Why does my phone have to be on 2.5 Ghz wifi?

I’m trying to wrap my head around the requirement for my iPhone to be on the 2.5ghz network for the device to connect to the wifi. And i can’t find it.

I’m hoping someone from Anova can provide the detailed technical reason.

It doesn’t make any sense, With any other wireless device i have in my house the process is any one of the following:

1. phone uses Bluetooth to send Wifi SSID and password to APC,
    APC joins the wifi network. Done

2. APC creates Ad-hoc wifi network,
    phone joins network, configures the APC
    APC joins the new WiFi Network, Done

Either way, The APC can’t even join the wifi network until it has the SSID and password, so it doesn’t matter if the phone is on 5ghz, or even another network.

My phone can talk to the APC from anywhere in the world, once it’s on wifi, so again, the “must be on the same 2.4gzh to setup” seems odd.

And if the APC is relying on some sort of IP/ARP method to discover the phone: it has to already be on the wifi, and would still need to use the Bluetooth out-of-band to know the address of the phone (or vice/versa).

I’m just not getting it, I don’t want to call out the devs or testers for not understanding how packets move in wireless networks, but it sure seems like it.

knowing the technical specs of how the communication works would help a lot with diagnosing why the APC can’t connect correctly.

This is how they wrote the app. The APC only has the 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n radio.
Yes, your initial authentication with the iPhone and APC is over Bluetooth. (also serves as a redundant connection in the new/upcoming app). All of the setup is done over bluetooth.
If you’ve named your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks with the same SSID, then just disable the 5GHz network for setup.
Once the APC has been setup, it will remember the network. Your iPhone doesn’t need to be on that 2.4GHz band again unless you want it to be.
Once the APC connects to wifi, it establishes a connection to ANova’s cloud (hence, how you can connect to it over any data path - cellular or wifi).

Me, I think they should have just used WPS to simplify the hell out of it…

1 Like

But if they’re named differently it shouldn’t be a problem?

If they are named the same, why does it matter? the APC only has a 2.4ghz chip, so it can only see and speak to the 2.4ghz SSID. There is no need to disable the 5ghz network.

And nothing here implies the phone has to be on the same network, since all the config is done over bluetooth. So the requirement to “Connect your Phone to your 2.4GHz WI-FI network - If you have two network names with the same name” still doesn’t make any sense

If they’re named the same, then you don’t have any control over which one your iPhone is connected to during the setup process. It needs to be on the 2.4GHz band to pass that information to the APC.

The app is written to pass the network credentials for whatever wifi network your phone is connected to, to the APC during setup.

What’s hard to understand??

1 Like

But you stated that all the setup is done over Bluetooth, (since the APC isn’t yet connected to the WiFi), so it shouldn’t matter

Ahh, so the real requirement is that the phone has to use whatever SSID is the 2.4GHz network, that the APC will be using, since you can’t manually set the SSID.

And really, if your 5 and 2.4GHz networks have the SAME SSID it’s better, since the APC will use the correct SSID, but only connect to the 2.4GHz network (since it doesn’t have a 5GHz chip anyway)

So, the WiFi trouble shooting guide here: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/205924616-Precision-Cooker-WI-FI-Connectivity-Troubleshooting needs a rewrite.

This sentence:

Connect your Phone to your 2.4GHz WI-FI network - If you have two network names with the same name - For example “My WIFI Name” and “My WIFI Name-5G” - choose “My WIFI”. The Precision Cooker WI-FI works best with a 2.4GHz connection.

Should say:

Connect your Phone to your 2.4GHz WI-FI network - If you have two network names with the different names - For example “My WIFI Name” and “My WIFI Name-5G” - make sure you are using the 2.4GHz network: “My WIFI”. The Precision Cooker WI-FI only works with a 2.4GHz connection, and will only join the SSID the phone is currently using.

I know I’m being pedantic, but it’s frustrating to follow instructions that don’t seem to sense.

Heh. Just be on the 2.4GHz SSID with your phone during setup. After that, it doesn’t matter.

I don’t know for sure, but just a thought:

Don’t forget that SSID is just a friendly, non-unique name for the network - the WiFi access point is defined by the BSSID (the Wifi router’s MAC address).

So if you’re connected to SSID “network” on 5GHz, the BSSID might be 11:11:11:11:11:11. And that’s what would get passed via Bluetooth to the Anova unit. But the 2.4GHz BSSID (with the same SSID) might be 11.11.11.11.11.22.

Make sense?

this is basically the case