Should we bring back tags in the community?

We used to have set tags in here (think of them as sub-categories). But they were cleaned out because they were totally misused and they become more of a nuisance than a help.

However, I am thinking maybe it might be helpful to have them back again. And I’ll just do my best to regularly reorganize them when they misused. What do you guys think? Should we bring them back?

If you want tags, let me know in the comments what kind of tags you think is important to have in each of our categories (First Cook Essentials, Recipe Share, Food + Cooking, Community Support, General, Announcements).

Here’s an example:
Recipe Share --> Beef, Chicken, Desserts, Side Dishes, etc.

Keep in mind that Ideally, I’d keep the tags general enough so there aren’t a bunch of them floating around.

SHOULD WE BRING BACK TAGS?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Best to keep things simple like type of product (beef, lamb, fish, etc), cut of product (rib steak, chuck, rump roast, whole fish, etc), course (dessert, side dish, etc) and things like ‘tip’ and ‘suggestion’… Perhaps a ‘quick cook’ and a ‘slow cook’ might also be useful. Really obvious divisions should make it easier for folk to use them.

1 Like

Just realized my title was totally wrong. My bad.

Tag would be excellent as long as you are there as moderator to keep thing appropriately…well…“tagged”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What will be done to keep it from being the mess it became?

I’ll regularly edit the tags, as I currently do with categories.

Hi Alyssa, from my experience (on other forums) Categories and Tags are useful until they’re not useful. LOL Sorry couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:
Seriously, tags are useful to keep topics organized, and provide faster user access to relevant content. As you observed in the previous implementation, it breaks down when tags are misused or over used. limiting tag creation to moderators helps, as well as not “auto-generating” tags from content. In my experience, that’s where you get too many useless tags. Computer learning (AI) just isn’t there (yet).
I say “go for it”, if you’re willing to clean up the nuisance/misused categories. Besides, what’s the worst that can happen? They become a nuisance (again), and you clean them out (again). :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries. All opinions are welcome regarding this question.

I suspect that the tags will be more trouble than they are worth. Besides, Google does a good job at ferreting things out for you:

site:community.anovaculinary.com My query goes here

The site: prefix instructs Google to only look here, not the web in general.