Unable to get my Precision Cooker to Connect to WiFi at initial setup

Just got my Anova New Precision Cooker out of the box and am attempting to set it up via the Anova app. I have followed all of the instructions (WiFi standards, distance from router, updated version, reloaded the app, etc) and still get the “Something isn’t right” error message. Have tried on my iPhone 8 as well as my new iPad Pro.

Help!

This is really feeling like a fairly common problem, but I’m not sure that anyone here can help you. Might be best to speak to Support directly.

I get the same consistently also. I have resorted to using Bluetooth. If there is a fix, it would be awesome to know.,.

When I had this issue, upon suggestion fro mthe support staff, I deleted the app, restarted the iPhone downloaded the latest version 3.1.2 and I have been able to connect smoothly.

No strange charater in you wifi SSID (count space as strange :-{ ) and your password.

I heard/saw others having similar issues with specific routeurs

Thanks everyone for the help! I have an “" in my wifi name…changed it, and it worked the first time. I suppose "” is classified as a “strange character”. I’d not seen any feedback on that causing issues…just a space in the name.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yes. SPACE is a strange character in most computer speak.

My 2 cents…
It’s an oversight in the coding of their software that they’ve never addressed. They really should if they want to be considered customer focused, but for some reason it apparently sits low on their list of priorities.

1 Like

This is precisely the reason why I can’t accept their astronomical prices. Even their “Black Friday Sale” is a deceptive farce. I’m curious to see how their competition will fill the void.

While I think that Anova really could really use an overhaul of their software (or at least of their software testing process!!!) I find their app to be only a “nice to have”. I personally don’t use the app or the on board timer.
I consider the Anova to be the best available immersion sous vide device for my needs as it is a good quality device sold at a decent price point and it has an on board control panel (no dependencies on a phone based application as is used on the Joule). I’ve been using one of the older WiFi units for two years now, as well as an Anova Nano that I purchased a year ago. I’ve never had any problems with either unit, so I’m quite satisfied. Of course this won’t be everyone’s experience, but it has been mine! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Must admit. I’m rather glad that I bought mine 3 years ago when it was an affordable AUD 150ish for the WiFi device. Because at the current ‘discounted’ prices of almost double that for the new device that has bee detailed as ‘annoyingly noisy’ I wouldn’t be an Anova user, I’d have been searching for another brand.

1 Like

Someone please help me understand why steaks go in the bath for 1 to 4 hours. Is one the minimum. And 4 the max for a temp. And why do long for 4 hours?

This is a common question and there are a lot of responses to it on the forum.

Variability is the simplest answer. What is a steak? It can be cut to many thicknesses. It can come from several different parts of the animal. A steak from the front section of the ribs will be different to one from the rear rib section. What sort of texture do you expect from your steak? While a grilling steak is usually cut from a more naturally tender muscle group, some people want to be able to cut it with a fork.

Sous vide directions are usually given as a range to help cover the variability of cut. Also, the sous vide process is one in which things happen slowly. A thin piece of steak that is thin enough to be heated to bath temperature in the core in one hour will not undergo much noticeable change in texture if left in the bath for 4 hours.

Hi @Cpatten93

In Short: When your steak has reached temperature equilibrium it is “done”. The longer you leave your steak in the bath the more tender it becomes. Generally most feel you can leave it in the bath for up to four hours and the texture of your steak will remain pretty much what you are used to when cook a steak traditionally. Leaving it in longer will let it continue to become more tender, though the texture may vary from what you expect for a steak.

There is a video on YouTube where some guys experimented with cooking steak for some extreme lengths of time that you might find useful: Sous Vide Steak TIME EXPERIMENT - How long should you cook your STEAK? - YouTube

First off let me say that when you cook sous vide the first thing you want to ensure is that your food will be safe to eat. “Whole muscle” beef cuts, unlike poultry, do not require time in the bath long enough to kill off various microorganisms to be considered safe to eat, but if the item being cooked will be eaten by someone with a compromised immune system you probably should still cook it to pasteurization.

So when cooking your steak you first off want to ensure that it is cooked long enough to reach temperature equilibrium (ie that the steak is the same temp as the bath all the way through). The amount of time necessary to do so will vary depending on thickness. Look to the tables found in Baldwin’s A practical guide to sous vide cooking. for everything you might need to know about safe cook times.

Best of luck!

Edit: I see @Ember has already responded to your question while I got distracted writing mine! I agree with everything she said as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like