Repeating errors beeps shut off issue?

Third time using my new anova, after about a half hour at 84(vegetables) unit started temp fluctuations, and lots of beeping. When I looked at unit it had switched front C to F somehow and would not shut off, touch button was unresponsive. So unplug reset try again, fine for maybe 15 mins then the same thing. Try to reset again now nothing, unit is lit up but button won’t start it up at all? Quick look here and see some similar issues but not the same.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

@bcain13‌ Checking into this issue for you. Thank you so much and I will be back in touch with news at the soonest.

I experienced exactly this issue yesterday. I set the unit to 184F attached to a reservoir with no lid. It reached temp and I put the my vacuum sealed veggies in. After about the same amount of time, I heard crazy and erratic beeping, so i checked it out. It had also switched from F to C and the start button was unresponsive. I tried several things over the next 30 minutes or so, but the only thing that brought it back was letting it totally dry out. I saw lots and lots of water near the vent slots on the unit and near the scroll wheel, and steam was hitting those spots directly.

I tried the same temp today but made a guard out of foil and put it around the unit, allowing plenty of airflow but directing steam out instead of directly up toward the unit. The cook went for several hours and was uneventful.

I believe that when running a high-temp bath, the volume of steam hits the unit water builds up in the unit. I would have hoped that it would be designed to handle this. It’s possible it’s a rare issue.

I really, really hope I don’t have to makeshift a foil skirt for the precision cooker every time I cook veg.

Any word on this one?

Thank you,
joe

@bcain13‌ I just spoke with one of our engineers - did you try covering the bath to prevent steam from blowing on the unit ? Please do a cook run giving this a try and let us know what happens. Should you still have ssues, we will definitely switch out your unit for a new one ! Thanks !

@joenajera‌ Steam blowing at the unit is generally not a huge issue, but in your cook usage case it sounds like it is best to cover the bath to prevent too much steam hitting your unit. Alternatively, maybe you could try a different pot or cooking reservoir and let us know how that goes ! thanks !

Hi I got the same issue when I try to cook for more than several hours in a relatively high temperature.

Based on my observation, it’s a design flaw of the product.
There is a gap between the touch panel and the protection glass. If the user use the product cooking for more than several hours in a relatively high temperature. The water vapor condenses into water drops under the protection glass, the water drops keeps pushing the touch panel, which caused the beeping and the changing mode.

SOLUTION: Put the unit into a bag of rice, the rice will extract the water out of the unit.
It works for me. Hope they will fix the design in the future.

@joenajera‌ @bcain13

@nvaughn‌ There are several posts about the same issue, I think you guys should put up notice for this issue.

@joenajera‌ Steam blowing at the unit is generally not a huge issue, but in your cook usage case it sounds like it is best to cover the bath to prevent too much steam hitting your unit. Alternatively, maybe you could try a different pot or cooking reservoir and let us know how that goes ! thanks !

It happens every time I cook anything above 180 or so. I’m working on shaping a skirt or something to direct steam away from the vents.

@joenajera Let us know how it goes, we’d love to hear more about it!

I just got my precision cooker this week (beauuuuty) and today I cooked some carrots and ice cream at 85 Celsius. About an hour into the cook the unit started to beep (3 beeps) at times and temperature became a bit more erratic, cycling between 84 C and 86 C until after some 10 minutes since this started the machine suddenly kept beeping and read temperature said 206.9 Celsius (!!!). I pressed play/start and the beeping stopped but reading remained the same… I unplugged waited a couple of minutes, re-plugged, temperature still read 206.9 C and when switched to F indeed showed 404.4 F… That’s HIGH… The unit did not feel extremely hot so I gathered it was an electronic error, unplugged and after reading the above drying out suggestion, I got out my hairdryer and gave it a nice blowdry into the vent slots… The system finely reset itself. I, too made it a little foil skirt, directing the steam away and put it back into the water and back on 85 C… when it reached this temperature more or less it sounded its three beeps again. I dialled it down to 84 C and since then it has been stable at this temperature and hasn’t beeped again. This was about 45 minutes ago… So to me… it sounds possibly like a temperature thing since there was no steam getting to the upper part of the unit anymore… Even though that doesn’t explain the fact that drying the inside of the unit with the air of the hairdryer resulted in a reset… Will you be able to address this with the app? and no… I will not ask about a release date… O:-)

Little update… after writing the above I went back to the kitchen (where APC resides) and just for the sake of it decided to put it on 85 C again… to see what, if anything would happen… 1 minute after change beep beep beep… so I dialled it back down to 84 C since I really can’t have it play up anymore for now… There’s a diner party to be cooked! I may experiment more with this… or not… don’t want my unit to blow up…

pippi - thanks for the sharing of problem…any further updates or answers from anova?