Anova Recipe Club #2 - Hoisin-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

After my personal fried chicken fail, I'm more than happy to share that we'll be moving on to something a little easier. We'll also provide a backup recipe in case you're not in the mood for pork this time around. So here's the next recipe:

Hoisin-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-hoisin-glazed-pork-tenderloin

Not feeling the pork? Try out the Salmon with Hoisin Sauce instead!

If you want to try out something else with hoisin sauce, share your photos and the recipe so we can all try it out!

For our poll on the next recipe, it might be easier to keep the recipes under a theme so we're still cooking similar recipes to share but have more wiggle room to be creative and choose something to our own liking. Let me know what you think of the options in the poll!

@jordan Try the links they do not seem to work fro me in IE or Firefox.

I might give this one a try. The recipe calls for 145°F; last tenderloin I did I used 136°F and it was perfect for me.

@john.jcb are you finding this to be the case with other links and features as well? I am assuming that would be a bigger issue we need to tackle with our dev team, but I’m not positive. Thank you for the FYI!! Checking on this.

Picked up the pork tenderloin at the store - I plan to cook this tonight, woohoo! Will post photos :slight_smile:

I had a pork rebellion this past weekend. Seems as though everyone was tired of it. I get mine at Costco and they come in 2 packages of 2 each and we had just finished the last one earlier in the week. I made sirloin steak instead. I had planned on making the Hoisin Glazed pork along with a second on of Pork Tenderloin Char Siu. This is the reddish BBQ pork you get in Asian restaurants.

I did a different variation of this. I started off by making my own hoisin because I needed it to be delicious and gluten free. I took that and mixed it with some sake, garlic, soy sauce and some sugar. I sealed that with my pork and cooked it at 140 F for an hour and a half. Once it was done I pulled it out and fired up the smoker. I brushed the tenderloin with some honey and threw it on the smoker and let it soak up some smoke. Delicious smokey and sweet and so tender and moist.

@jordan What happened to your pork? Pictures?

@john.jcb Yes! I have them! I meant to brighten them up a bit since I didn’t have the best lighting so I’ll do that now and throw them up. I ended up substituting the tenderloin for top loin chops which actually worked out pretty well. I prepped the meat on Tuesday and tossed it into the freezer so everything was ready to go right when I got home from work Wednesday (love that!) It was a quick and easy recipe to finish, too. All the chops needed after my Precision Cooker was done with them was a fresh coat of hoisin sauce and a quick sear. I also did a tasty side of sprouts with goat cheese that I was very pleased with - I took photos of those, too! Will put them up in a few minutes :slight_smile:

@ChefKyleSwanbeck Love that you made your own hoisin sauce! Can you share how you made it?

Here's the hoisin-glazed pork, from the vacuum-sealed and seasoned chops that went into the freezer on Tuesday to Wednesday's dinner. I'll add the brussels sprouts photos next, I actually used some of the pork in them since I didn't have any bacon on hand so they had a lovely Anova-fied twist. BTW, @john.jcb - is the pork rebellion still going strong?

And here are the brussels sprouts! For these, I steamed the sprouts then chopped up and sautéed one of the pork loins with half a chopped red onion after precision cooking the pork. I also drained poured the baggoo in with the onions and pork - yum! Added in the sprouts, a little butter and balsamic, then topped it off with some goat cheese to serve. Seriously…delicious.

@jordan I have a small bag of brussels sprouts (they’re expensive in this part of the world) in the fridge while I look for a way of cooking them with the anova, any suggestions?

Also, may I ask, has “baggoo” been officially adopted by Anova?

@jordan Here is the way I made my hoisin. I have found that a lot of the ones you can buy in the store that are gluten free have a off tatste to them so I started playing around and came up with this after adapting it from several different recipes. I have found this has a good flavor and super simple to make it. It also stores pretty well. Anyway here is the recipe that I came up with.

1 tablespoon neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 cup red miso paste
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar (I used standard rice vinegar)

1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and five-spice powder and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.

2. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook, whisking or stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

I just let it cool nicely before using it. I have also made it without the five-spice for people that think it can be a little overpowering and it still tastes really good.

Sorry the format of that didn’t come out as well as when I typed it in here so it all looks a bit jumbled

@ChefKyleSwanbeck Thanks for the recipe. I like making sauces and dressings from scratch as well so you know what is in them. Making smaller quantities that are used quickly I believe also results in a fresher more lively tasting product. Once you have done a few I think most people would be amazed how easy and inexpensive it is.

@jordon dressings are a good use for all the herbs you will have once your garden gets going.

Simon_C said:
@jordan I have a small bag of brussels sprouts (they're expensive in this part of the world) in the fridge while I look for a way of cooking them with the anova, any suggestions?

Also, may I ask, has "baggoo" been officially adopted by Anova?

@Simon_C For your Brussells sprouts try this: halve each one and place in a bowl pour some olive oil over them and then add balsamic vinegar and toss. I then lay them out cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 204° C until they are soft and start to blacken. I serve them mixed with coarsely cut cooked bacon, salt and pepper. Not sous vide but delicious. I think the caramelizing sweetens them.

That is my one of my favorite ways to make Brussels. You can’t go wrong with adding bacon to them. It is just a match made in heaven

@ChefKyleSwanbeck I see you work at Sur la table. I think this store was instrumental in building my interest in cooking. I am dating myself but back long before the internet and personal computers I remember going to the original store at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. After a coffee at the only Starbucks and I would wander through this gem. It was not like the new spacious stores. There were way too many items crammed into the store. This made it an adventure every time as you never knew what you might find. Also there was no easy way to look things up and see what they were so I was constantly asking about this and that. I would set my sights on something and start saving for it. As a poor college student at the time I often went to the market at closing to get produce at rock bottom prices so they did not have to cart it home. I still have a little French truffle slicer that I got there after they told me how great it was for shaving hard Parmesan cheese, Something I did not need but had to have. I also recall lusting after the European knives all well out of my price range. The sights, smells and sounds of the market are still fresh in my mind even though I live a half country away.

Made this again tonight it was fantastic. Love my anova… Hoisin-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

Made this again tonight it was fantastic. Love my anova.. Hoisin-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

That looks delicious!!!