New app is garbage

I don’t want my food in the bath 30% longer than the total cooking time, I want a notification that the bath has come to temp, & can put the food in then. You know, like the app has ALWAYS worked!

Are you using Android or iOS? What exactly are the details of the issue you’re seeing?

Agree. Since my purchase in late 2017 (wifi, IOS), every new app iteration decreases functionality.

1. Preheat countdown works poorly and usually begins timer countdown before desired temp met. So then you need to go in and redo the actual timer as it is minutes ahead of where it should be. Perhaps not an issue if cooking for 24 hour period, but for something small at (say) 40-50 minutes, 3-5 minutes is enough.
  2. No beep notification when preheating is complete and food ready to be added.
  3. Unit display used to flip between temp and remaining time. Now remains on temp, so need to go into app if I want to see time remaining. Less useful when working in kitchen next to the unit (and then need to wipe hands, grab phone, just to see timer).
  4. No beep notification when timer finished and food ready.
    Perhaps a problem with my unit, but all 4 items worked very well before the recent app “updates.” It is a good product and is well-used, but hard to recommend given the app’s poor functionality.

The old app is crap as well. They either have no clue or don’t care.

The app is a solution in search of a problem. As is the bluetooth and internet connectivity.

Do yourself a favour and use the device sensibly:

• Dial up the temperature you want using the scroll wheel.
  • Wait until the target temperature is reached.
  • Drop in the food.
  • Set an alarm on your iPhone, or kitchen timer, or ask your wife to remind you when it’s time to take the food out.

Done. There is nothing to fail, you don’t need a router, or some server in a continent far away to work correctly, or a phone, for that matter.

I is really simple: if you put something on the stove, you need to remember to turn off the stove at the right time. Why would it be any different for the Anova? Why would it need to be any different?

1 Like

Why would it need to be different? Because it has the possibility to be different, and has been different in the past. Hey, if my stove could turn itself off when the food is done, that would be great! Thinking about it, I realize that it actually CAN do that. I’m guessing many of us don’t like the recent changes in functionality of both the app and the APC itself, because these things used to work. We used to be able to set a timer and could rely on that timer being accurate. And we used to be able to let the device or app notify us when the timer was done. But this doesn’t work anymore, since the app and hardware seem to be full of bugs and new bugs pop up everytime the app is updated…

The first post underneath yours lists most of the issues I have with the app, letting the app keep track of time has to be bulletproof & is NOWHERE near that! I just started a cook, it was preheating, lost connection, & when it reconnected decided it was time to start the cook countdown even though it was at least 10 degrees shy of the mark. Unacceptable