Incorrect 15A plug used on Australian APO

In North America, an appliance that has a continuous load must be used with a circuit breaker that is rated at 80% of its rated current. Is that the same in Australia?

In that case, 10A would need to be used with at least 16A circuit breaker (if that even exists). Continuous load being defined as 3 hours or more and considering some people run their ovens for many many hours… I think that’s considered a continuous load appliance?

Thanks for that information Matt, seems we are doomed with this product. My next question was also going to be warranty if the plug is changed, would we need a certificate from the electrician to prove we did not do it ourselves? In a forum there was comment made about the safety of the plug adapter.

I really don’t know what to do, I am wondering if the product is worth the effort. I had a Miele steam oven which is a couple of years old for which I paid $3,500 and have not re-installed in our new kitchen pinning my hopes on the Precision Oven, now regretting my decision when I think of the steam oven sitting in storage and now not fitting the new location!!!

Guess it sounds fair if they send an adaptor and then change the whole thing over when the new ones arrive. Wonder how long it would take for the adaptor to arrive.

I keep Googling to try and find comments as to whether people think the Precision Oven is a “must have” gadget but not finding any comments.

Thank you for passing on that information Matt, just notice I have received that e-mail now as well.

Would love to hear comments as to whether it is worth persevering or better to give up!

Thanks again, Jennifer

1 Like

I have purchased the Ampfibian adaptor from Bunnings with the built in safety switch. It’s made in Australia and a quality product. I have powered up the oven and done the burn in for the elements. I’m yet to cook anything.

Annnd I’m going to return it for a refund.

1. the plug issue
  2. it constantly disconnects from wifi
  3. it leaks.

This is so frustrating. But I’m done.

Hi Jennie1

I have one of the answers I wanted. I will paste from the email I got from ANOVA

From ANOVA

I will reimburse you for the adapter you’ve already purchased. Please fill out the form here if you’d like to be put on the list for a replacement oven. Select the last option. https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058403932

I assure you your adapter will not void the warranty, I can guarantee that for you. Here’s an FAQ with more context for the issue: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059099331

The adapter I bought, but haven’t used yet, was the AMPFIBIAN from Bunnings. It cost $AU89.95 (with delivery) but after the warning on here from a poster I was scared to use it. Now I read that Kaboomaboomer got the same product but still has dissatisfaction with the oven. Kaboom seemed to have success with the adapter though. Kaboom?

Matt

1 Like

Matt, I opted for Anova to send me an adaptor and then change the oven over for the correct Australian model.

I can understand the adaptor could not void the warranty as the original plug would still be in place but what about if people change (or have an electrician change) the plug for an Australian plug? Jennie

1 Like

Hi Jennie1

The email I got also had this so I assume it would void warranty if the plug was changed. There is more about it on the FAQ about the issue

From ANOVA

We won’t reimburse electrician costs because we have no way of certifying or testing that what each individual electrician does won’t potentially cause unintentional issues with the oven.

Matt

The adaptor worked fine. It was when I then tried to use the oven that I hit the connectivity issues / leaking water.

1 Like

The saga continues.

After assurances from Kaboom, a few others and from ANOVA themselves that the Ampfibian adaptor was safe and would not void the warranty I finally went through the setup process only to find the over has a tap (faucet for the Americans) inside it. The water tank was NOT overfilled. The over was NOT even on.

I have sent pics and videos of the leak to ANOVA. More than likely a futile thing to do.

Hi Matt, my Aussie oven had the same issue - water overflowing out of the wet bulb sensor in the corner. Support has identified it as a fault and will send a replacement - been a couple of days, but I’m assuming they’ll come through!

I think this will ultimately be a good case study in customer service - the fact that they haven’t explicitly apologised or admitted the plug was a screw up is unfortunate (as well as equivocating with words like “may not be compatible” and “we’re receiving reports” and “may not work”). I think most of us want to hear that our pain is their pain - I suspect, however, that Anova is in the uncanny valley of being too big to freely apologise but too small to, you know, freely apologise.

I did receive confirmation that the 100 day money-back guarantee won’t start until we have a working oven & plug

Well DrJoel

I have been in dialogue with ANOVA since the oven arrived on March 23rd 2021. Just today, after I sent them more pics and videos, I received this advice. Pretty much told me to throw the oven away.

I 100% agree with you about the Customer Supports penchant for throwing corporate psychobabble at me with actually apologising.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for sending that over. The first video of the puddle is a bit alarming, I’ll be sending you a replacement oven.

As for the other videos, some water is expected to be on the bottom heating element. It is a boiler plate that recycles water in the cavity to keep the oven at 100% relative humidity. Also, water is supposed to vent from the bottom right where you were showing. Totally normal.

I’ll get a replacement sent over to you, you’ll receive an email with tracking when it ships out. In the meantime, if you could dispose of the oven at a local e-waste/e-recycling facility that’d be greatly appreciated.

Matt, wondering how you are going with your Anova Precision Oven and whether you have set it up.

I still have not received the adaptor so I have not bothered to even unpack. I did send an e-mail to Anova asking what is happening with the adaptors and the reply was they are about to send them out and we would receive an e-mail when they do so. I also asked if they were on track for the correct oven to be available in mid May as, if that is the case, it doesn’t seem worth opening the one I have, but they apparently do not have a specific date. Jen

Received the plug yesterday and have the oven up and running.

I opted the same as you.

I had borrowed an adapter from a friend and love the oven.

I opened my adapter today to find I have been shipped a US to Aus plug adapter. I hope you don’t get disappointed the same as me.

It’s a big customer service fail.

My adaptor finally arrived and amid confusion of renovations I have installed the Anova Precision Oven. Hate to admit my cooking inadequacies at the moment due to frustration of eight months without a proper kitchen but I did muster up the energy intending to cook salmon and chips for my first effort. Did wonder how to cook both together so ended up pan searing the salmon and just cooked the chips which, I must say, were great. Now just need to master cooking a couple of items at the same time!

I have no idea where ANOVA are up to. When they wrote back to me in response to me sending videos of the leaks They said to dispose of the oven and that they would replace. I have heard nothing since their email I posted. I’m not going to use the oven as it is. The fact ANOVA was “concerned” about the extent of the leaks tells me the thing is dangerous for me to use.

Oh that sounds a worry. Guess it is an appliance we need to keep an eye on when in use till we feel it is functioning correctly. My adaptor turned up the other day and when I tried it there was steam coming from the bottom right-hand corner so will need to keep an eye on that as, at the time, I did think it was a sealed unit.

Hope your new oven turns up before too long and it is correct for Australia without needing the adaptor. I sometimes wish I wasn’t a “must have gadgets” person.

Our adapter came in a few days ago. Not impressed. Just a travel adapter. No fuse. Will be happy when the new machine arrives.

So far, only done the burn in. I was surprised when using the timer, it does not turn itself off.

I guess, I should use it for real, and see if it leaks.

Same thing here. We got the same email. In the meantime, everyone should give a 1 star review. I tried that yesterday before I registered, it disappeared. I’ll try again.