Ice Bath is Back!

Happy to announce that the Ice Bath feature for the Anova is back in action. Yes, it’s available for both Android and iOS Wi-Fi APC users! Shout out to the peeps who participated in using the beta - your feedback was super helpful! :sunglasses:

For more information on the ice bath feature, check out our blog post.

The blog post includes:

1. How to set up the ice bath
  2. What you need
  3. A video helpful video taking you one step at a time

Thanks!

-Alyssa

1 Like

Want a suggestion for the next version of the feature? :slight_smile:

If you haven’t heard back from the user within X minutes of the bath dipping into the “danger zone”, commence the pre-set cooking temperature of Y degrees.

The circumstance I’m thinking of - your phone is either away from you or in do not disturb mode for a prolonged period. (let’s think - movies, conferences, training sessions, etc).

You would have one of two ways of implementing this:

1. Build the logic in the Anova cloud to hold these values as broadcast by the application when the ice bath was initiated.

or

1. Build in "buddy device support’ (I suggested this previously) - where you have a device that normally stays at home and is either within Bluetooth or Wifi connectivity of the APC. (thinking a kitchen tablet) :slight_smile: That device could have another copy of the app running and signed in with the same credentials (so you know it’s entitled to manage the APC at home).

One other thought…if the food has been in the danger zone for too long, do you warn them if they go to commence the cook? (ie. They received the notification more than 2 hours ago - in most cases).

5 Likes

Thanks! This is helpful. Gonna ping the dev team this suggestion.

1 Like

Since we are throwing out some suggestions on improving the Ice Bath Notification feature, let me toss out a few. I’ve been using Ice Bath since it became available again, and I love it. It has really made my precision cooker more useful to me. Like a lot of people leave for work in the morning and come home in the evening. I certainly don’t want to have to wait two or three hours to eat dinner after I get home. The Ice Bath solved that. Before you read the three suggestions, keep in mind that I absolutely love my Anova WiFi model and can’t imagine going with out it.

Suggestion One: When setting up the Ice Bath, the circulator runs for about 5 seconds and shuts off if the water temperature isn’t under 40º F. This isn’t enough time. I overcome this by circulating the water by hand for two or three minutes using a wooden spoon.

Suggestion Two: Let’s kill that annoying beep, beep, beep that goes off every time the ice bath circulates the water. If no one is home, it’s useless and if the cook leaves and it’s going to annoy everyone else left at home.

Suggestion Three: Allow us to set a preprogrammed start time. I’ve figured out how to keep it below 40º F all day long, using the right amount of ice. How much easier would it be to set up my ice bath at 7 AM when I leave for work. Anova monitors the ice bath to make sure it doesn’t go over 40º F, then at a predesignated time, let’s say 2 PM it starts preheating, then cooks my dinner. I walk in at 6 PM, sear and eat.

6 Likes

Hey, @SouthernDad this is super helpful feedback for the team. Makes sense to me. Going to bring this feedback to our product team. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I admit, suggestion three came from one day when I forgot to start the Anova until just before I got home. Doh! The ice bath was still well below 40º F so I had not received a notification.

Actually…that’s the scheduling feature that everyone’s been asking for…for…what…years? :slight_smile:

I thought that was already on the roadmap???

1 Like

Thought provoking post. Thanks.

Here is an off the wall, perhaps impractical solution.

Get second hand fridge. Place the food in the fridge in a water bath with the Anova inserted and programmed.

Put a simple timer on the wall socket and plug the fridge into it.

Now when the fridge turns off the Anova turns on and the magic will be done by the time you are home.

My problem is where to put an extra fridge.

Ah, solved the fridge problem. There are immersion cooling coils on the market. So, as with the fridge timer, but use a cooling coil on a wall socket timer instead.

Kevin, that’s a heck of a solution. It is sort of the approach that Mellow took when they designed their sous vide precision cooker. I like your idea of incorporating cooling coils into the cooking vessel. But I think for now, the Anova with Ice Bath Notification works very well for what I am cooking. Once my Coleman Stacker cooler arrives, I’ll be all set. People will probably wonder why I have a dozen large ice blocks in my freezer but that’s my plan.

1 Like

Just an observation regarding Suggestion 3 of the original post; I don’t think the Anova has a “clock” built in. This would likely require added hardware that the units do not have at this time. While it can do a “countdown” based on an entered value, nothing I’ve seen leads me to believe they’ve included an on board clock in the design.
Can we get any feedback from an Anova Rep on this?

Thanks

1 Like

There’s very little logic in the APC itself - most of the features are in the app (including this scheduler one we keep asking for).

Me, I’d like to see them implement the scheduling function in the Anova cloud (for the wifi models) - that way if you’re out of coverage with your phone when the scheduled start time arrives, it would still kick off the cook with the message to do so coming from Anova’s infrastructure.

Also would protect you in the event that you’ve inadvertently closed the app, it abended, etc, etc.

Obviously for the bluetooth models, you could only have the scheduling feature in the app (but that’s a little problematic due to the range of bluetooth) - that’s where my “buddy device” suggestion would come in - having a local “kitchen iPad” for example.

1 Like

However, all of us are using iPhones or Android to control our Anova WiFi. Couldn’t the app, get the clock information from the iPhone then start the cook remotely?

1 Like

Can you give us more information on how to set up a “buddy device” I would love to know how to do that. I only have the Bluetooth cooker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, that’s something that the Anova developers would need to setup in the app. :slight_smile: It isn’t something that we can do ourselves…not yet anyways (hopefully they implement it!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

I am interested in what size Coleman Stacker cooler oh plan to use for ‘ice bath’ technique! Thanks for any help. Drew

The 24-Can Coleman Stacker works great for an every day ice bath cooler. One of the best things about it? The lid will fit either the 24 can or the 48 can Coleman Stacker. One lid with a hole and one without. What could be better? The 48 can cooler is great for big cooks.

Does the new app have the ice bath feature? I cant find it…

I believe the on-again/off-again ice bath feature is off-again for some reason. Not 100% certain as I no longer use the app.