New APC cannot connect to iPhone

I am still having problems With first time connection of my newly bought unit. I am using app version 3.2.14 and iPhone IOS 14.2. I have turned off 5ghz network and moved unit within 5’ of router. I have been trying to connect using the 3rd option “The New Anova Precison Cooker” vs the first option “Precision Cooker Bluetooth or WiFi.” I can connect to the cooker via WiFi, but I cannot get the cooker via WiFi to connect to the home network. I get the message saying the password s wrong or 2.4ghz is unavailable. (Both are untrue) I am worried because I gave this as a gift to 3 other families who are not as techie as I am.

Should I be using the first connection choice instead? Should Bluetooth be on or off for this process? How does one know the firmware and model on one’s unit? Any other suggestions?

Yes, you have to have bluetooth on, on your phone to do your setup (the initial pairing with the APC that supports bluetooth and wifi is over bluetooth).

Just use the defaults. Let the setup do its thing. The only reason I didn’t let it do the wifi setup the first time through was to make sure that the bluetooth connectivity was functioning as it should in this version.

And, again, you don’t need to have the 5GHz network turned off - they’re not using the older method of connecting - which was to use whatever network your iPhone was connected to…now you enter your information - you should be prompted for your network name (SSID) and network password.

The APC has a 2.4GHz wifi radio. If you ARE using different SSID names for your 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands, then use the one for 2.4GHz. (but, the standards most are using are to have the two networks use the same SSID - let your wifi devices select whichever network has the better signal strength). They’ll prefer 5GHz if in range, as it supports faster throughput.

The APC only supports 802.11 b/g/n, it doesn’t support 802.11ac (Which was rebranded as Wifi 5), nor the newest Wifi 6 standards.

How do I know if I have the Bluetooth+WiFi model or WiFi Only model?

Is your Anova cooker black (top) and silver (bottom) or all black?

All black is the APC Nano and it is Bluetooth only.

The black and silver models are either the APC (round display) or the APC Pro (square display), which are Wi-Fi and do not require Bluetooth.

It depends which revision of APC you’re talking about - the new revision (2019) may not actually have a bluetooth radio in it:

The older revisions of the APC and Pro both did their initial pairing via software over bluetooth, then did the wifi setup next.

It’s possible the new revision may still have a bluetooth radio, but there’s nothing posted on the product page stating that it does, so they may actually be using a different communications chip in this one (but, the fact that it’s still limited to the old Wifi standards makes me think they are still using the old one :slight_smile: - the newest APC still only supports 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4GHz.)

My just purchased APC will connect via my 5th Gen iPad, but won’t with my iPhone 12 Pro. Annoying, but not as annoying as the “swarm of mosquitos” whine this thing makes.

Hmm. No idea if they ever fixed the “single device” issue. Wifi APC’s have a cloud connection. Anova only allowed control from a single device. If that’s still true, pick one.

I tried first with the iPhone with no success. Then got it to work with the iPad. I can use the ipad, but would prefer using the iPhone. Although this functionality isn’t particularly useful, my better half did pay extra for something that Anova should make work.

Do you have bluetooth enabled on your phone? Which pairing is failing? (the initial connection is over bluetooth, then you’re prompted to do the wifi setup) - at least on the prior versions of the APC (this isn’t the first time that Anova’s tech specs may be lacking in their published documentation).
I’m running their latest app (3.2.14) on the current public iOS beta 14.4.

You have to grab the user guide and reset the APC back to factory defaults and do the setup with your iPhone again (provided they still only support 1 device controlling it). If that’s the case you will not be able to control it with your iPhone so long as the APC sees the iPad as its controller.

Might be worth looking at the some of the support docs (though which are relevant to the new model?) - you could also try contacting support. (top of page).

The wifi troubleshooting docs are here (though many refer to older configurations):

I have same problem, tried every recomended suport couple times and still nothing

Then you should contact support - see the option at the top of the page? This community is Anova customers only - Anova staff / support don’t frequent these forums (only their forum moderators).