Whole Chicken, Skinned and Broken Down

I’m developing a recipe. I am taking a whole chicken, skinning it, and breaking it down.
So I’m left with bone-in drumstick, thigh, wings, and boneless chicken breast and tenders. Today I cut those into 1" pieces.

What would the temperature and time be for cooking the boneless breasts and tenders in one bag and the drumsticks and thighs in another bag? I prefer to begin with both bags being put in at the same time (and same temperature obviously), but maybe remove the breasts and tenders before the drumsticks and thighs.

I could cook bone-in breasts, but sometimes I prefer to use the whole chicken frame to make broth.
I may also want a variation where I use bone-in chicken breasts.

Serious Eats says, about cooking boneless chicken breasts:
Tender and juicy for cold chicken salad: 150°F (66°C) … 1 to 4 hours
Very soft and juicy, served hot: 140°F (60°C) … 1 & 1/2 to 4 hours

Ember wrote elsewhere on this forum
“The two temperatures ‘requirement’ for chicken is entirely personal preference. I, personally, use 140F/60C for all of my chicken and enjoy the luscious juiciness of the thighs. I cook all my chicken to pasteurisation as recommended by Baldwin22. The breasts usually get around 2.5 hours, by thickness, and the thighs around 4 hours.” chicken thighs and chicken breast - #2 by Ember
Anybody else have suggestions?

I’d never cook breasts over 60C/140F, but I have been known to use 65C/149F for thighs when I’m in a hurry.

Web, consider the purpose or end result of the recipe you’re developing. What are your expectations? Other than having cooked chicken pieces why are you doing this? Why did you choose to cut the chicken into 1" pieces?

You don’t reveal the size of the now-dismembered chicken so forecasting
precise timing is difficult. Not maybe, but certainly cook 1" pieces less than bone-in dark meat if i understand what you cut correctly.

As this is a first test cook you might want to average the Serious Eats temperatures and cook the pieces of breast meat for 2 hours and leg meat for 4 hours. Then you judge your degree of satisfaction with the outcomes and plan for any time and temperature adjustments to your next recipe development test cook. Expext to do many tests until your results exactly meets your expectations.

Welcome to the lengthy process of recipe development.

1 Like

While not the same as your approach, you might find this video interesting. Gives temps and times, too. These guys have a ton of sous vide-related episodes.