. I was also making my own cultured butter.