Searing Venison Roast with Convection Brolier?

I’d like to try searing/browning my next 4 to 5 lb. rolled moose roast in my oven under the broiler. I cooked my first one at 132F for about 8 hours and it was cooked beautifully, but searing in a pan was a bit tricky and a little messy because I didn’t know I should dry it first.

• Should I use the convection setting?
  • Should I “sear” at 450F?
  • Should I dry and salt/pepper first?
  • Should I brush with butter before adding salt/pepper?
  • Should I use a broiling/roasting rack?
  • Will I need to flip/roll it over after a few minutes?

I don’t have the oven but you definitely want to dry the meat thoroughly before searing. This is always a critical first step. The roast will heat up less internally and the Maillard reaction will start sooner. I think conventional searing in a cast iron pan may be the way to go since you will need to move the meat to get everything seared.

When I am doing a roast or oddly shaped steak I will use a torch to get the spots the pan misses while another part is searing.

I’ve just started using my convection toaster oven to sear off large chunks of meat. I’ve recently done 3lb (1.4kg) top round and a 5lb (2.25kg) sirloin tip roasts. Did all the ‘usual’:

Opened the package, dried off the meat, lightly salted w/kosher salt, let sit in the fridge for about 4hrs on an open tray w/rack.

Vacuum sealed with a clove of garlic, thinly sliced and some dried rosemary and a splash of Extra Virgin Olive oil. I find a small amount of oil/ghee helps heat transfer into nooks and crannies in the meat, maybe a tablespoon.

Drop into a 133F/56C tub for 20hrs give or take (at those times who needs precision?)

The top round roast was decanted, dried off, put on a tray w/rack and popped into a 450F/230C toaster oven with convection running. Left it in for 10 minutes and result was, basically, satisfactory but not ideal.

The sirloin tip roast was decanted, dried off, very lightly oiled with avocado oil (high smoke point, and I was out of ghee) and convection roasted, in the toaster oven, for about 15 minutes to a very satisfactory result.

In both cases the bag juices were captured and used to make gravy…

Experiments continue!

My tabletop oven has an air fry feature that may be interesting to try at its highest setting and high convection.

Your wrote “The sirloin tip roast was decanted, dried off, very lightly oiled with avocado oil (high smoke point, and I was out of ghee) and convection roasted, in the toaster oven, for about 15 minutes to a very satisfactory result. In both cases the bag juices were captured and used to make gravy…”

Thanks for the details - they all add up. Very helpful. I captured the bag juices too - great minds haha!

Thanks, I’ll have to think about getting a searing torch. My buddy has one and uses it a lot. I was thinking of using my standard GE oven, but I have one of those air/fry toaster/convection ovens too - good idea!