Torch for Searing

Was looking at torches and trying to compare the Benzomatic TS8000 and the Sansaire torch made by Benzomatic also. I just want the torch, don’t really care about the kit on the Sansaire. Has anyone used
both of these so they can do a direct comparison? Benzomatic also makes a torch model BZ4500HS. The tip of this torch looks exactly like the Sansaire and I am wondering if it is the same. Any input would be appreciated

Thanks,

George

The BZ4500HS is identical to the Sansaire. The Sansaire is rebadged from that.

I own and prefer the BZ4500HS to the TS8000 because the BZ4500HS has a wider flame. Makes it easier to spread the heat.

Thanks for the feedback, I did a little more research and that was what it looked like to me. Do you use MAP or Propane?

I use MAP, based on a recommendation in Modernist Cuisine. Lots of people use propane, which seems to work just fine too. MAP burns a little bit hotter.

Hi

Very slightly off topic, but somewhat relevant I hope. What are the pros and cons of using a torch vs. a hot frying pan for searing?

Cheers

Mike

Only pro I can think of is that it looks flashy, but I like thinks safe and simple.

I’ve started using a little of both. Last steak I cooked I used my cast iron per usual, but I hit those spots that looked like they could use a little “extra” with a quick sear from the torch while the steak was in the pan. Seamed to work well. I’ve always been pretty happy with just the pan but I’m open for improvement where I can find it. (When the weather is decent I prefer the charcoal chimney. :slight_smile: )

No pan to pre-heat and to wash up afterwards. I just toss my steaks on the outside BBQ grill when they are ready, torch away, and that’s that.

Ditto here except I use my flamethrower all year long–sunshine, rain, or snow! $20 at Harbor Freight
Tried uploading pic but it was taking forever… The flamethrower is a propane-based weed killer.

A pro for the cast iron skillet is the fond that remains to be deglazed as the beginning of a great sauce. No fond with a torch.

You can pour the juices from the sous vide bag into a pot and there is your fond for reduction or flavour, before torching.

Residual juices can be a valuable addition to sauces, but I don’t think of them as fond because they lack the intense additional flavor from the Maillard reaction. Exploring uses for the liquid that remains in a sous vide bag would be an interesting topic in its own right.

The maillard reaction happens when sear, it affects the taste of the meat in the mouth.
The residue from pan searing may be of benifit, however, in my experience the addition of burnt bits from the high heat of the frying pan adds a bitter, unwanted, taste to the dish.

I agree about the burnt bits but I found a way to get around it. E.G. I made a rib eye (and sous vide lobster tail) for valentines day. Instead of using maximum high temperature I cut it back to about 3/4 (12000 BTU burner) and use avacado oil. It is a neutral taste oil has the highest smoke point of all oils https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points. I then wait until the oil just begins to smoke and sear it for 30 seconds flipping it 3 times for a total of 2 minutes. I torch any less-seared areas while it is face up. I’m left with a nice fond and no burned bits. I then proceed to make the sauce.

Here is a primer on making a pan saucehttps://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5551-pan-sauces-101 basic pan sauce and Pan-Seared Steak with Red Wine Pan Sauce for Two | Cook's Illustrated Recipe that is similar to what I used. I add the liquid left in the sous vide bag to whatever liquid is being used.

I cooked cooked both the steak and lobster tail at 130 degrees putting the lobster tails in about 15 minutes before starting the steak sear for a total of 30 minutes. I added a few tbsps of butter to the bag with the tails so no dipping butter or searing required. It was delicious and one of the best surf and turf I’ve had at at least 50% or more (depends on price of wine used if any) of restaurant prices with no waiting for your table. Sous Vide rules!