Timer Function on the Anova Precision Cooker

Hey! So sorry that happened I will send this feedback to the app team. Just to make sure I have it right once the low water alarm went off your timer which you had started before reset and then your device was no longer reading the correct temperature?

The incorrect temp readings sound slike it may have been from steam getting into the head of your unit. Was your bath covered? If so, make sure there is a small hole for steam to escape away from the head of the unit.

Let your device try out in a bag of rice, this should absorb any extra moisture.

Let me know if that helps or if you need anything else!

Honestly the first time I used the timer function I thought it would TURN OFF the Anova after the time set. Which is what I wanted as I was making yogurt and had left the bucket in freezing garage to cool after timer was done. If the timer function does NOT do that then for all intents and porpoises, it has no function so it should be hard to use. :wink:
As it is so difficult to overcook anything with this device just a timer seems redundant.
Can the Android app turn it auto off? That would be plenty useful.
Thanks

1 Like

Hunter,
You are correct and NO the pot I was using was not covered.
Not sure what all the gurgling was as it was working. This only started after I reset the low water issue the first time. I seems after that it all went down hill.
The unit has been dry so I will give it a go next week once again.
Thanks

Tom Marino

I just want to clarify that if the connected phone can set the timer and the cooker can be stop by itself once the timer reaches the desired time? If not, the phone is merely just a monitor tool with a manual on and off button.

1 Like

the cooker keeps running until you or something else intervenes. i think this is probably to keep unsupervised food out of the ā€œdanger zoneā€ temperature range.

Hi Walter, I really donā€™t see the point of not giving the option of full automation as I can still use the phone to set the timer (just figured out how to) and stop it manually. All these can be done in distance without looking at the cooking process.

1 Like

fair enough. iā€™m unbothered by it.

No one would have been watching it for 12 hours until the cooking was completed. When the timer expires, the unit must be turned off.
I always set up the device before sleeping, and it is very annoying to turn off the unit in a timely manner.

I wonder why this machine is so programmed. Is there any other purpose I did not understand?

Ugh! Just found this stringā€¦ wish I had seen it earlier. So itā€™s true, I guess. When I lose the Bluetooth connection to the Sous Vide, the timer is lost. It does NOT continue on its own on the device!?! That, in a word, stinks!

I went upstairs today, since the Sous Vide was going to sit for ~90 minutes or more. For 1 minute or less, I lost the connectionā€¦ and when it came back (and when I finally noticed), the timer was ā€œoffā€. Good thing I remembered the time I dropped the steak in, else I would have lost dinner for everyone!

2 Likes

It does continue on the APC. However, if the bluetooth reconnects it will override the APCā€™s existing timer and reset to the beginning.

Thanksā€¦ I guess. That really stinks. Makes buying the Bluetooth version instead of the Wifi version a waste. If I canā€™t even walk around the house without losing the connection (and resetting the timer when I walk back into the kitchen), I may as well NOT USE THE APP!

Anova! Can we please get this fixed?!?

2 Likes

Hey @eli104 Iā€™ll forward this feedback to the rest of the team!

Salve ho letto ciĆ² che ha scritto e ho provato ma ho visto che non mi da nessun risultato

Hey Pio - if the instructions above arenā€™t helpful, we also have a video that can help with setting up the timer
https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/204124344-How-do-I-start-the-timer-on-the-Precision-Cooker-

I found that the easiest way to deal with the timer is to not use it. Just set the temperature and turn on the cooker. I use an alarm on my iPhone to let me know when itā€™s time to turn the cooker off.

This works every time, is reliable, doesnā€™t require bluetooth to work all the time (which it often does not), etc. Substitute your favourite alarm clock or kitchen timer if you donā€™t like the iPhone alarm idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Eli! If you are on an iOS device we now have a remote timer function for Bluetooth cooking. Update your app to see the changes! and let us know if you have feedback!

Iā€™m afraid last nightā€™s effort was the absolute end of trying to use the timer function for me. It reset the cook time 3 times upon reconnecting to Anova. Thatā€™s a problem when you have a time delicate cook on the go like eggs or fish.

The timer function on the Anova is botched. Accept it, and move on. Use a kitchen timer, an alarm clock, or your phone to tell you when cooking is done. That works, and doesnā€™t suffer from all the unreliability problems of the Anova. No need for Bluetooth, no need for Wifi with a password that meets certain arbitrary criteria, no need for a phone that has a battery with some juice, and no need to be in range of whatever Bluetooth or Wifi deem acceptable. And no need to press and hold a button for eight seconds in order to set a timer while unintentionally changing the temperature unit.

That way, you wonā€™t annoy anyone else eitherā€¦ I had a 48-hour cook going last week. Brisket. Fine anywhere between 36 and 60+ hours, so timing definitely isnā€™t a critical factor. I had the pot with the Anova on my deck outside. Two days later, the cook was ready, but I was delayed in town on business. Eventually, when I got home, I heard the Anova before I had even unlocked the front door. It was sitting there, beeping every few seconds. Not only was I not there to hear, but all my neighbours were there to hear. For an hour and a half until I finally got home. Iā€™m sure I was really popular with my neighbours that dayā€¦

Whoever wrote the code for this thing is clueless, has never used the device in a real-world scenario, and has never learned even the most basic insights of design.

Hello Anova programming team!

Iā€™d like to let you know that the Anova is not the one most important thing in my house. Iā€™d like to let you know that beeping at me incessantly forever is not acceptable. Iā€™d like you to know that, if Iā€™m sitting there in the middle of a phone conversation or holding my grandmotherā€™s hand while she is on her death bed is more important to me than a piece of brisket than can keep cooking for another hour or five. Iā€™d like you to know that your applianceā€™s need to let me know about the brisket is well and truly secondary to other things in my life.

Iā€™d like you to know that Iā€™m capable of turning my cooker off myself at the correct time, without it beeping at me even once. Iā€™d like you to know that I really donā€™t like being beeped at without having given prior consent. Iā€™d like you to know that beeping at me until, finally, there is a blackout in my area is something I do not appreciate.

Iā€™d like you to know that your appliance is only one of twenty or more in my home. Fortunately, only a few of those beep at me; otherwise, I would have committed suicide long ago.

Iā€™d like you to know that thinking that you have the right to beep at me as many times as you like, in perpetuity, is arrogant. Iā€™d like you to know that anyone with a half-decent degree in design or computer science will have learned all of the above as a matter or course.

So, my advice is to toss the timer, use any alarm clock you have handy, and move on. The Anova does a really good job at keeping water at a set temperature. At anything else, it does a really poor job. Ergo, use it for what itā€™s good for, and ignore what it isnā€™t good for. That way, youā€™ll have an appliance that is usable.

Michi.

3 Likes

The thing is if youā€™re setting the temperature direct from an app recipe it sets the timer too and you canā€™t unset it, without stopping the cook and resetting the timer to zero. You need to be able to take only temperature or temperature and time from a recipe in the app.

I usually use a Tristick timer, because Iā€™ve frequently got more going on than just a cook with the APC.

Just joined the community, and have not used my bluetooth APC for a while. I thought I was having a stupid attack when trying to get my unit to program correctly. It sure took the shine off of my new toy when I encountered the awful user interface. This thread has been very helpful. But I donā€™t think I will recommend this brand to any other folks because of the difficulty in using.

2 Likes