Cooking Torch

Good Morning,

I’m going to cook lamb for a family holiday dinner. I want to torch the outside when it’s done and not sure what is the best thing to use. Home Depot has a good sale, and I see stuff on Amazon but i’m not sure what the best one is.

I don’t think I want a Creme Brûlée torch cause it’s too small. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

My vote’s for the Searzall.  It isn’t super-quick, but great results!!

Searzall — Booker and Dax

Get the Bernzomatic TS-8000 torch to go with it (and do NOT use the MAP gas canister that comes with the torch).  The tanks of “camp gas” (coleman propane cylinders) is what you need for stability.  Make sure you follow their initial seasoning / burn-in instructions to the letter.

@fischersd said:
My vote’s for the Searzall.  It isn’t super-quick, but great results!!

Get the Bernzomatic TS-8000 torch to go with it (and do NOT use the MAP gas canister that comes with the torch).  The tanks of “camp gas” (coleman propane cylinders) is what you need for stability.  Make sure you follow their initial seasoning / burn-in instructions to the letter.

Hey fischersd, I’m interested in your recommendations. Seems like you’ve got lots of experience with sous vide. I’ve used MAP gas, but is it bad for your health? It isn’t as consistent of a flame as propane. It burns at a higher temp and that’s why I used it. In addition my MAP torch head has a larger flame (not a pencil tip). Have you, or anyone, used the Bernzomatic Flame Spreader? Really curious about your thoughts. Thanks.

@tthomashardie  Nope, I haven’t used the Bernzomatic Flame Spreader.  Yes, the MAPP gas does burn hotter.  That’s actually why the Searzall people tell you to not use it - it can burn out the screens of the Searzall.  If you watch the setup video on their site, you’ll see that the spacing of the flame from a Propane tank is very important - and why their setup instructions are so precise.  It’s also possible to burn out your screens if you don’t do the initial seasoning/burn-in properly.  

It’s actually a shame we can’t buy odourless propane (that smell is actually added to propane and natural gas, so people know when they have a gas leak).  If it wasn’t for that additive, you wouldn’t have any chance to get odd flavours on your food.

That is one of the benefits of using something like the Searzall - keeps your foods from getting the flavour of the gas.  

I wasn’t sure what flavour MAPP gas would impart to foods, so gave it to a friend of mine to give to his father who does plumbing. :slight_smile:

I don’t use the Searzall for finishing off Creme Brûlée though - you want a finer flame if you’re doing the small mason jars in a Sous Vide bath.

As for my Sous Vide experience, nope, I’ve only been playing with it for a month or two - I just try to do my research before kicking off an experiment to make sure the results are what I should expect. :slight_smile:

Happy cooking!!! :slight_smile:

@fischersd Cool! Thanks for the info. Really interesting. The Searzall videos are now on my watch list. I just did a “sniff” test between propane and MAP gas. To me propane gives off a rotten egg smell. MAP (Bernzomatic brand) gives off less odor. The best I can describe it as is similar to kimchi, but not as pungent. Fish sauce, maybe? 

> @tthomashardie said:

To me propane gives off a rotten egg smell. 

Propane gas on its own is hard to smell. Because of this propane manufacturers - add - the smell deliberately to alert customers to possible propane leaks, which can be a safety hazard. The smell you are smelling is the odorant that is added to propane, so if a leak occurs you can smell it. 

When you are cooking meat don’t be afraid to sear in a very hot pan. Make sure the meat is dry before you start. Initially I was afraid of overcooking but a quick sear in a very hot pan does not permeate very far. I often use a small torch to do the sides of a steak while the flats are browning.

Amazon is no longer selling the Searzall. Booker and Dax emailed me, and said that Amazon assured them that the Searzall attachment would begin to be sold again on December 8th. Of course, it didn’t happen. I’m frustrated because I just bought an Anova and have nothing to sear with. I do not want the taste of the torch.

I recommend the Bernzomatic BZ4500HS Heat Shrink Torch. It’s similar to the TS-8000, but has a wider, more spread-out flame.

Modernist Cuisine recommend to use MAPP gas in preference to butane or propane, due to the hotter flame and less odour transfer.

Michi.

Would an electric paint gun work? Temperatures up to 1000 degrees.

I suspect not. Butane and propane burn at around 1900 ºC (3450 ºF), so the paint gun will probably not be hot enough. I imagine that you could probably get the outside looking right, but it’ll take longer, meaning that you’d likely transfer too much heat into the interior of the meat.

Michi.

I found one on eBay but the price threw me for a loop.

Searzall Torch Attachment on eBay

Something else that works really well is a propane weed burner. It requires close attention.

It is for outdoors only. It works well if the meat is on a barbecue rack in a barbecue.

Oh holy mackerel, I want one of these. I will use it for searing meat. Yes, that’s all just searing meat. A little ribeye? Not a problem. A Boston Butt? Light that sucker up.