The Anova is a fabulous yogurt maker

I have a large deep pot that I use for my Sous Vide cooking. I have found that it will hold 4 quart-size bottles along with the Anova. I preheat 2% milk in a pyrex container to 180 degrees (F) in the microwave (6 cups takes about 12 minutes), then cool to 115 degrees in) a sink of cold tap water. Then I add a 6 oz container of plain live yogurt culture (for the 1st batch, after which you can use the whey to start the subsequent batches). I pour the milk into clean quart jars, and put the lids on loosely. I set the Anova to 110 degrees F, with enough water to come to the level of the milk in the jars. I set the timer for 6 hours, and then enjoy the most delicious yogurt imaginable. I pour the yogurt into a greek yogurt maker which has a fine screen to allow the liquid (whey) to drain out the bottom and thicken the yogurt for 6-8 hours in the refrigerator. I use the whey (1/2 cup per 6 cups milk) to start the next batch. In this manner, I can make up to a gallon of yogurt at a time, and it comes out creamy, smooth and delicious. Another great use for the Anova!

3 Likes

Sounds easy and fun.

Do you use it plain or add flavoring? How long is it normally good for once refrigerated?

Once it is done you can add flavors, jam,syrups, etc. We love lemon curd and mangoes combined. Lasts 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Yes it sure is !
I used my Anova for the first time making yogurt last night and it came out creamier than just using the yogotherm. Usually My Y2 culture only needs 4 hours to set but I thought the timer function on the anova would turn it off ! Nooo , but even after 6 hours it was still sweet. The culture’s get more tart the longer they work but the yogurt loves the steady temp it seems.

I make Yogurt all the time, 4 jars at a time. We normally just take the frozen fruit in a separate container and let it thaw over night and mix with Yogurt in the morning. we sometimes like to mix it up and add granola. The one nice thing about that is it lets you control the mount of sugar you are getting when you eat yogurt, it allow allows you to eat yogurt without those nasty fillings (corn starch) that most makers put in the yogurts.

1 Like

I have had it in the fridge for a couple of weeks without any issues. But I use wide mouth canning jars to hold my yogurt. Works very well.

Other than undesirable moulds turning it into a science experiment, there’s really no worry about yoghurt going off. I mean, it’s already off. :wink:

1 Like

I just tried the microwave method for the 180 degree heating last night. Much less trouble than heating it on the stove top. I’m sold on that technique. I read a comment on another forum saying that the microwave kills all the nutrition in milk. I thought that sounded a little silly. Heat itself kills a lot of stuff. But, a microwave isn’t going to render milk void of nutrition. Anyway, I digress. I’ve tried heating it on the stovetop to 180 and I’ve tried heating it with the Anova to that temp and this method is infinitely easier and less messy and certainly less time consuming. I put the jar in the water bath over night. Usually, when I heat the milk on the stove top to 180 it only takes about 3 or 4 hours to set up at 110 in the water. That clearly wasn’t happening when I checked it before bed so I just let it go all night. Put it the jar in the fridge this morning. Looked nice and firm, though I didn’t stir it. I’ll drain it when I get home from work.

I also tried skipping the 180 degree heating completely since I’m using pasteurized milk to begin with. I mean, it’s already been heated during pasteurization, right? I heated it to 110 and added the culture.I use a heavy tablespoon of yogurt starter per one quart jar mixed with a little milk from the jar to smooth it out. I let the jar go for about 12 hours (5 in the evening until about 5 in the morning). It turned out to be about the consistency of a milk shake. I let it sit all day in the fridge while I was at work and then strained it over the next night. Luckily, after I strained it using a Euro Cuisine Greek-Style yogurt strainer (I love this strainer, by the way, though it’s overpriced in my opinion) the yogurt is the perfect consistency for me. So, I may just start skipping the 180 degree heating. It certainly makes the process practically effortless!